CZ 550 Safari 505 Gibbs for Christmas

Started by Hunter308, January 14, 2012, 04:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter308

Hi Guys,
Because i was good last year Santa brought me a New Rifle so thought i would share

Parker Hale 1100 Deluxe 7x57, CZ 505 Gibbs, Thompson Precision Hunter 204R, BRNO Model 2 .22

RatherBHuntin

Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

very nice looking rifle!! congrats! interested on hearing how it shoots! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

No way you were that good last year. :grin:I missed a used one of those in 375 H&H a few years back and every time I see one now I mentally kick myself.:Banghead:
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Alboy

Nice

Expecting an elephant charge in your neck of the woods?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

klallen

sweet.

prices those darn rifles in .500jeffery and .505gibbs are commanding over here these days, you must have been a "real" good boy.

would imagine you're handloading for the beast ???

looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

k

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

That's a serious rifle and a serious cartridge! A thumper at both ends!
Winchester bring these into OZ too, very pricey but they are always on backorder so someone has the money to buy them. (Not me though :cry:) And the ammunition costs too...

The older ones had the hogsback style stock. I shot one in .458win mag with a "mild" load once and it was a pain. Smacked me in the cheek :stars:. Good to see a straight stock on these ones.

I have no need for one but would love to own one. (Makes sense?)
I would have to load her up with Trail Boss and throw some heavy lead down range.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

davidlt89

QuoteI have no need for one but would love to own one. (Makes sense?)
makes sense to me;) I did not "need" the rifle I just bought, but I do have use for it!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunter308

Hi Guys,
This rifle shoots very easily and accurate :happy:
i am using two loads, 525gn woodleigh FMJ at approx 2200-2300 and a 600gn woodleigh PP at approx 2100-2200 and yes you know when it goes off but i find the recoil is not as bad as i first thought.:eek::eek::happy:
Can fire 10 525gn loads insuccession and only 4 600gn loads :eek::stars:
i am looking at casting in the very near future and i will be using trailboss for these loads.
cheers
Carl
Parker Hale 1100 Deluxe 7x57, CZ 505 Gibbs, Thompson Precision Hunter 204R, BRNO Model 2 .22

Jorge in Oz

Nice rifle Carl and glad to hear she shoots well. Those Woodleigh projectiles from Down Under are great. ;)

Cheers
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

A 600 grain bullet doing 2150 f/s has 6158 ft-lb of kinetic energy. That's a mule for sure.

Using ADI AR 2213, and your 2200-2300 f/s velocity range to get an estimate of the pressure you're at, a TrailBoss load generating the same pressure for the same weight cast lead bullet would produce an estimated muzzle velocity of 1447 f/s with kinetic energy of 2788 ft-lb. That would definitely be a 'pleasant' round to shoot from that rifle. I will note that the TrailBoss charge needed to produce that pressure (and attendant velocity) is 105% of case capacity.

Sounds like fun. I REALLY like slinging 500+ grain bullets down-range. When they hit something solid, there is no doubt about it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunter308

i kind of think of it as throwing Bessa Blocks instead of marbles:laugh:
Carl

klallen

morning, h308. very interesting topic, to me. keep the info coming. pics. handloading. performance on target and game.

off and on over the years a cz safari in the .505 or .500 has really interested me. of no need, where i hunt. but still very interesting. seeing your writing has kinda refueled the desire.

are you using bertram brass? seems like it'd be the most logical choice for ya. if so, how do you like it? brother has commissioned them to start creating sized and properly labeled brass for his large proprietary line and their quality seems to be outstanding. at least, so far after initial pressure handload testing. i think barnes makes big bullets for either of the cartridges, too. hmmm. got the wheels turning again on this.

also, nice work keeping the cartridge stoked to it's potential. to often, you see fellers claim a love for the big-bores and then download things so severely they end up shooting a big-bore only in name. not in performance. kudo's to you !!!

k

gitano

You will know them by their fruit...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: