My first Mauser

Started by Rich Cronk, October 28, 2011, 06:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Cronk

This rifle was the first model 98 Mauser that I had built. The stock is Winslow pattern, and barrel is pencil thin 24&1/2" Star. Rifle has a hinged floor plate which makes it handy for quick unloading.  Caliber is .25-06.

JaDub

Sweet gun Rich, I`ll bet it`s a fun one to shoot.  

On another front.........    do you have any relatives in Colorado ?

JaDub

Rich Cronk

JaDub,

No relatives in Colorado that I know of.  That old Mauser is indeed fun to shoot, and with that pencil barrel it isn't quite as heavy to carry around.

crowkiller

That is a nice looking bird rifle!

Rich Cronk

Here is a photo of three Iowa coyotes I called up several years ago, and shot them with that old Mauser.  I didn't lead that one on the far left enough, and bullet hit the hip bone.

crowkiller

That´s some mean looking creatures!
I guess we both are lucky, you get to shoot them and I don´t have them here in Finland. I think they would kill all my tame ducks and the children's rabbits. We just got some friendly (ironic) red fox and raccoon dogs.

drinksgin (deceased)

Crowkiller, what is a raccoon dog?
Here, it would be some variety of hunting dog used to trail and tree coons.
We have some friendly foxes, too, mostly gray foxes that would like to become yard pets and share the chickens and eggs as well as the neighbor's cat and dog food.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Rich Cronk

I know a little bit about those Finland coon dogs, or at least I think I do. They look like a cross between an American raccoon and a Badger. I make calls for guys in Finland and  sweden. Most are for calling those Arctic red fox.  I did send a call to one guy that I figure should call their "coon dogs", but I haven't heard back from him. Maybe he called one up and it ate him?

drinksgin (deceased)

Just wondering, the information I found on "raccoon dogs" said they were in Japan and China and were a fox., surprised at their  being in Finland.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

crowkiller

Ok, I used Google translator ( It´s a struggle to write i a foreign language)
It´s latin name is Nyctereutes procyonoides.
It can be a pain in the *** when it strolls around lakes and other waters and eating every egg it finds. Furthermore it can spread rabies and a parasite which can infect humans too.  
A guy I know caught two in traps when he was a boy, after "killing" them by several hits in the head with a branch he went home carrying them. After a few minutes one Raccoon dog bites his hand very hard, trough a leather glove, the boy drops it and it take off running.
Funny about the Raccoon dog is that you actually can run it down and so did the boy and after a few hard collisions with the ice (frozen lake) the Raccoon dog was dead. The second one got away running when the boy put it down to ease the load when he chased after the first. The can play dead.

gitano

I prefer the Danish solution...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Rich Cronk

Here is a photo showing the markings on my first Mauser.  Can anyone tell me which 98 it is, and how good are they?

sakorick

Quote from: Rich Cronk;116882Here is a photo showing the markings on my first Mauser.  Can anyone tell me which 98 it is, and how good are they?

It's a German K98 made during or just prior to WWII and they are very good. Most modern actions are based on this action. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Rich Cronk

Quote from: sakorick;116969It's a German K98 made during or just prior to WWII and they are very good. Most modern actions are based on this action. Regards, Rick.
----------------------------------------

Thanks a million Rick! I highly value your input sir.  :grin:

Tags: