Mossberg 46B-B

Started by recoil junky, July 16, 2010, 09:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Picked this one up at the local pawn shop for $50 a couple years ago. Hadn't really thought anything of it until I saw Rick's 44 trainer.

I haven't shot groups with it other than to see where it hits and to take it out to shoot gophers. It's very accurate in the field, so there's really no need to "put it on paper".:greentongue:

I see some one before me refinished the stock and "lost" the "safe" and "fire" markers.

Doc just loves it, and has to shoot it every time he's home.

Well worth the $50!!!!!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Hello RJ. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you the green and red pegs and a front sight cover. That little lever in front of the front sight allows the sight cover to slide off and you can change the apertures. I use the peep and love it. :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Thanks Rick, that would be sweet! PM sent.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

recoil junky

Rick the parts arrived yesterday. Thank you very much. :bowdown:

RJ

sakorick

Quote from: recoil junky;107085Rick the parts arrived yesterday. Thank you very much. :bowdown:

RJ

No biggie...I started stashing old Mossy parts a few years ago. Havlin's in Missouri has lots of parts too....and cheap to boot! Regards, Rick.

22hornet

Nice Mossy RJ. Looks like a really fun rifle.
That front sight looks complicated. Is that an interchangable front post?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;107125Nice Mossy RJ. Looks like a really fun rifle.
That front sight looks complicated. Is that an interchangable front post?

Hornet, there are three flip ups, a fine and course post and a peep. There is a little latch in front that you push, the sight cover comes off and you can select whatever front sight you want......very clever! I have one with a broken keeper under the sight so I'm stuck with the peep.....actually good news for me! Regards, Rick.

22hornet

What a good idea! Pity we don't see things like that anymore...
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

By the way, those 2 holes in the bolt are for the dust cover. They are missing on 95% of the 46B's I've seen and nearly impossible to find. I have no idea why? There was also a 46M, M(a) and M(b)......same rifle with a Mannlicher stock, and it too has a dust cover. I'll post some pics of mine later. Regards, Rick.

recoil junky

I was doing a bit of cleaning on it and I noticed the "post" sight is bent. I didn't notice it before but it will definitely affect the way it shoots if one were to decide to change the front sight. I'm not all that concerned about at this point.

Rick, I was wondering if you had any tips for cleaning the tubular magazine follower. It's very sticky  and is hard to pull out/push in. It feeds rounds ok, no jamming, I just want it to slide better. I've tried cleaning it with Shooter's Choice but it's still pretty bad.

RJ

sakorick

Funny you should ask as as I am cleaning a 46M right now! I would inspect the tube to check for a dent or bend anywhere. Then, I would remove the feed rod and run a boresnake with break free to clean the inside of the tube. A proper size bore brush would work too. There is probably crud in there causing the binding. I've also removed the spring for cleaning from the inside of the rod by tapping out the retaining pin but I wouldn't do this as you should braze the pin back on or use metal set/loctite. Some flitz will polish up the brass rod.

That rod should slide in and out of the tube like glass. Most Mossberg malfunctions are cleaning related from my experience. Regards, Rick.

recoil junky

How bigga deal is it to get the tube out of the action? Just remove the action from the stock and then it's pretty obvious?

RJ

sakorick

You will need a small skinny screwdriver to remove the little friction screw that secures the tube in the rear support. Remove the screw, and the tube slides out forward. Regards, Rick.

Tags: