Moon-rise February 27, 2011, Wasilla, AK

Started by gitano, February 28, 2011, 08:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Just happened to look out the window yesterday morning and saw this:

Took a quick picture through the window. By the time I got the telephoto (not a particularly good one) on the camera and ran outside in my bare feet in the snow, it had moved a little, but was still a 'good' shot.

I thought I'd try again this morning an hope for the best. Unfortunately, it has moved considerably east.

These pictures were all taken from "inside". The first one below was the last one taken. In it you can see the moon clearly. Use it to find the moon in the other two. (You gotta look CLOSELY in the branches.) The peak to the right of the moon in today's pictures is the peak to the left in the wide-angle shot above.

The sky is nice and  clear, but that's because for the past 48 hours it's been blowing 40-50 mph sustained, with gusts to 60. Not uncommon for this time of year (near vernal and autumnal equinoxes). Temp is about 15, wind chill about -30.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Nice pics Paul, thanks for sharingggggggg (burrrr)
Outside in yer bare feet at the crack-o-dawn in 15* weather,...? My mom had a term for folks that did those kinds of things, but I won't repeat it here! ;)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Alboy

My Moms was somwthing like IDJIT, nice pics though
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Paul Hoskins

Beautiful pic's. Paul. The snow & cold sucks tho.   Thanks for sharing, Pal. .....Paul H

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

TackyDriver

Great pix, considering you're shooting from the hip, as it were. Can I use those for my desktop wallpaper?
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

gitano

You are more than welcome to.

Paul

PS - I did the first "thank" from my cell phone.
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

A beautiful waning crescent. Our moon is the largest in relation to the mother planet in our solar system. Earth's moon is the second brightest thing in the sky.  The sun is the first.  When the Moon orbits around the Earth; The sun hits the moon at different angles.  That's what we call the Moon's phases.  Basically, it's how much of the sun's light is hitting the moon we can see. The time between new moons is 29.5 days (709 hours).  It takes about 28 days for the moon to orbit around the Earth and to make one revolution.

I'm just a moon geek.:eek: Regards, Rick.  

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

The moon controls the tides in the oceans too. It affects everything with water or moisture in it. Even our bodies. That in turn affects our behavior to some extent. I know a couple of women that were in the full moon phase constantly. ....The highest tides in the world are in the Bay of Fundy, Canada & Bay of Bengal, Bengladesh. ??? .....Paul H

sakorick

I've mentioned this before.....it also controls when Easter is calculated. It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox. This year, Easter is very very late(April 24th). The Easter date can be as early as March 22 or as late as April 25, but you will have to wait until the year 2038 for Easter to fall on a date as late as this year. Regards, Rick.:smiley:

gitano

Actually, the second highest tides in the world are in Cook Inlet, Alaska. Right out my front door. Spring tides (when the sun and moon line up), have fluxes of 30'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Here is another near the North Pole......pretty cool. Regards, Rick.

Tags: