"Broomhandel"

Started by buckshot roberts, January 31, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

I'm a big fan of these old model 96-c mauser's, my first one was back in the 80's ordered it from the shotgun news for about 200 bucks. I got my hands on anothrer one this past year, it's in the 7.63 mauser, and made around the 1930's. until today I had not had time to try it out. I got some ammo for the Ammunitionstore.com,(PPU) in 85gr FMJ) made in Serbia,The 50 rounds I usedtoay worked very good.This one came with the shoulder stock and a few other items

Thise Trangent rearsight's go from 50-1000 yards, i'll never do a 1000 yards , today it was 25-50-100 yards,these last two with the stock on

I'm trying not to lose these 10 round stripper clips.........Ron

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

These broomhandles intrigue me.  I do not find them handsome, handy, or practical, yet I keep coming back to them and keep thinking I would like to have one.   They are most definitely unique and a part of firearm history.

That rear tangent sight is a little optimistic isn't it?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Cool!

The 50 and 100 yd groups look about the same size.

Ditto to what RBH said.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice, would love to own one but i would have to have a handgun licence and you basically need to through everything but a cavity search to get one. plus that would bring the constabulary around more often to do inspections.

Had one about 3 weeks ago, everything was sweet.

I saw one of those in Lawrence of Arabia and thought how cool is that, especially with the buttstock, very nice looking piece of German engineering.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

22hornet

I can remember when these things sold for a few hundred dollars each in OZ back in the mid / late 80's.

Funny pistol. I would love to own one, if just for the talking piece.
I wonder if anyone ever tried to shoot them out to 1000 yards?

Sir Winston Churchill used one at the Battle of Omdurman.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

I seriously doubt one could get the ".30 caliber" cartridge these pistols use, to get out to 1000 meters unless raised to "maximum" elevation. The cartridge is pretty anemic. These sights were just cannibalized from the K-98 rifles and put on the pistols. I'm pretty sure nobody had any expectation of causing ANY damage at ranges much beyond 250 meters.

I have mixed emotions about these old nazi arms. I have a very deep-seated hatred for the nazis. As a whole, they were a VERY bad bunch of people. I lived very close to Auschwitz and I have seen films that weren't released until fairly recently about the "back story" on the death camps, including the abomination called Buchenwald. I'm not particularly prone to squeamishness, but honestly, those movies made me sick to my stomach and disturbed me for a long time. I cannot handle nazi firearms and not be reminded of what those animals did.

That said, a firearm is an inanimate object. To assign any "evil" or any other human characteristic to an inanimate object is just plain stupid. (Such assignments are of course made  every day by those that want to disarm the public and arm the governments.) I CAN, if I force myself, look at nazi firearms objectively for the engineering excellence that they are. Nonetheless, I am simply emotionally unable to separate the object from those that used it.

When it comes to "maschinenpistolen", I associate those exclusively with nazi officers, and particularly the SS. The k-98 on the other hand was an infantryman's weapon, and infantrymen were 'drafted' or fought from a patriot's point of view, not necessarily a political (pro-nazi) perspective.

I'm not splitting hairs to salve my own "wants", neither am I "bad-mouthing" the firearm or its ownership. Rather I am simply explaining that I cannot handle or look at one without it bringing unpleasant thoughts to mind. They are 'cool' tools, interestingly engineered, that were used by some of the worst human beings to walk the face of the earth. So while I own A LOT of firearms that were once in nazi hands, I find myself unable to 'get around' the images I have of SS officers carrying "maschinenpistolen" as they so enthusiastically "managed" the death camps.

My apologies to all of you for "raining on the parade". I don't want to be the "buzz kill" that ends this thread. I really am happy for BSR's acquisition. SOMEBODY needs to keep these weapons out of the hands of the idiots that would destroy them simply because they were designed and used by the nazis. I would certainly purchase/acquire any that I thought were going to be destroyed by those idiots. Otherwise, I'll leave their preservation to those that don't have the emotional association with them that I do.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

The only one I have fired was a Chinese copy in .45 acp, rattled like a sewing machine with a worn out head.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

buckshot roberts

Paul I respect your point, I don't care to much for nazis, or the like myself..............
As for shooting a 1000 yards......one may put up a white bed sheet an see were it hit's.........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

how do you like the feel and fit of that grip while you're shooting it?  Is it steady enough?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

The whole "kit" is just too cool. Typical Teutonic engineering.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Kool piece Buckshot.  I too have looked them over,  but the darn price keeps  getting in the way.

buckshot roberts

RBH'n, the fit is good :D with the stock on it's awsome. the gun is in very good shape .Ron

RatherBHuntin

LOL, after a couple years in the barracks, I guess a broom handle would fit my hand just fine.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

gitano

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;123929LOL, after a couple years in the barracks, I guess a broom handle would fit my hand just fine.

:D:D:D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

Tags: