awful quiet here

Started by noel, August 22, 2010, 07:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noel

seems to be quiet here since the got back up and running.hope people didn't give up and go elsewhere!too much good information and fun to have it falter!speak up everyone!:frown
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

gitano

I think it's a combination of things Noel, including have been down for so long. However, THL is a good place, actually I think it is the best on the web, and the word will spread again. It's also hunting season and school startup. It's usually quieter this time of year anyway.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

Last minute vacation and prepping for hunting, school, and winter. Lots going on.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

TackyDriver

Hey Noel! Things have just been busy in my neck of the woods but I can't go too long without checking in. If you have stories to share, I know I'll hear them eventually. I'm just not always quick on the uptake. Hope your Fall season is a good one and you have lots of game to brag about.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Brasco20

Ya, too bad things got crashed.  I love this site.  When i began reloading i didnt understand anything.  I thought you put some powder in, stuffed a bullet, and went out shootin.  I had no idea it had anything to do with accuracy.  After finding this site, i now am loading accurate custom loads, and understand what im doing.  This place is great, hope it gets back to being what it was.  Hunting season hasnt started here yet, one week from sat.  Cant wait!  Drew an antelope tag this year, 3rd year in a row, my buddies are mad, none of them drew this year.   Goodluck to everyone this season!

noel

yes TD I know what you mean.my youngest is off to university in 2 weeks,so things have been hectic around here.this is my first time with student loans and all the associated fees and travel to get started.I think mother is going too be really lonely for a while.I'll be missin my best hunting and fishing partner now that her brothers are older and busy with other stuff(like women)lol!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

gitano

Here's yet another reason some haven't been around so much lately:

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15099

Good to hear that you are now a "reloadin' fool" like the rest of us, Brasco20, and that THL is at least in part responsible for that foolishness. Also glad to hear you drew an antelope tag. We'll be waiting for pictures.

THL is a great place, and it will remain so for a while at least. What I fear more than temporarily being down, is individuals going "down" permanently. Many of the 'stalwarts' here at THL are fairly 'long in the tooth' and will, sooner than later, pass on. While the loss will be great on a personal level, it could have a devastating effect on THL IF, the younger members don't pay attention to how this site is managed. THL isn't a "good" place by accident.

Some times when the "old guard" passes on, the "new guard" wants to change things for change's sake. Also they change things so they can feel like they are taking "ownership". There lies danger, friends. The thing's that make THL what it is are not things that change with the fickle winds of fashion or political correctness.

Among those timeless 'things', integrity is foremost. Not just in what we say, but how we treat each other. In other words, be honest when dealing with one another. Hand in hand with integrity is respect. Treating one another with respect (sometimes known as the "golden rule") doesn't go "out of style" ever. Nor does it need to be "adjusted" for the changing times. Finally, restraint. Sometimes also known as patience.

Lest I appear to be pontificating, let me assure you that I quickly acknowledge that there are examples here at THL where I failed to act with respect and restraint. All I can say in my defense is, you shoulda seen me when I was a younger man. :o

Anyway, just this past week I joined the "Rimfire Central" forum. It has some good info regarding rimfire-related matters. It also has a member that is selling a spiffy little device for resizing .22 RF bullets and modifying their points to a variety of configurations. (With it, I almost feel like I am "reloading" my .22 RF ammo.) So I became a member. While the site is very 'civil', it's a bit "cold" - not friendly. Not UNfriendly mind you, just not friendly.

I don't mean particularly to preach, (too much ;) ), rather I too worry about THL's future. Not technically, but spiritually. And that's NOT to say that I think the "youngsters" here will drop the baton when it's passed on to them. Many of the 'stalwarts' are NOT 'long in the tooth'. I am simply saying that if you want to worry about THL's future, worry (be vigilant) about its spirit, not some piece of computer hardware somewhere. It won't be hardware that brings THL down.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

QuoteMy youngest is off to university in 2 weeks,so things have been hectic around here.this is my first time with student loans and all the associated fees and travel to get started.I think mother is going too be really lonely for a while.

I know what you mean. I just sent my youngest off to college too, and my oldest is still in college. It isn't just their mother that will be 'lonely for a while'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

The fire will rekindle.....I miss the international guys. They'll come back. I'm going to keep posting. Has anyone heard from BH lately? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

He just posted in the PH section.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

You think it's quiet here,

Oldest in the Army, youngest just went back to college, me working 20-30 hrs overtime a week. I haven't "seen" the missus for over a week. Just notes on the kitchen counter. I guess it's her in the bed when I finally get in bed at 03:30- 04:00.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

buffalo bob

Quote from: recoil junky;107609You think it's quiet here,

Oldest in the Army, youngest just went back to college, me working 20-30 hrs overtime a week. I haven't "seen" the missus for over a week. Just notes on the kitchen counter. I guess it's her in the bed when I finally get in bed at 03:30- 04:00.

RJ

how can you be working that much when millions of people are on "extended unemployment"   just a little sarcasm there.  worked a lot of ot and it is a real drag on your life.  but it will keep your mind off not having anyone around.

gitano

Don't forget to "smell the roses" there buddy. Work is a good thing, but too much of it, like anything else, will kill you. Slowly, but surely.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I have Monday and Tuesday off and I might take a floater on Wednesday.

I'll catch up during hunting season. I'll just remind the shop foreman who saved his bacon in August. :nana:

Plus we drink beer together. I'll get my way, I always do.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuotePlus we drink beer together. I'll get my way, I always do

That's 'cause you're old and you've figured out how to "do it". :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: