Cheapest Ammo For A Rifled Shotgun

Started by Luke, January 20, 2005, 05:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

I`ve been spending sooo much money on ammo this deer season.  Rem. Buckhammer is $9.00.  Winchester Sabots are $7.00.  I was just wondering if anybody knows of cheap ammo that is pretty accurate through a rifled shotgun.  I have a Rem. 870.  It`s just too much money for all the other bullets.  It`s average is $2.00 a bullet.  I need cheaper ammo that can be fired through a rifled barrel.

drinksgin (deceased)

Quote from: LukeI`ve been spending sooo much money on ammo this deer season. Rem. Buckhammer is $9.00. Winchester Sabots are $7.00. I was just wondering if anybody knows of cheap ammo that is pretty accurate through a rifled shotgun. I have a Rem. 870. It`s just too much money for all the other bullets. It`s average is $2.00 a bullet. I need cheaper ammo that can be fired through a rifled barrel.
Luke;
Both Rem. and Win.  have slugs for less than $2.75 for 5, If you do reload, Lee has a 12ga slug mold for about $20.
Any slug will work in a rifled barrel.
Get a MidwayUSA or Southern Shooters Supply catalog, both are available online.

Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

45-70 Rifleman

The single biggest component cost of making ammunition is the bullets.  The more lead and brass in the bullet, the more you will spend.  That is why .223 is so cheap to shoot, .243 costs a bit more, 30-06 starts hitting the pocketbook, .375 HH is expensive, and shooting a .458 takes a second job.  Unfortunately, you chose to shoot a .70 caliber!   Now that's a lot of lead to buy and throw away.  Even if you don't shoot the sabots, and you go to cheap foster type slugs, you still are going to have to pay for all that lead.  My suggestion is that if you are set in shooting your 870 with slugs that you buy ammo by the case to get it a little cheaper.

quigleysharps4570

Quote from: drinksginIf you do reload, Lee has a 12ga slug mold for about $20.Don
That's the only cheap route you're gonna find Luke. You must be doing alot of target practice, cause a 5 count box of factory shells should have you a freezer plumb full of deer.

Tags: