My first blackpowder

Started by Hunterbug, April 16, 2012, 11:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I've been interested in getting a muzzle loader for a while. I like the traditional look, no in-lines for me. So this morning I was out cruzing the pawnshops, I really need to quit that, and I came across a couple of double barrel percission shotguns. One was a CVA that had some surface rust and was not in that great a shape. The other was a Dixie Gun Works that was in significantly better shape. They were both the same price, $180. I left the store and called Gitano and had him look them up for me. In his typical understated way he said that I REALLY should buy it and that if I didn't want it to let him know. So, I went back and bought it. I thought that they were both 12ga but when I took a closer look at the Dixie I found that it's a 10ga. So I am now the proud owner of a double barrel black powder 10ga shotgun. I guess that I'm ready for some waterfowl hunting with JaDub this fall. :MOGRIN: The final cost was $195 and they threw in a case too. Now I need to learn how to use it.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

Don't know much about them, but it looks to be in good shape, congrats!!!!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

That has gioose gun written all over it  . . . . . literally!!!

SWEET!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

I`m looking forward to an `all black powder`  duck hunt this fall.   That should be a ball !  

JaDub

Hunterbug

JaDub, that would be a kick! I can't wait to do that.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Alboy

My pet load for mine is

By volume

80 grain of 2F, 777 or 3F; the latter two give a little more energy and recoil.
3 each 9 gauge cards from Circle Fly .025" Overshot Cards
80 grain by volume Bismuth #1, #2 or #4 shot.
1 each 9 gauge .025 overshot card.

I use the 3 cards as they are easier to ram home than 1 .070 card or a .125 card

Try this simple stack first and then if you have pattern problems start working with other combinations. Not to exclude plastic shot cups as in modern shotshell if you have to, they are a bear to ram home though.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

QuoteSo this morning I was out cruzing the pawnshops, I really need to quit that,
No kidding! The LAST time he did that I ended up with a "new" shotgun!

Nice piece! I told him that if he didn't buy it, I would! I also told him that if he decided he didn't want it, I'd buy it from him. He stole it. They're retailing at Dixie Gun Works for $875 on sale.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I found a little shop just down the street that specializes in muzzle loaders and stuff so I ran down. He was out of black powder until next week so I got a can of Pyrodex FFG equivalent. He also had 100 packs that included all the cards and padding that I needed for 100 loads, that was convient. I think that for now I'll just go with 1oz of shot so about how much powder should I load with that? I don't need a super killer load, just something light to play with and maybe take a rabbit or grouse with.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Have you been able to check on the Pedersoli?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

For your load it can be pretty simple.

Pick a measure. A used shotshell works nicely.

Pour in the shot load you want to use. Mark the level it comes to and cut the shotshell off at that point.

Now you have a by volume powder and shot measure.

Fill it with powder and put that in the shotgun.
Over powder card and cushin wading as you see fit.
Use the same measure for shot, pour it in.
Over shot card.

SHOOT.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Hunterbug

Paul, I have it here in my hot little hands. Your wife is gonna block my number if she doesn't just hang me.:hanged:  :D

Thanx, Al. So just go with my 1oz of shot and the same volume of powder.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

So... HB bought the Pedersoli too. 'Cept he got it for me. :D

It's got some rust on it, but from the pictures, it all looks like it is 'removable'. He talked the shop owner down to $125 plus tax. Works for me!

He took some pictures of it, and when I get a chance I'll post them. So now I too have a ML shotgun. :D

Thanks, HB!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Quote from: Hunterbug;119924Paul, I have it here in my hot little hands. Your wife is

Thanx, Al. So just go with my 1oz of shot and the same volume of powder.

Exactly

If it wont pattern then we can start getting complicated.

for starters the simple approach is best.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Hunterbug

Thanx, Al. Hopefully it'll pattern and not be a problem.  The range is closed on Monday but maybe next week I'll get to try it out.

Paul, what are friends for? :D

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Ha! I'm not the only one that's 'double clutching'...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: