Birth of a reloading bench

Started by davidlt89, January 18, 2011, 03:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

since I had ordered a reloading kit, thought I might need a place to sit down and do my business. I have one bench in my room but it is pretty clustered and it is where I do all my cleaning, stocks, etc... So I thought it might be fun to build me a new bench! I had to go get some wood to fix a cabinet downstairs so I while I was at lowes I thought it would be enviromentally responsible to get all my wood in one trip! (at least that is what I told my wife!:grin:). Was not really sure what I wanted for a bench so I searched the internet and found some plans of a bench I thought would serve my purpose. I printed off the plans, changed the dimensions and few other things around. Here is a look at the plans.

I started this sunday afternoon, thinking it was only going to take a couple hours:Banghead: I was certainly longer than that. I spent over an hour in the garage in zero degree weather just cutting wood! Here is what I got so far.

Frame almost together.

Here is a picture with the top on and my help for the day! He was pretty cheap labor, he floated in and out of the room about 100 times. He is convinced it is just a "new table".

Here it is pretty much together! I still have to stain, polyurothane, add some trim, and one more shelf on the right.

My reloading kit arrived yesterday so I am pretty excited to see it on the bench. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jamie.270

If I may make a suggestion,... Get some outside corner moulding and do the perimeter of the work surface. You won't appreciate it until a case, bullet or tool of some kind rolls to the edge and stops, instead of falling off the edge.      :biggthumpup:

Wait until the press is mounted though, so you know where NOT to put the moulding.  Then cut it to fit up snug to the press.

Looks great so far though!  You're well on your way!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

JHello David. I assume the press is going in the R corner? If so, you may need to beef that area up. An additional 2x4 leg on that side and a lateral 2x4 stringer. Be sure to check your mounting screw spacing so the extra stringer doesn't get in the way. The press will exert more pressure than you think. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes Rick, the press will be in the right corner. I thought that it may be sturdy enough, but I will definitely take your years of experience and beef that up a little over there, thanks. I certainly see what you are talking about also Jamie! thats what I really like about this forum:grin:.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

JaDub

Outside moulding    X2 !    

Also, a `doubler` under the press  area might prevent `reinforcement` later.    Ask me how I know....... :p

Looks good David!

JaDub

gitano

First: OUTSTANDING!

Second: Everything Jamie, Rick, and JaDub said - especially about 'strength'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteAsk me how I know.
how do you know?:clown:
Quoteespecially about 'strength'.
This certainly seems like a "must do"! I have gotten all my stain on, but went to look for the polyeurothane and noticed we were out. I will have to buy some tomorrow.
I got my Lyman, 49th edition reloading in the mail today and it was exciting to look at it!!! I will have another picture of the bench once all the coats are on it, all my ammo is stored in it, and the reloading gear on it!!! God bless.

gitano

QuoteThis certainly seems like a "must do"!

I have broken off a 3" thick glulam.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Here's how I reinforced my bench. I added a 2x6 flat and a 2x4 stringer behind the 2x6. The 2x4 is back far enough that my knees don't hit it. Regards, Rick.

gitano

You're probably 'a ways off' from doing some of the 'creative' things ;) I do at my reloading bench, but you might consider a sacrificial surface on which you can 'pound' and 'grind' and generally 'abuse'. I good material for that is 1/4" "beaverboard" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaverboard and hardboard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard (they're the same thing). If you inlet, (or surround with molding), a 12x15-inch section of your table-top, you can insert a piece of hardboard and 'beat' on it 'til it's 'used up' and then replace it. Doing this saves your permanent wooden tabletop.

Like I said, it's not likely that you'll be 'getting creative' for a while, so this feature can wait. But when (not if) you find yourself 'beating' on your wooden tabletop, it will be time to add it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I agree 100% with gitano. My bench top is one inch tempered hardwood and I love it. You can beat on it pretty good before denting the stuff. It was a piece left over in my house construction. After you have reloaded for awhile, you will want to make changes. My bench is a 3d or 4th generation....as mom used to say, "you live and learn".:yes:Regards, Rick.

JaDub

My bench was originally made with a 1/2"  particle board top with a two inch front overhang.  The RCBS was attached to the bench top with `appropriate ` hardware etc..  For two years everything was working out well.............
till one day, as I was seating a bullet , the entire lip of the bench broke off with a sudden SNAP !!   Everything on the bench became airborn and basically redistributed itself everywhere.  Primers, bullets, casings, tools, dies..........everything!  :eek:   What a mess.

The repair consisted of a 3/4 "-  24"x24" finished interior plywood `plate` fastened to the benchtop.  The bench now has a lip to keep things from rolling off. :anxious:

JaDub

davidlt89

Gonna do my beefing up hopefully this weekend before I put the gear on. The material I used on the top was meant to be "replaced" in time if it gets to damaged! I got my stain on a couple nights ago and put the polyurethane on tonight. Here is what it looks like.

Had me a different helper tonight!!!!!! tommorrow I will get the kit out of the box and see what I need to do. will also move all my ammo and "sort" it out nice and neatly. Ordered some shotgun ammo boxes for birdshot, steelshot, and my turkey loads! God bless.

22hornet

Good job David! :D Great bench!

For my "bashing" plate I use a piece of an old cutting board.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

davidlt89

Started moving things onto the bench this morning and sorting them all out. I feel my ammo is much more organized now! I ordered some MTM ammo cases and I really like them. Nice having shotgun shells organized (birdshot, steelshot, turkey, etc..) the MTM 50 round shotshell cases are not that bad and pretty inexpensive. I took out all the parts to my reloading kit and proceeded to put it together. I noticed right off there were no step by step directions, but pictures 0f all the parts assembled! I started to get a little worried but remembered in the reviews I read off of cabelas how everyone said it was so easy to put together. So I took a breath and put it together. Really was no need for step by step directions. got everything together except for bolting the press on. Need to get some screws and reinforce the area it is going to go. Funny they don't tell you that about the press. I would have sworn the way I have would be sturdy enough! anyway, I started reading the directions on how to use the loader and honestly, it seems pretty simple. those directions are great!!!!! the hand prime tool seems pretty nifty!!!!!!
Here's a pick of the bench with some stuff on it! Hopefully I can get some bolts and cut my wood to reinforce it this weekend. I do know it is too cold to be in the garage today!!!!

God bless.

Tags: