QuickLoad Request

Started by klallen, August 28, 2011, 06:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klallen

anyone here heard anything about this? to my knowledge, there has not been an official e-mail received on either of the firearms forums i'm board founder or administrator of but i've seen the warning now on at least two other sites and heard about it from several people (ql users, of course) :

I received this request from the distributor of Quickload,

Quote:
It has been brought to my attention that there some of the folks
participating in the forums are sharing load information based on QuickLOAD. This practice has some owners of the program a little irritated. Can't say that I blame them. They paid $150.00 to get the program. The free sharing could also effect our sales of this great handloading software program. Could you please have your moderaters watch for this practice and try to politely control it. The possibility exists that some bad information gets out there resulting in damage, injury or worse. If you have any questions, please contact me at 800-451-3550 between 9AM-5PM Pacific time.

Thanks in advance,

Ed Dillon
NECO- distributor of QuickLOAD and QuickTARGET

near as i can tell, one of two things are going on here. either a feller or small group of fellers have contacted neco, unhappy by the fact that they've dropped $150 for their computer predicters and have since seen ql generated data freely floating around the firearms forums they frequent "OR" (more cynical theory) neco, themselves, have seen ql generated data floating around various chat forums and, understanding the potential $$$ they're loosing by having one feller buy then service an entire group, are looking to put an end to it.

quickload's a tool i don't need for the development of precision handloads so i've no real dog in the fight and really don't care if it's uses are exploited. just wondering if this is a neco generated thing or its users.

i've also posted this in the administrative sections of the sites i work on just to see if they're heard anything.

k

Jorge in Oz

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would not want their product promoted on the web.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

klallen

evening, j. i don't think promotion is what neco'd be concerned with. rather, another "p" word motivating this ... profits (or loss thereof). if one person purchases the program and services 10, 20 or an entire site, that wouldn't be in the best interest of a distributor who's trying to get their product into as many hands as possible for profit sake.

there's alot more discussion about this on other sites i've posed the question. it's kind of a dead fish here. we have a few ql owners on these other sites. far fewer here, it would appear. while i still haven't been able to establish weather this be motivated by an angry users or neco itself, by the general slant of the discussion we've been having, it's assumed that neco's behind it.

either way, i don't believe neco has a legal leg to stand on trying to limit the posting of predictors generated by their program. and that's what we've been advising the small population of our membership that actually owns and uses ql.  if they think what they're providing is a valuable service, continue doing so.

k

davidlt89

Quotei don't believe neco has a legal leg to stand on trying to limit the posting of predictors generated by their program.

I would say that is more accurate. Seems to me you can't stop someone from posting "data"! I could see if you gave someone the program to put on their computer.
Quotethere's alot more discussion about this on other sites i've posed the question.
if you don't mind me asking, what sites might these be? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

klallen

Quote from: davidlt89;115246Seems to me you can't stop someone from posting "data"! I could see if you gave someone the program to put on their computer.

that's basically what i'm thinking, too. but i don't know what neco makes you agree to before you install their program. you know, the standard read this user agreement and "if you agree, click here" meaning you'll abide by their rules and usage policies that companies like to include with these kinds of things and "if you don't agree, get the heck out". but yes, i would agree with the idea any violation would be the sharing of the actual program rather then the sharing of the predictors that program generated.

k

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quotethere's alot more discussion about this on other sites i've posed the  question.                 

As per Davids question, please do elaborate...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

was going to post multiple images of license here don't know why but it does not let me post more than 1 image 'in line'

Suffice to say, there is no mention of sharing data in the license.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

klallen

a prudent liability disclaimer, j b.  one similar to that found in a printed handloading manual, guide or pamphlet.

k

Daryl (deceased)

It really doesn't matter what NECO thinks; or users of the program, for that matter.

Copyright laws protect such things only to the extent of copying the software and/or redistributing it.

IOW, if someone buys software to calculate mortgage payments, interest earned, and principal paid, they can't legally copy and redistribute that software without permission and/or license to do so. That in no way prevents them from distributing the information calculated by the software.  This is evidenced by title agencies that often send out such information calculated in just such a manner.

Owners of said software have no rights whatsoever concerning it's use by other legal owners.

If any special "conditions" exist in regards to owning and/or using the software, then any dispute would be between the owner and NECO. It would have nothing to do with this forum, since no one in their "official" capacity here agreed to anything with NECO.

If anyone can find anything in copyright infringement laws that addresses this, then I'll be willing to reconsider my position. If not, then this subject is closed.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: