I HATE Sheetrock!!!

Started by recoil junky, June 24, 2010, 11:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

The little missus :sweetheart: has decided now that the "baby birds" are away from the nest it's time to do some remodeling.

Now for some back ground on this house. It was built back in the late 70's. Back when ugly green carpeting was the "thing". Back when home builders should have know better than to do what has been done to this house. There are no square corner. No straight walls. No square rooms and NO SKILL IN FINISHING SHEETROCK!!! Worst of all there are at least three different colors and coats of paint over this mess that would wear out ten DeWalt industrial grade sanders getting it off. And the texturing? OMG!!!!

Now I'm not so great when it comes to finishing sheetrock. It takes me twice as much mud and sanding work to get the job done "right", BUT when I get done it doesn't look to bad. (PMSOTB) But when whoever did the finish work on this sheetrock musta been high, drunk, stupid, ignorant, retarded (no offence to the mentally challenged intended) but give me a stinking break here. This is regoshdarndiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like all the tools they used were the ons God gave them. Literally!!! Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could have done a better job using sticks and river mud.

I should have taken some pictures before and after but they wouldn't have done justice to the ramshackle job I've got to fix. In one room so far I've used better than 2/3 of a bucket of mud JUST FIXING MISTAKES!!! Some of them my own :help:
:Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::Banghead::stars:

So, as a wise man once said When the going gets tough, the tough go pdog hunting. :MOGRIN::COOLdude:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

rockinbbar

Be glad you don't have to look at my finished product for the next few decades...;) :D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Alboy

Oh man I feel your pain
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

last time I finished a sheet rock job we had to hire some one who "knew what they were doing" come in and fix it! My wife has not asked me to do such a project again:sweatdrop: But, it seems there are plenty of other projects to keep me busy:eek: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Fieldmor77

Down here we call it Gyprock, and my eldest son just finished his apprenticeship as a Gyprock fixer and setter, so i'm sorry, but i don't share your pain!. :nana:

recoil junky

Feldmor, if'n the young lad wan't to come spend a weekend, he can help me. I supply only the best American brews for the "after party".

The missus said not to get to fancy, but every time I turn around I find another spot to fix. Hope I don't run out of mud.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

TackyDriver

QuoteDown here we call it Gyprock, and my eldest son just finished his  apprenticeship as a Gyprock fixer and setter, so i'm sorry, but i don't  share your pain!. :nana:
Why else would you have kids?

RJ: I feel for you. You haven't lived until you've tried to convince your wife that the shadows on your dining room wall from the waviness of the sheet rock was actually artistic and that soon everyone will want to have it. She didn't buy it but you can't fault a guy for trying. Maybe you can just apply new sheet rock over the old, set truly of course, and say that you were going for "improved insulation" and that recessed outlets, light switches and window sash radii are nouveau and avant guarde. ;) Hang in there.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

drinksgin (deceased)

To apply new drywall over old is a real pain, grounds must be installed and trued, boxes must be fitted with extension rings, base and base shoe must be removed and replaced as well as crown molding, casing must be removed, jambs added to and all the other details taken care of for a quality installation.

It is much faster and easier to just remove the old drywall, clean the nails from the studs and install new drywall.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

22hornet

Sorry RJ but it doesn't get any easier.

Maybe if you got your good lady wife to lend you a hand? :grin:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

recoil junky

She'e doing the texturing and painting the walls. I had to do the ceiling 'cuz she' only 5'3". We're almost done. Had to order a new window to get rid of the aluminum frame slider that was all fogged over anyway, it won't be here 'til next week so Doc can help me put it in.

I looked in the room this morning after I got home from work and all in all it's going pretty well. My little sheila has been pretty busy.

RJ

TackyDriver

QuoteTo apply new drywall over old is a real pain

Drinks, you are absolutely correct. To quote Billy Clyde Puckett in the novel Semi-Tough "Sometimes you have to laugh your troubles down to a size where you can talk to it." Just trying to project a little levity to help a fellow "Honey Do" practitioner.

RJ, hang in there.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

gitano

I built houses for a living for a short while, and I gladly PAY someone else to do sheetrock and concrete. They can do it better and faster, and when I was actually getting paid for construction work, they could do it cheaper too.

I'll do small jobs - three sheets or less - but over that, I call someone that does it every day and pay them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: