Pheasent Information

Started by Luke, January 10, 2005, 05:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

What is the best ckoke tube, and gun for pheasents. I have a Rem. 870 with a modified choke. What number shot is best for pheasent. Post some info about those things if you get a chance.

Mark Kaiser

Hey, The best choke I would say is Mod chock when I hunted pheasants I used skeet because your walking and they fly up right in front of you and you want a quik spread. I've used a 870 20 gauge in Mod choke I was hitten pheasants of the full fly from 45 yards away The shot size was number 4 but I wouldnt use anything bigger and the smallest I would say number 6 I shot a pheasant with number 8 and it just muffled its feathers up and it tried gettin away so I shot him again with number 6 and he folded, so go with number 6 or number 4;)

Luke

Mark Kaiser

No problem

May I ask if your hunting wild pheasants or released pheasants. Im actually raising pheasants in the spring and releasing them in the fall.

Good Huntin,

Mark

Luke

Im hunting stocked birds.  In the game commision game lands

Alboy

I have shot them with all shot sizes. Took these with #7 1/2's last December in this little 20 SxS. The chokes are marked "Long Range" and Long Range"

When you use shot smaller than 6's you just need to do it closer. 5's are probably the most popular all around.

Good hunting guys. Take some pictures and share.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

motor (deceased)

I raise pheasants for my own use..they are delicious eating and i also eat the eggs..when i used to hunt them i  used a Rem. 870, full choke, #6 shot..good kuck..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

Mark Kaiser

Im going to be raising pheasants in the spring and im going to release them to hunt. I CANT WAIT THERE GONNA BE SO FUN!

good huntin,

mark

Brithunter

Hi All,

Most pheasent shooting here in the UK is driven, the guns wait at pre determined spots (pegs) and the birds are flushed from cover by beaters and dogs, so they are normally coimg over you from in front and low birds are not shot  (for safety as well as sporting reasons) the most common guns is still the classic SxS game gun in 12 bore using No6 shot (European sizes of course) a good game shot will pluck a scorcher out of the air at a height of about 120 feet and get most of the pattern in the head and neck area, you don't want a body full of shot:rolleyes:  I have never tried this but have friends that do shoot pheasent, should have taken Cliff the ganekeepers offer up for a day on his shoot:confused: .

Rough or walked up shooting is also done but any pheasents are not normally on the quarry list unless there is no shoot on the ground then they are fair game in season of course which has just ended. I watched two nice Cock Ringnecks this mornign on the field.
Go Get them Floyd!

sdhunter

check out this site. www.r-rpheasanthunting.com  We use alot of modified 5 shot. these are mostly wild birds.  we have found that the over/under is becoming the weapon of choice on our south dakota hunts.

Mark Kaiser

Are wild pheasants harder to hunt?

motor (deceased)

yes they are because they are faster and you never know when one will get up if you don't hunt with dogs..for a big bird they will fool you with there flying..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

Mark Kaiser

i never new that, that's very interesting.

thanks,
mark

Tags: