Food plots are in!

Started by sakorick, May 11, 2011, 02:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This is a big deal for me....getting the food plots finished. This year I have 4 acres of Sunflowers, 5 acres of Soybeans and 2 1/2 acres of Sorghum. It doesn't sound like much but it is very time consuming as each variety takes different plates, gear settings and fertilizer rates. Luckily, I found a factory manual for the JD 1240 planter about 10 years ago and it is written for simple folks like me! The planter was made back in the early 60's and the 4010 turns 50 next year. How things this old just go and go are a great mystery to me as most mechanical things this old end up in the junk yard after a very short time. The whole set-up is extremely efficient. The big boxes up front hold the fertilizer and they deposit the stuff 3 inches deep and 2 inches from the seed row. This is extremely efficient as the plant gets good nutrients through maturity with little to no waste. I do not use any chemicals and rely on a 50 year old International field cultivator to remove weeds. I'll sleep well tonight knowing the birds, rabbits, Turkey and Deer will make it through the tough times next Winter. Regards, Rick.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Alboy

Do you use Quaker State oil to take care of the OLD EQUIPMENT

No, I do not. I use MFA straight 30 weight oil and she seems to get along fine!:grin: Only Arnold Palmer uses that stuff! Regards, Rick.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

drinksgin (deceased)

There are people around here still using 150 year old or more horse drawn equipment that has been converted to drag or 3 pt. hitch. Built right and made mostly of steel and cast iron they seem to last forever.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

noel

servicing the old JD with sae30 in tin cans with a push in  spout would be like takin' her to the prom!I like old equipment,it lasts!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

Tags: