A real winter

Started by Brithunter, February 11, 2012, 03:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Well further to the little sideways snow, Friday we had some more gentle snow falling, it fell for some hours so lucky for us it was only lightly snowing. Started just after midday here and snowed on into the night then it froze. Today Saturday awoke to  freezing fog and a temperature of -12.5 degrees C according to the car read out. The car was a bug bear to start but it finally caught. Had to stop by the post office and then onto the kennals to get doggie fodder.

It's now 12:32PM and the sun is trying to break through and it's still -10 out there. While walking the dog on the filed came across a red patch of snow which appears to be the result of a Barn Owl kill. No tracks to the disturbed patch of snow so the hit must have come from above and the rodent, I assume, was under the snow. Would ahve like to witness it but there you go. The Barn Owl patrols every day.
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

As luck would have it we've had a bit of snow the past couple of days as well. On Thursday I awoke to a couple inches that melted by midafternoon, then it started snowing again that evening and hasn't really stopped since. We have probably 3" on the ground so it hasn't been snowing hard, just sort of dusting. I'll still have to shovel the walk and apron in front of the shop before I take the dog in to get his shots.

It's been getting down to -10F regularly at night and up into the 20's and low 30's during the day.

Stay dug out BH, shoveling snow is great exercise!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Brithunter

Sheesh don't I know it.. I used muscles that my body had forgotten it had clearing the path and drive and I ached. Of course if I had a proper snow shovel it might have been easier but we don't really get enough to make that worth while.. Last night it clouded over and the wind swung around from the west so it warmed up to only -7.5 C. THis mornign it reached +2.5C so the melt has begun ready for the next freeze is a day or so according to the weather chappies on the TV.

Ahhh according to the BBC's weather site they have changed their minds again and we are not going to freeze again at least for the next week. We get cloud, possibly  bit of rain and mist and fog.  Nice.

However as it says for our post code it's raining right now and well  it's too bright for rain and the cloud is far too high an thin for rain.. As per usual they got it wrong. Will just have to see what happens.
Go Get them Floyd!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Have to ask, where is this real winter?
Have not seen it yet...

As to weather forecast, you know why the b.bs.c. cannot forecast worth a poo?
It is because they use a 'global warming' prediction model and refuse to actually forecast using observed data.

Anyroad good luck with your 24hour snowman! The 3ft of snow never arrived...gutted!:cry:
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

For weather prognostication I go to NOAA. They probably don't cover England.

NOAA is more often wrong than right as well but I can look at doppler radar, which can tell the uneducated weather observer how heavy the precipitation is and what you can expect if it's heading your way.

The snow we were supposed to get last night and today hasn't materialized yet.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: recoil junky;118910For weather prognostication I go to NOAA. They probably don't cover England.

NOAA is more often wrong than right as well but I can look at doppler radar, which can tell the uneducated weather observer how heavy the precipitation is and what you can expect if it's heading your way.

The snow we were supposed to get last night and today hasn't materialized yet.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/

RJ

Even NOAA are not free from manipulating data...

Shame that science feels the need to cook the book nowadays.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

drinksgin (deceased)

BH, your current weather description sounds very similar to what a friend described as summer weather in Glasgow where she is from, [chilly, drizzle, fog and cloudy].

;)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

recoil junky

buckshot roberts

:MOGRIN:we had one, but was gone the next day.......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Brithunter

Well it warmed up for a bit was 10 degrees C today. I hear Scotland has had it very warm and the poor ole natives are confused by it.

We still have a bit of snow here and there even though it has rained a few times. Saw a nice bright full rainbow this morning over the Wolds (Range of hills). They are forecasting more cold and frost this weekend............................ we shall see what the weekend brings.

Oh it will probably snow the 25th & 26th as that's the weekend on the big shooting show at Newark.
Go Get them Floyd!

JaDub

So...........   what`s the latest in  your court case??

JaDub

davidlt89

winter has been here. I did not think we had much snow until I went out after some coyotes. got about a foot and half on the ground!!!! has some -20 mornings last week but been real warm the last 2 days (37). All in all, a good winter so far. BH, you don't move snow around here with a shovel!!! It would take two days to clear out the driveway with just a little storm. Man needs a tractor!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

drinksgin (deceased)

Spring has sprung here, my red buds are in full bloom.

drinksgin (deceased)

I now have 2 tomatoes and 2 peppers in bloom, the early spring tomatoes are blooming now and I have 8 more ready to pot up, these will be the main crop of tomatoes.
I raise mostly determinate plants, they have one crop of fruit then fade out, so  I  
need a second and then third set to make it through the summer.
Very few make much of a crop in the summer, too hot, but a few, Celebrity and Porter's cherrys are about the only survivors.
The peppers pretty well ignore the heat if they can get enough water and a little shade in the midday.

drinksgin (deceased)

Figs have started to leaf out, pomegranite is leafing out, the wild dew berries are in full bloom and my swiss chard is big enough to start eating.
My red slicer onions are getting big and are really strong and hot, just the way we like them.
Bald eagles are really working the lake, saw 2 trips in yesterday and 3 trips today, that I saw, so no telling how many times they were actually by.

Tags: