Haven't been around of late...update

Started by Daryl (deceased), January 19, 2011, 12:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

Hey fellas, I guess it's been a while.  I've been busy with my own battles, I guess, and really haven't felt much like posting.

Some of you should remember back in early November, I went in to have part of a lymph node removed from under my jaw.  After the surgery, the surgeon was fairly positive that it was harmless.

The lab report disagreed.  Seems I have a very agressive form of lymphoma (sp?).

Those of you that have been 'round here a while may remember back around May 7, 2002, I had a kidney transplant.  I've been diabetic since I was 6 years old, and it's taken it's toll on this old body.  Well, this cancer is caused by the meds I have to take to keep the kidney from rejecting, which causes a few more issues.

Like how to keep it from coming back.

Make no mistake about it, I stop for almost nothing, but a body needs certain things to keep going.  I've been re-built a few times, and no regrets.  I've lived a very hard life at times, but also a very good life.

So, here's the dope...

I'm now back in Az for at least the foreseeable future, and I'm taking chemo treatments at UMC (yeah, the same outfit where Gabby Giffords is being treated.  Believe me, I know from experience that she's in good hands).

I had about 5 or 6 lumps under my jaw that continued to grow after the surgery.  After the first chemo treatment, they were all gone except for one very small place about the size of a small pea.  Affer the second treatment, that one was gone, too.

It didn't get into my bones or bone marrow, so that's good.  There were a few other places around my body that had some swelling that was found in scans.  Near as I can tell, those are gone too.  Still have 4 or so treatments to go; and fellas?  Trust me that Chemo is no rodeo I'd willingly put on anyone, but it's saving my life.  Very literally.

I've been through rougher'n this, but it's been a while.

So, the idea is to get rid of the cancer, which seems to be happening at a very rapid rate.  So far, so good.

Once that's done, my doc's will have to cut my meds back pretty heavily while watching for signs of rejection in the kidney.  The transplanted kidney is well matched to my body, so it should work out ok.  After 8 years, it's still workiing at 100% according to the lab work.  Considering that the chemo is toxic to the kidney, that's pretty miraculous in and of itself.

This'n's a tough row to hoe, mi amigos, but I'm not quite ready to give up this hard earned life I have and enjoy.  Prayers are welcomed, and appreciated.

I've had a blessing by the elders of my church, them having annointed me with oil as called for in the Bible.  I was assured that this will not take my life, and I have a very comfortable feeling about being able to pull through it, and move on with my life.  God never told us life would be easy; trials and tribulations are a part of it, and how we handle them can determine who we become as a result.

I'll try to check in more often, but please forgive me if I'm a little slow at it.  Some days are good, and on those my wife and I like to get out of the house for a while.  On bad days, well, I don't usually feel like doing much at all.  It isn't the cancer that makes me feel bad, it's the chemo that's needed to get rid of it.  Nothing like being between a rock and a hard place, huh?

Y'all take care, and I'll be back. ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

JaDub

Daryl,
          Thanks for clueing us in.  I gotta tell you , you`ve been  on my mind the last couple of weeks..........   why I`m not sure but I`m guessing the big guy upstairs is focusing good energy to you.  I`ve had a couple of very close friends go thru what you`re experiencing and know for certain it isn`t  a trip anyone of us would care to venture thru.  That said, the journey is  worth the cure.   Both are now `cancer free`.  I get the feeling you`re a pretty tough old bird who`s got a lot of living left ,  so just remember..........

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life!!    Live each day to the fullest and don`t look back!!

It`s not the destination..............it`s the journey. :2thumbsup:

Keep us posted...........  because we care !

Cheers,  JaDub

drinksgin (deceased)

My wife has been being treated for non Hodgkins lymphoma for 4 years, the cancer is in remission, but the side effects of the chemo are so severe she has to take a bunch of pain killers a day, it has just about burned her brain out.
No fun for sure.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

babbyc1000

sorry to hear that daryl but im glad the chemo seems to be working. stories like this put everything into perspective... keep us updated, im sure were all thinking about you
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Alboy

Kinda like Jadub I was thinking of you some here lately. Prayers are the easy part keep your head up and keep plugging.

Chemo seems to be getting better as a close friend of ours just went through it and came out with no cancer in the breast. At the start they thought it would require surgery but that has changed.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Tarnation!

We're praying for you Daryl. Have MtnPenny keep us posted if it's tough to get to the keyboard.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Daryl,
This is hard news indeed.  You have seen more than your fair share of trials and tribulations (all those coyotes have cursed you is my guess) and I know you will pull thru this one.  I will add my prayers to all the others I know folks are sending your way.  

JaDub, tough old bird is probably not a good description of Daryl, he is tougher than an old bird, more along the lines of the old desert coyote he likes to chase so much.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

Glad to see you post and thanks for the update. I am sure I can manage some prayers for you my friend! I have heard chemo is no party!!!! I am glad to hear it is working for ya and it is a good thing you are strong enough to do it!!!!! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

Thanks fellas.  I really appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, and support.

I'm actually doing ok most of the time.  Right after a chemo treatment, things get a little whacky.  White blood count drops, and the first time I became "neutrapenic" (sp?), which means my body didn't have enough white blood cells to fight off even a monor infection (you know, like a cold, cut finger, etc).  The chemo also causes me to run a (usually) low grade fever.  If my temp runs above 100.5* F then I have to go into the ED to have tests done to see what's wrong.  It's fairly predictable, too.  3-4 days after a treatment, it happens; usually about 8:00 at night.  I can't go to the local ED either, since they'll admit me for "observation", and there's absolutely nothing they can do to help me, since my body/situation is so complicated.  So we drive to Tucson, which is a couple hours away.

They usually keep me for 2-3 days while they run blood cultures, chest X-rays, and so forth to figure out that there's nothing wrong except the chemo's affects on my body.  But they have to check to be sure I don't have an infection, since my white blood count gets so low, and in the meantime they dump all sorts of antibiotics into me.

Fun, huh? ;)

OTOH, I've found that taking tylenol every 6-8 hours keeps my temp "normal".  Is that cheating?  Personally, I think it's way better than taking unexpected trips to Tucson in the middle of the night.  It's really sad when the ED doc says, "Oh, you again?  Ok, lets run you through the basic tests so you can get back home."

But yeah, I've been called a tough ol'.....sumpin' or other a few times.  I once stalked and killed a javalina with my bow about five days out of a somewhat major surgery.  I wasn't even sure I'd be able to draw the bow, but did finally manage it.  While on dialysis, I was breaking a 2 y/o stud quarter horse.  Three months out of transplant surgery, I managed to end up with a broken leg in a mule wreck three miles into a wilderness area.

Ok, so sometimes maybe I'd be better off taking it a little easier, but life it good, and I hate to waste time feeling sorry for myself about things I might "shouldn't do".  I just do 'em to the best of my ability and enjoy life in spite of a few minor setbacks. ;)

For now, I just need to finish these treatments, and then put some muscle mass back on so that I can pack a deer out next fall. :D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

LvrLover

Seems you got a great attitude, Daryl. Better to wear out than rust out ,eh? I'll be praying for you too.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Fieldmor77

Geez Dazza, sounds like you've got some battles to fight there Mate, think positive and don't let it get to ya, good luck, we will be thinking of you.:biggthumpup:

recoil junky

I figgered you was trying to get out of our pdog hunt this spring but I see that ain't the case. I watched a friend of mine go through both chemo and radiation treatments so I know it ain't no pickanick.

I been wonderin' my own self where ya been as I ain't seen you round these parts fer a while. 'Specially after the big breakfast we 'all had here 'bout a week ago.

I'm still a holdin' ya to that pdog hunt on or about the 15th of June. Chin up, keep the positive attitude and we'll want you to keep us posted.

And one Tylenol every 6 hours is not cheating.

As for taking it easy? That's for woosies and chair herders!!!!! :frown :frown

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Daryl (deceased)

Nope, RJ, I'm sorta lookin' forward to shooting some p-dogs.  Should still be do-able, 'long as the wind don't blow too hard and the creeks don't rise.

Or at least, I hope. :)  I'll be long since done with chemo by then, and the doc's should have a good handle on what I need to be taking as med's.  I just hope this garbage doesn't come back. :(

But one way or another, we'll meet up one day for a p-dog shoot.  I got a lot of ammo to burn up, and I ain't leavin' that job to anybody else. :D

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Jamie.270

Chin up Daryl.  Prayers sent your way.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

bowhunter 51

It takes a strong one to go thru all  that.....I've no doubt, if anyone can whoop it,
you can...I am hopeful...Get well soon, my friend.........................................BH51.
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: