Starting out shooting muzzleloaders

Started by Jorge in Oz, February 19, 2012, 02:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Hi Guys,

I have just been bitten by the blackpowder bug and I'm searching for a first rifle. I have found two I'm interested in one is a Pedersoli 32 cal squirrel rifle with a 40 inch barrel and all the bits and bobs thrown in and the other is a 45 cal Uberti Hawken. Both are percussion ignition which I prefer.

Now they talk about patched ball, what do you use to patch the balls with and exactly what does it mean. Do you wrap the ball in a patch and then load it into the barrel? Please someone explain it to me. Also do you need to lube the balls at all or do you lube the patch.

I want to enter into the shooting comps (after some serious practice first) cause I'd like to get dressed up like Danile Boone and shoot some smoke poles for fun (watched Patriot and Last of the Mohicans too many times). So my question is should I get a 50, 54 or 58 cal instead if that is my intention to compete or start with the smaller cals?

Also what equipment will I need apart from the gunpowder, powder horn and measurer, barrel cleaner, and moulds for roundballs and minis. Also what lead works best eg wheel weights or lead from roofing or pipes? can I buy the balls already cast?

I won't have much time for deer hunting or loading for a while as our baby girl is due anytime now, so I thought I might get into this side of shooting. Also I was looking at the 32 cal squirrel rifle for shooting rabbits as there are some patches close to home that I could frequent without being too far away.

Ebay has a good collection of buckskins also. My wife reckons I just want to get dressed up with a racoon hat and the blackpowder thing is just an excuse:MOGRIN:. She's not wrong there.

Your thoughts please gentlemen.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

22hornet

Here is the muzzle loader I would be interested in.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/deerstalker-rifle.php

Good luck with it Jorge. Keep us posted as to your progress.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Alboy

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;119011Hi Guys,

I have just been bitten by the blackpowder bug and I'm searching for a first rifle. Welcome and there is no return from this point.

I have found two I'm interested in one is a Pedersoli 32 cal squirrel rifle with a 40 inch barrel and all the bits and bobs thrown in and the other is a 45 cal Uberti Hawken. Both are percussion ignition which I prefer. Believe it or not a 32 will be harder to learn on. I would go larger. 54 is my prefered size but a good deal on a 45 is not to be ignored.

Now they talk about patched ball, what do you use to patch the balls with and exactly what does it mean. Do you wrap the ball in a patch and then load it into the barrel? Simple explanation set the patch over the barrel and then start the ball letting the patch wrap around the ball. The patch is lubed, seals the ball to the rifling and protects the lead from combustion gases and cuts from rifling. Start with commercial patches and balls as life should be simple while learning. Learn to make your own patcches and balls after you learn to shoot BP. Please someone explain it to me. Also do you need to lube the balls at all or do you lube the patch.
Get a Lyman blackpowder book to start with it will be very valuable. Here are some places for starters/
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx
http://www.circlefly.com/index.html
http://www.hornady.com/

I want to enter into the shooting comps (after some serious practice first) cause I'd like to get dressed up like Danile Boone and shoot some smoke poles for fun (watched Patriot and Last of the Mohicans too many times). So my question is should I get a 50, 54 or 58 cal instead if that is my intention to compete or start with the smaller cals?

Also what equipment will I need apart from the gunpowder, powder horn and measurer, barrel cleaner, and moulds for roundballs and minis.
A "capper" is handy, this is a gadget that holds percussion caps and allows you to cap your percussion by stripping the cap from friction fingers. In lines work best for me that hold about 10 caps. There are many other styles. Get an adjustable powder measure to start. Afyter you find what load shoots best in your rifle then you can make a pretty one out of bone, or I will for you if you tell me how many grain charge it needs to be. I would try and get a rifle with a minimum of 1/48 twist or slower and use round balls. This will fit most mpuntain man (Danial Boone) reenactments better also.
 Also what lead works best eg wheel weights or lead from roofing or pipes? can I buy the balls already cast?
Pure lead only. Alloys will be prohibitively difficult to force down the barrel.

I won't have much time for deer hunting or loading for a while as our baby girl is due anytime now, so I thought I might get into this side of shooting. Also I was looking at the 32 cal squirrel rifle for shooting rabbits as there are some patches close to home that I could frequent without being too far away.
I get the idea you Aussies don't normally eat the bunnies any way so blow big holes in them. If food is part of the deal learn to head shoot. Effective range most likely 40 meters or less for head shots.

Ebay has a good collection of buckskins also. My wife reckons I just want to get dressed up with a racoon hat and the blackpowder thing is just an excuse:MOGRIN:. She's not wrong there.  
Your thoughts please gentlemen.

Cheers

Jorge

Sounds like fun, come on in the waters fine.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Oh yea and a possibles bag (man purse) to carry all the necessities you will soon need.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Patches from Track of the Wolf plus shipping
Shooting patches, .018" pillow ticking, .40 - .49 caliber, per 100, wonder-lube Price: $5.99
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jorge in Oz

Thanks Alboy for your feedback, very valuable. Will look at the 45 but will keep an eye out for a 50 or 54 cal.

Love the Euro man bag, will have get me one too. :biggthumpup:

Nice poles 22hornet, haven't seen many of those in Oz though.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

quigleysharps4570

Welcome to the blackpowder world Jorge. :biggthumpup:

gitano

I don't know what it is about shooting BP firearms, but I simply can't wipe the grin off of my face after a shot. It is just TOO MUCH FUN!

I'm not experienced enough to offering any advice other than to pay attention to Al and quigleysharps4570. They know what they're talking about. You're gonna hear that flintlocks are "a lot of trouble" - at least I did. BALONEY! And they are even more fun to shoot than percussion BP! However, they ARE a bit more spendy for the rifles. I don't have a rifle, but I have a pistol, and it is the single most fun to shoot firearm I own. No joke.

If BP/Muzzle-loading is "easier" in OZ, then you need to "get'r'done".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Well I do have both a cap'n'ball .36 Colt Navy rep and a .45 Kentucky looking thing however it has a 24" barrel and is Smooth Bore. So it can be held on the easier to acquire here Shotgun licence. It has proved surprisingly good with a 0.433" lead patched ball on the range and even hits the target at 100 yards so loaded. Shot through it was most fun and we even tried it on some clays.

Due to the restrictions empossed by the County I now reside in it had not been used for several years :cry:.

So do not rule out a smooth bore ;).
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

I would second that sentiment. Mostly, in the era of the "modern" firearm, most of the pleasure I derive from BP and ML is just plain "making it go off". When one shoots a "modern" firearm with factory ammo, all one is really doing is assembling components that someone else has fabricated and "pulling the trigger". If you make your own ML, cast your own projectiles, make your own lube, possibly even make your own BP, and then 'assemble' every "cartridge" (primer, powder, patch, and 'ball'), when you 'touch it off', it's pretty much yours.

I see ML, BP, and handloading, much like making one's own wine, beer, yogurt, cheese, sourkraut, etc. "Big" companies strive for, and achieve, consistency in their product. That's what sells. But, that's rarely what tastes best. When we buy some product made by someone else, we expect - rightly so - that we will get pretty much the same thing every time we plunk our cash down. Consistency sells, and consistently good, sells 'good'. But there is a price to pay for that consistency, and it isn't paid from the wallet. It is paid with the loss of variety.

This came home to me when I was still quite young. As a sailor stationed in Rota, Spain, I spent a considerable portion of my 'leisure' time frequenting the local 'cantinas'. What I found was that the local wines were the best wines I had ever tasted. "Store-bought" wines didn't even come close to the wines produced by every little village. Of course some years (vintages) were better than others, but savoring those great years and looking forward to the next great "vintage" is a lot of the joy of the variety that is part and parcel of life itself.

When it comes to firearms, or anything else we 'embrace' in our lives, it is spirit-numbing to seek consistency as a goal unto itself. It is far better for the human soul rather to seek 'perfection' in every 'batch', enjoy the successes, cherish "ol' Betsy", and always be looking forward to the next opportunity to be part of an excellent "vintage".

We miss now and then with muzzle loaders because of some idiosyncrasy of the equipment - powder too "wet", cap a dud, just not precise enough for the distance the game is away, etc. But the pleasure is all the sweeter when we do succeed.

Don't mean to preach, but at the root of 'it', the love of ML is really not about muzzle loaders, it's about the natural spiritual hunger we all have that is not sated by 'mechanical consistency'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

One of these days I am going to make my own black powder, just for the experience.  Like Paul said, it is satisfaction I get from doing something myself. Aanother benefit is that it is much cheaper to shoot than smokeless, at least if you are using black powder and lead ball or cast lead bullets.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

JaDub

Jorge,

I highly recommend the book entitled "Sam Fadala`s Muzzeloading Notebook" by Sam Fadala. It`s the best one I`ve seen. It covers all aspects of blackpowder shooting and, unlike many of the books out there, it is a joy to read.

ISBN 0-8329-0406-6 WINCHESTER PRESS

Cheers, JaDub

gitano

I can add my "second" to the Fadala book. In fact, I have found all of his books good reads.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: