African Series: 338 Sabi

Started by CAfrica, January 19, 2005, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAfrica

One of the classic "old" African calibres which gained an excellent reputation for anything up to the largest non dangerous game was the old 318 Westley Richards.  This rifle launched a long, heavy for calibre 250gr bullet at 2350ft/s.

With the demise of this cartridge (and the similar 333 OKH), there was a gap between the 30-06 class rifles and the larger 375 H&H magnum.  For bushveld application, the 338 Magnum was regarded as too fast.  What hunters wanted was a bushveld calibre in the same class as the old 318 Westley Richards. Because of the popularity of the 338 Magnum, 338 bullets have become readily available in a large range of weights and configurations.

The solution therefore was the 338 Sabi.  Ballistically similar to the 338-06, it is not one.  The Sabi's case is blown out so that it is more of 9.3x62 necked down to 338.  This was done not to increase velocity, but to lower pressure. This cartridge is also very easy on the shoulder for such a heavy bullet (recoil is about in the 30-06 class).

The cartridge was developed around the 250gr bullet at 2350ft/s. Although it will launch the 200grainer at about 2900ft/s this defeats the object of the calibre, which is:

• Low velocity for minimal meat damage, acceptable bullet performance from conventional construction bullets and deep penetration.
Sabi rifles load this bullet commercially (correctly headstamped, they also supply correctly headstamped cases for the reloader and are the only source of reloading dies) and they will also load any bullet of your choice upon request.

The cartridge is a proprietary cartridge of Magnum Arms (Sabi Rifles) and as a custom shop obviously they also build custom rifles for it (on any components of the client's choice and to any specification).

This is a truly African cartridge which has over the last 10 years gained quite a following. This cartridge is capable of taking on the largest non dangerous game including Eland and Giraffe.

C

Noyb72

C
Can you get me in touch with Sabi?
My twenty year old is quickly becoming a gun nut. For his birthday I was going to rebarrel a Savage 110 to .338-06 AI. However, he (along with the rest of my family,) is from Durban (sorry if I screwed up the spelling.) You could not imagine his joy in recieving an African chambered rifle. If I could paint it in Springbok colors, he woulod enjoy it even more. No, I'm not going to paint this rifle.
Thanks
Ron

Hunterbug

Noyb72, ok so I have to ask; your 20 year old was born when you were 12???????
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

CAfrica

Noyb72

C
Got there and looks great, Thanks.
Hunterbug
He's my oldest stepson. My wife is older than me. I would tell you how much older, but then I'd have to kill you (right before she killed me! :p :p ) Thanks for noticing.

Ron

Hunterbug

Noyb72, you go boy! Before my wife I dated a Woman that was 14 years older than me. Her oldest was 3 years younger than me so I know where you're coming from. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

kombi1976

Quote from: CAfricaOne of the classic "old" African calibres which gained an excellent reputation for anything up to the largest non dangerous game was the old 318 Westley Richards. This rifle launched a long, heavy for calibre 250gr bullet at 2350ft/s.
On a side note, Woodleigh of Australia is now making bullets for the Westley Richards should anyone have a rifle that they wish to use. One is a 250gn RNSN and the other is a 250gn FMJ.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: