Computer attack Via Photobucket

Started by Brithunter, February 22, 2010, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Just aheads up Mothers PC has been attacked Via my Photobucket account. The attack has disabled the Symantec Norton protection and a Kodak programme.

I will not be online as much until I get this sorted. I am posting this from the new PC in the unheated mobile Home.
Go Get them Floyd!

rockinbbar

I too got that virus from Photobucket.

It was so bad that even taking the PC down to my local geek squad only resulted in them having to reformat my computer. Basically, I lost all programming, and it will be like a new computer when I get it back.

:(

Tends to hack one off rather roundly.

I'm on my back-up computer.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

recoil junky

Hopefully the "geeks" at photobucket can get it cleared up soon. I was on photobucket yesterday, but not today. I'll wait for the all clear.

Thanks for the heads up BH.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Alboy

So that is the most likely place where I was picking that up?

Man it is nasty. Have had to put my puter in the shop twice for virus removal. It was trying to sell me a bogus virus program, if you let the computer run long enough it took you to a **** site. It also refused to let me go anywhere else including games, or use the normal fixes such as back up.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well it seems that I was lucky although I have spent the morning downloading a removal tool from Symantec which unistalled it's programmes then I had to re-install it all off the disc then of course re-start the computer and initiate the Norton protection and then download the latest update and install them. Re-start the puter and all but the Kodak updater is now working it seems so later on I will un-install it and re-install that and see if it sorts it out.

Meanwhile the computer has done two scans and found nowt.

Symantecs removal programme seems to have removed the problem and I can now use google to search as normal. Yes I too had that problem even typing the www.wildcatrifles.co.uk address in the addy bar didn't take me to their site but some sales sites :mad: . As soon as that download page appeared telling me that our computer was infected I shut that window down. This is the second time I have been attacked from Photobuckets site and I will e-mail them yet again about this depending upon their repsonse will determine if I keep using their site or not. If I decide not too I will download all my photos to disc then delete the account.

Alboy I hope you get yours sorted out OK. And yes I had only just logged onto the site when the warning box popped up from our Norton antivirus programme so it's most likely from their site. I am wondering if it's some anti gun or anti huntign nutjob :mad:
Go Get them Floyd!

Alboy

Thanks Brit

As for the kind of nut job, I don't care I just wish they would come aligator hunting with me someday.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Brithunter

Seems I spoke too soon as Mothers puter is still having problems. A google search took me everywhere but where I wanted to go :no: . I will try again on the Symantec site to find out what the problem is meanwhile I am in the cold with hat and coat on at the keyboard.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

:eek:

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't been to my PB account in a couple of days. I'll stay away 'til I hear it's OK.

I too wonder, if the problem isn't an anti-hunting hacker AT PB instead of a PB-wide problem? Did Symantec give any information on how widespread the problem was?

For weeks, I have been getting bogus messages from three other forums I am a member of, telling me that my computer is "infected" with a virus, and I need to go to *** to get it fixed. Checking at the forums reveals that this is an attack at the forum, and not legitimate forum email. Again, I wonder if this isn't some concerted attack by Anitis?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

rockinbbar

From what my geek squad said, there's NO firewall or anti-virus that will pick it up because it gets in your computer from ads that either scroll down or pop-up.

BritHunter,

The reason your removal tool won't work is that the worm senses that you are trying to get rid of it, and it starts to work around that, and further infiltrates your system.

You will end up with a green screen that won't allow you to do anything. If you try to run your removal tool in safe mode, it will essentially lock down your computer with the terminal "Blue Screen of Death"...which was where I was with that, and had to take it in and let the computerguys reformat my computer.

Basically I lost ALL software & programs on my computer. You have to reload all the software (If you have it). :(

Photobucket needs to have a few lawsuits to get rid of the problem, in my opinion.

Barry

rockinbbar

I sent Photobucket the following e-mail.

We will see what they say....

I'm Barry , and currently am an Administrator on two public forum websites.

Recently while posting pictures from my photobucket account, I encountered a virus on Photobucket that is very malicious and damaging. In fact, I had to have my entire computer reformatted at my computer shop. They told me that the virus was adware. I know it came from Photobucket because that's where the invasion occured.

Then today, while at a public forum that I Admin. , I have a member that had the same problem with Photobucket.

Here's a link to that thread.

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14771

In short, I'm very afraid of further infections at Photobucket. This concern passes on to the membership of the forums that I run, (Which is approximately 40,000 people.)

If your site allows popdowns, or popups that carry this malicious ad ware that destroies computers, then I will have no choice but to inform the entire population on my sites that they run a very dangerous risk of computer viruses if they visit Photobucket, and should steer clear of it.

I hope I'm being heard here. It is very expensive to get my computer fixed, not mention the obvious loss of files time and software by doing so.

I see this as very serious problem.

Please contact me as to what I'm supposed to tell 40,000 people that run the risk of getting a damaging virus by visiting or using your site.
The reasonable expectation of security while on Photobucket does not exist as of now from my standpoint. If you wish to contact me, you have my e-mail, and if wish to phone me, my number is ********.

Thank you.

Barry

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Cheers for that Barry. I am not sure what to do about Mothers PC now as it has an adware blocking programme to stop the pop ups. I will have to think what we need to save and what we can junk. The problem is as I see it if we attempt to back up stuff onto disc we risk infecting again. So far I have not been able to find my particular problem on Nortons site I will try asking for support and see what happens.
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Am currently talkign to support and we have hope it can be resolved.
Go Get them Floyd!

davidlt89

I to thank you for the heads up. I have not been on my account for awhile and nothing seems to have happened when I was there. My virus protection does pretty well. any of you that got infected there have windows Vista!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jamie.270

The latest bug I have heard about is pretty prevalent and is AV.exe apparently.  It arrives as a pop-up and if you click on it AT ALL it starts the program.  It is also morphing almost daily.
You can read about it here:
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/av.exe-284.html

I was instructed that if I get a pop-up window that warns of being infected with a virus to NOT CLICK ANYWHERE ON THE POP-UP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.  Clicking on it triggers it.
Instead, immediately use Ctl+Alt+Delete.  This stops all activity and when the option box shows up click "shut down."
Re-boot in safe mode and run: Malwarebytes anti malware.  It is a free download and if you already have it you can scan the  registry files etc. and get rid of them before they can do any more harm.
You can also try these instructions I got from a knowledgeable "geek" on another site:
You may still have been infected... try this if you think you are still infected:

Quote Boot up/log in as usual.
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, bring up the Task Manager using CTRL+ALT+DEL
Click on PROCESSES
Sort processes by name. (just makes it easier to find)
AS SOON AS you see ie-av.exe, select it and click END PROCESS
Click YES, when asked if you are sure.
You only have maybe 2 or 3 seconds to kill the process before it gets up and running (depending on how fast your computer is- for once, slower is better!), but once it is ended, you can freely remove it, backup files, etc.
[/COLOR]Good luck!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: