Not sure where to put this...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), March 06, 2012, 05:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

But was inspired by he-who-will-remain-nameless to cobble together an electronic caller;  
(Oh and waiting for those mp3's....;))
Unable to afford a foxpro - all singing all dancing lcd remote something wrong light and make a cup of tea - caller and being brassic  - necessity being mother of invention, here's my slant!
Notice the green with envy...:greentongue:

Anyroad, not in the pictures but I have a HP HX4700 pda which will play the tracks / play-lists that I want to use.
Amp has a usb 'charge' output should keep the pda happy for prolonged use, battery is a 12v 9amp hour lead acid gel cell and was half the price of a 10amp hour battery.

Thought this was a reasonable use of an old ammo box and some duct tape!

Not even thought about remote control yet... do not think that I could turn this sow's ear into a foxpro!!!

:MOGRIN:
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Wow! You continue to impress with your ingenuity!

We might need a separate subsite just for the things THLers come up with.

Actually, I REALLY like the packaging. Compact - handle for carrying - two speakers. Great idea! I am motivated to get those 'voices' downloaded.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Joe, look at some very cheap R/C toys, should have something that would work an on - off switch or relay at a reasonable distance.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;119230Joe, look at some very cheap R/C toys, should have something that would work an on - off switch or relay at a reasonable distance.
Yeah that is easy enough!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

TackyDriver

Sweet setup. Maybe folks needing a predator caller could use it, and still play tunes. When you want to scare them away, one could play Dead Kennedys.:smiley:
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Connected it all up this evening and gave it a test run.
Well it is certainly loud!!!

Would not want to use for music as the speakers response are a bit tinny!!!
Fine for an audiobook though.

Hmmm will take it next time I go to the seaside fishing! Zzzzzzzzzz!!!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Truth is there was nothing difficult or terribly expensive about this little box of tricks.

1 old ammo box
1 put to use old pda
1 rinky dink amplifier from evilpay
1 12v gel battery from evilpay
2 'horn' weatherproof speakers from evilpay
1 audio patch lead, you guessed it - from evilpay
2 2.1mm DC power connectors, yeah, evilpay

The amp £17 (was going to use £3 amp but saw the one with the usb power out.. + I'm lazy...)
The two horns £17.95
The battery £16.95
Patch leads / power connectors £4.50
Rest of stuff is 'recycled' - moi? green? nahh!

£56.40 all in - $90 ish  Not exactly extortionate and is loud enough to hurt the ears!
The pda can be substituted by any mp3 player.
The £3.00 - $4.80 Amplifier would work just as well and only would need 1 speaker (The amp I used was stereo - I did not want to tie outputs together or leave one channel open circuit).
So basic version would drop to £33.50 - $53

Bugger, that was £23 towards the Foxpro I've blown...
Turvey Stalking

RatherBHuntin

Very nice, I am impressed.  I love saving money and doing things myself, when they come together it's awesome.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

Joe,
  I currently have the old ammo box!! with a set of directions, I "might" be able to build it!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: davidlt89;119241Joe,
  I currently have the old ammo box!! with a set of directions, I "might" be able to build it!!! God Bless.

Here are a couple of new pics;

The 'hardest' part is drilling and mounting the speakers and amplifier i.e. not hard!

There is no fancy electronics building going on, just a battery (and I did not even use a switch - just dc power jack and socket) the amplifier, mp3 player and the speakers.
No soldering involved screw terminals on all connections. Connect battery with a power socket, connect amp with the power plug. Use some small terminal block or even some small insulated crimps to connect the speakers and finally a patch cable to your mp3 player. This was an exercise in 'kiss' (keep it simple stupid).
Trick will be the development of true remote control if it needs it.

Any problems - get in touch I'll help you where I can.

Evilpay 12v audio amps - Take your pick!

Evilpay 3.5mm jack to RCA phono   - An example, use what you need!

Evilpay DC power jacks  - Here you will find both types of power jack screw or solder.

Evilpay speakers   - Finally 'horn' speakers...

To finish off, Lipstick on the pig....

If you want me to talk you through it contact me on Skype (pm me for contact details)

Obvoiusly you need 'sounds' to play...

Varmintal.com, one of your countrymen kindly allows downloads of some useful sounds...

Download one .zip (35mb) file or visit his Coyote hunting page

Hope this gives you all some ideas!

Cheers!
Alain
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Gave it a run for real today - think I called every corvid within earshot into my back yard today...

Taking it with me tomorrow (Sat) will see if it works 'out in the wild'
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

I THOUGHT it was supposed to call foxes or did I miss something?
I hope you put out some corn/maize kernels to reward the little fellows for helping with your proofing!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was a 'test' run, but yeah original intent was for foxes!
There is a fox that runs through my back yard, I call him 'lucky'.
Turvey Stalking

sakorick

If Lucky is as smart as my cat named Lucky, you will probably never get him. Nice rig....I like the camo too. :DRegards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: sakorick;119290If Lucky is as smart as my cat named Lucky, you will probably never get him. Nice rig....I like the camo too. :DRegards, Rick.

Nahh 'lucky' in as much as when I see him the rifle is locked in the cabinet!!!!
Turvey Stalking

Tags: