Hunter Preparedness

Started by recoil junky, November 08, 2011, 08:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

After a situation the other day (nobody got hurt) that could have turned out way bad, I decided to get y'alls input and output on how you prepare for a hunt. Not only personal equipment, but what you take along for the ute just in case.

Now I understand there are a lot of variables and that's really what I'm after. Yous guys from across the pond, down under and the dark continent feel free to chime in too please as there will be a scenario two that has to do with warmer climates.

OK, here's scenario one: (we'll work on one at a time)

It's a "day hunt" meaning you plan to be gone all day, it's cold, about 10* F, snowing
and you are taking your teenage daughter hunting. Your ute is in tip top shape, full of fuel and ready to go. You know the area well, but it is remote and the chances of seeing other hunters is pretty low. Cell phone coverage is sketchy.

RJ

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Daryl (deceased)

Well, for starters...

I'll start by dressing in layers.  That way as exertion warms me up, I can add or remove layers as needed to keep from sweating or freezing.

A poncho is a good idea.  I've used one to stay dry, and also to build a shelter.

I haven't been on a hunt in over 25 years that I didn't have a magnesium fire starter in my pocket.  They're cheap, work well, and I still use the original one I started with so they last well.

Good boots, extra socks, and a warm hat.  Mittens or gloves too, if it's that cold.

And of course the regular stuff.  Knife, rifle, extra ammo, quick energy food (M&M's, Snickers bars), canteen, light rope or parachute cord, waterproof/winndproof matches, cow call, bino's, disposable camera.

And probably a couple days worth of sandwiches, just in case.  A steel thermos in the truck full of one's favorite warm beverage is always nice, but not essential.

I've camped enough in cold weather that the thought of spending the night in the woods doesn't bother me.  I've always made it back to camp by, or shortly after dark, but I always prepare to spend the night, just in case something goes wrong.

Oh, and don't forget a good compass.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Fieldmor77

Down here R.J, at least where i am the problem won't be the cold but rather the heat, so extra water for a start, first aid kit with enough elastic bandage to bind a snake bite, and i always throw in more energy snack foods than i need into the pack just in case.

recoil junky

Quote from: Fieldmor77;117111Down here R.J, at least where i am the problem won't be the cold but rather the heat,

That will be scenario two, but I'll "save" your info until then as I hunt in the heat as well. :toff:

The reason I'm doing this is Sunday I had to pull an unprepared hunter (and his teenage daughter) out of a very bad spot they were in. Lucky I came along, not that where they were was "remote" but it still would have been a 4-5 mile hike out of where they were. Plus cell phone coverage in the area is sketchy at best.

In my ute, not only do I carry extra rations, but a good blanket and/or sleeping bag, a Handyman jack, shovel, tow strap and chain, tire chains and extra cross links.

In the end I'll compile all the essentials for hunting in the heat and cold, put it in the reference library and make it a sticky.

Fieldmor, how cold does it get there in the "winter"? Where Andy is IIR it can get below freezing and even snow?

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Fieldmor77

Here in Queensland R.J, the climate is sub tropical, so where i am the coldest it gets here in winter is around 35.6F with an average top of 71.6F, however, there are some locations where the temp will drop to around 19.4F.

RatherBHuntin

In addition to above, I keep a map, or at least a photo copied portion of the area I am hunting in my bag and some flagging tape.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jamie.270

My day-pack contains:
Food.  Sandwiches (2), snickers bars, apple or two, water, space blanket, marking tape/ribbon, 2 fusees/road flares (when nothing else will start a fire, a road flare usually will) for fire and emergency light, shoo-fog cloth for the scope, meat cleaver (doubles as a hatchet) and small saw.
Also are my my matches, dry socks and stocking cap kept in a ziplock bag.
A small rifle cleaning kit also, but I've been thinking about changing to a boresnake.

In the ute is a thermos of hot water, tea bags and coffee and hot chocolate mix and a spare cup.  Med kit.  More flares (I like my fire), two pair of tire chains (so all 4 can be chained), tow strap/chain, Handyman jack, wool blanket(s), and a change of clothes (lots of wool here), heavy coat, at least one flashlight w/spare batteries and a 12v spotlight that plugs into the cig lighter.  Map(s), and a CB radio, and the hand-held VHF radio along with a portable GPS.
We've been known to carry a chainsaw, gas/oil, and a full sized axe too.

I have a friend that carries a "SPOT" locator/beacon, which I'd like to have one of someday.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Daryl (deceased)

Yep RBH, I forgot flagging tape.

QuoteIn my ute, not only do I carry extra rations, but a good blanket and/or sleeping bag, a Handyman jack, shovel, tow strap and chain, tire chains and extra cross links.

Hmm...I keep most of that in my truck as standard equipment during hunting season.  Only need tire chains on rare occasions (have a set that are 12 years old, and never been on a tire), but they do give me the confidance to go where I need to go.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

A  "day" hunt?..........
................................Hunting knife
................................Deer drag rope
................................small bottle water
................................a can or two vienna
................................roll of trail marking tape
................................line'man's harness
................................survival prepared pick'm up truck..........BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

recoil junky

I fergot about my double bitted axe and Sven saw. My brother-in-law carries a pickaxe too.

The fusees/flare are a good idea, I'd not thought of those.

The CB radio I used to have when it was the "craze". In today's utes there is really no good place to mount a Cobra 29LTD. Also seems like the quality of today's radios is not what it was.

Flagging tape? What color would you prefer, yellow, orange, red, blue, neon green?

Keep it coming people!!!

Thanks, we'll need a trailer here pretty quick:biggthumpup:

RJ

JaDub

Don`t forget a good supply of hand&foot warmer packets.  These weigh  nothing and will usually last 10 hours or so. They are very effective in warding  off frostbite.  Having just come off the mountain at 10,000 ft and survived a  blizzard with temps in the single digits and winds near 50 mph all the while hunkering down under two sleeping bags, I can attest that these warming packs are the cat`s meow.  We came back down the mountain after four sleepless nites with nothing but a few does to glass.    I will also make a later post as we plan on making two seperate day trips starting at 4A.M. tomorrow. A hot shower never felt so good.................  :2thumbsup:  

JaDub

Daryl (deceased)

RJ,

Whatever color of flagging tape that will show up well in your area.

Comes in really handy for marking blood trails and such.  

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Tags: