My Victory over Acid Reflux

Started by Nelsdou, April 30, 2011, 08:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelsdou

For anybody suffering from this, consider my experience and see if it helps.

A while back I had acid reflux so bad I was constantly chewing roll-aids and couldn't sleep flat at night; eventually had to go to acid-reducer meds like you see advertised to get on top of it.

Then the wife convinced me to go in with her to do the South Beach diet to shed a few pounds. Now I'm not a diet fad kinda of guy but the "eat unlimited meat" part of it sounded intriguing.

So I went cold-turkey on the no sugar, no carbos, just meat and cheese for however long it was, then started in cycling in veggies and then some limited breads. It worked over a course of a number of weeks that I did lose some weight and my desire for sugar and carbohydrates greatly diminshed. So much in fact that now I can't stand the taste of some candies and high sugar foods.

So while getting through this phase of diet "re-adustment", I realized my acid reflux was gone. Dropped the meds completely and its still gone.

The only things that bring back a touch of reflux is drinking more than a glass of wine, gorging on pizza or eating a lot of potatoes. So as long as I limit the sugars and carbos, my esophagus is happy.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

drinksgin (deceased)

Your blood sugar should be doing well, too.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Alboy

Reports of improvement are always good.

Now yu can enjoy camping and over night hunting trips to the mountains again.:D
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jamie.270

Chocolate, peanut butter and the sulfites used to preserve wine and salad bar items are NOT your friends.

Peanut butter cups are a double whammy, as is a glass of wine with a restaurant salad.

Congrats on the victory Nels!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

recoil junky

Much the same way I control mine. I went to a gut doctor (man hating witch) and she told me I was going to die from it. That was 8 years ago. I got a second opinion and an upper GI. That gut Doc put me on some pills and got it under control. Now I just watch what I eat and how much. Real Aloe Vera juice is good for your gut. Tastes like EEEWWW but mixed with apple juice it's not bad.

Too much beer is bad  for the acid reflux as well. :cry: I like good beer, it's proof that God loves us. Not that I really had to cut back on the beer as I still have 1/2 of the 12 pack I bought over a month ago.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Jamie.270

On the topic of beer,...
Try a German beer.  One that adheres to the German Purity Law.  Only 4 ingredients allowed.
Water, hops, barley malt and yeast.

Leave the wheat, rice and preservatives behind.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

JaDub

Good to hear of your progress.  I too have to watch it.  Especially more than a gin & tonic or two.

Nelsdou

One doctor told me any kind of alcohol before sleeping was bad because it relaxed the closure muscle (forget what's it called) between the stomach and esophagus. Probably what makes it easy to hurl when one over-indulges!

Peanut butter is one of those favorites on the bad list because it is also high in sodium. Must be by the way it is made. The GO TO bait for mousetraps.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

drinksgin (deceased)

You can buy unsalted dry roasted peanuts and do them in a blender to have gut friendly peanut butter.
Pecans make  good butter, too.
Want to make happy squirrels, spread crunchy peanut butter on ritz crackers and put out at the squirrel spa, otherwise known as the bird feeder.

kombi1976

I had a similar experience with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I've suffered from it for most of my life and last year I went on a really strict diet and dropped over 20kg. The diet cut out carbs and sugars and dairy and fats and went to lean meats, fruits and vegetables. Since then my digestion has been perfect. It's like it purged my system. The other thing it did was make me really tired of fatty food.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

drinksgin (deceased)

My wife has IB/Khrone's disease, almost died twice due to loss of blood, 2 pints the first time and 5 pints the second time.
A new GI Dr. tried her on Pentasa and she has been in remission for 6 years now.
Last plumbing inspection showed NO ulcers.

Paul Hoskins

Bout thirty years ago I was having severe stomach troubles. Turned out I had bleeding ulcers & the horse doctor put me on a diet of "no fried food, no alcoholic beverages" and all the good stuff I liked had to go. In three months I went from 137 pounds to 173. Stayed on the diet for 21 months & discovered I could eat anything & it didn't bother me. The weight gain made me feel miserable tho. Down to about 165 pounds & staying there.   .....Paul H

davidlt89

Nels, glad to hear you are feeling better. I have suffered from acid reflux but it is mostly due to stress!!! does not matter what I eat. I also have to say, Carbs are not bad!! they seem to be getting a bad rap these days and they should not. people have mentioned cutting out carbs and sugars and feeling better. All carbohydrates are sugars!!! Carbs are in two groups, complex and simple. complex are wheats, grains, etc.. and simple sugars are like fructose and sucrose. Sucrose is just the real name for "table sugar". Those are the ones you need to limit. Carbs are our chief energy source for our body (complex). our bodies uses ATP (adenosine triphosphate) to run on. we get those from carbs. we use 2 ATP and manufacture 7 ATP in return. that is a net gain of 5 ATP which is really efficient!!! when we cut carbs out of our diet the body must use "other" sources to fuel on. we can get energy from the breakdown of fat, or from protein (krebs cycle). if the body is not getting carbs to fuel from, then most likely the next source will be from protein. But it cannot just use protien as we eat it, it must take it from our muscles (breakdown of muscle), which also causes weight loss, but a "bad" weight loss! Long story short, most people don't eat enough of what they should and most people eat way to much!!!!! I bet a good balanced diet would do the same thing! I am certainly not trying to rain on your parade, I am glad you are getting relief without having to take a pill. I just had to defend carbs;) God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

buffalo bob

read a recent study about 2 weeks ago.  they had lab rats who were genetically predisposed to diabetes.  they put them into kidney failure.  then they fed them a high fat diet. kidney function returned to normal.  just tells me that any food can be good for you.  doctors tell you taht triglycerides are the bad thing.  these are mostly manufactured in your body from carbs,  my old gut doc always said it isnt what you eat but how much, and also how much you exercise.

davidlt89

we actually require more fat in our diet than protein!!!!!! Balance is the key, not just cutting one thing out all together. And you are right Bob, alot has to do with how much we eat!!!!! now if you will excuse me, there are a couple slices of pizza in the fridge that have my name on them:grin: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: