first 45-70 reload!

Started by davidlt89, February 04, 2012, 05:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Had some time today so I thought I would load, or try to load some 45-70 rounds! I ordered an encore for a friend last week in 45-70 and went ahead and got him some components and told him I would load up some rounds for him to save some money. I had assumed since the brass was new I could go right to pouring powder and seating, but I emailed paul before getting started and he informed the case mouth would have to be expanded some even though it was new brass. So I went downstairs and changed out the dies and set up the mouth expanding die per the directions and put one of my starline brass through it. I then cleaned it off, loaded 58gr of IMR3031 and proceeded to seat a bullet. Bullet seated fine and I continued on to my coal of 2.550. here is my very first 45-70 reload.

Feeling pretty confident I had everything set, I proceeded to break out my friends winchester brass and put all 50 through the expander die. I then wiped them off and primed them all and then started dumping powder. I got about 5 shells filled and decided to try to seat a bullet in one just to make sure before I got to many loaded with powder. I put a bullet in and ran it through the die only to have it come out "crumpled". that threw me for a loop. I then tried another one and got the bullet as straight as humanly possible and tried again. the bullet seated but it still "crumpled" the case, just not as bad as the first. I adjusted the die a little closer to the shell holder and tried again, getting another crumpled case. Sooooo, I adjusted the expander die until it was almost to the shell holder and redid one of the winchester brass, then tried another bullet and it came out fine. here are the 3 that didn't make it:no:

so I certainly got a little "learning" in today with straight wall cases. One, all brass is not equal, and make sure the bullet is as straight as possible before you ram it in the die!!! I did manage to get 10 loaded up. only 40 more to go and then I will start loading for my 45-70! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Good job David. I've ruined quite  a few pieces of brass in my day. Nothing to be ashamed of.   Only thing is them bullets look funny being copper jacketed and all:grin:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

QuoteGood job David.
thank you Sir!!

Quotethem bullets look funny being copper jacketed and all
I knew you'de say that!!! I am excited to see what they do though!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Make sure the mouth of the case is belled a bit. Just enough to feel. This will help with bullet alignment. Just in case you didn't know that. ;)

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

RatherBHuntin

I think the moose in Maine just got a little more nervous
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

You really do not need to worry much about expansion when you start with a 1/2" hole in and out, does not hold the blood back much!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup:looks like your off to a good start...........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

Got the other 40 rounds loaded for my friend and loaded up 20 for myself. I may not be able to wait until spring to shoot this gun!!!! God Bless.

recoil junky

Quote from: davidlt89;118867I may not be able to wait until spring to shoot this gun!!!! God Bless.

It's NEVER too cold to shoot!!

RJ

davidlt89

actually, shooting in the winter does not bother me. however, I don't feel "testing" loads may be a good idea in the winter because of the ambient temperature. I'm not being "picky" on this load since i am shooting bear at 20 yards, so I may have to feel how it shoots soon!!!!! I have had a problem focusing open sights for about 5 years now. I have repeatedly tried to focus these ones but it seems to no avail. also cannot seem to find any fiberoptic sight available, so I ordered a leupold dual dovetail base with some medium rings, along with another nikon prostaff to mount on top. i will feel much more secure with that!!!! I also got some cleaning patches to run through it and will give it a good cleaning before putting a round through. should have the scope on next week and then look out!!! God Bless.

drinksgin (deceased)

I mount 1.5 to 2x ler scopes in an ahead of the hammer scout sight position, my problem is cataracts, which may be corrected in the near future.
With the scout scope position and the very low power, I can use both eyes in my younger days style of open sights shooting.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Quote from: drinksgin;118886I mount 1.5 to 2x ler scopes in an ahead of the hammer scout sight position, my problem is cataracts, which may be corrected in the near future.
With the scout scope position and the very low power, I can use both eyes in my younger days style of open sights shooting.

Yup...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

got my other 29 rounds loaded up for a total of 50 ready to go!!! All my cleaning supplies, mounts and base, and scope also came in tonight (the prostaffs have a "new" look, I like it!). I will be mounting a "red dot" on my friends if he can make it over here friday night. I am going to try and have my gun ready to go by next weekend at the latest and try some of my rounds out. at least get it on paper at 100. THEN........I am going to load some of those big ole 405gr cast bullets Don sent me in the mail and see how they "hit"! God Bless.

davidlt89

Going to mount my scope on sunday. Have a friend bringing over his dove tail wrench for my rings and might even get a few rounds out. on another note, got my tubbs Final finish treatment ordered for my 7mm mag. will be able to reload those up and get them down the barrel before spring and be already to see how the 160gr accubonds shoot!!!!! seems after I started reloading I have a "hankering" to shoot more!!!! Go figure!!! God Bless.

Tags: