1-8-05 Saturday Brunch @Kit's

Started by Kit, January 08, 2005, 07:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kit

Good Morning!   Breakfast or brunch - it stays warm here by the fire!  I slept in a bit so I see some of you have come and gone.  That's ok, your places will be saved at supper for a new spread!

This morning ...
  Making Pop-ups (in the oven - these are not toaster things :cool: ) pastries with butter, jam, cream cheese.

Omelettes... plain cheese *or* loaded SW with lots of cheese, onions, peppers, refried beans, salsa, garlic...

Canadian bacon on the side.  If someone supplies some fancy spicey sausage I'll oblige...

Coffee.  OJ.  Spice tea.

Snow to toss at each other...

Enjoy!  Have a great weekend!
  Blessings
  ~Kit

Dragonfly

Sounds delicious Kit!!! :D

It' cold, damp and cloudy here in the mid south.  Burrrr!!! We Southerners just can't take the cold!!! LOL!!!!

I'm getting ready to put on a big pot of chili so we can eat thru the football playoffs.

Everyone have a great day!!!!!

RumRunner

Thanks Kit.....More coffee, and just a bit of that cream cheeze sounds pretty good. I have always liked a woman's good coffee better than my own. My wife say's I've done burned my own taste buds out with the swill I call coffee.

On my second pot of coffee for the day, but an extra cup is always welcomed...no matter what time of day it is!

I Still ain't never had one of $5 fancy things from Starbucks though. That must be some awful good coffee for them to charge that much, reckon I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

Ya know....I could well be the Star Player in hunt camp if I could master those Starbucky things, the fellers all agree my cookin is passable, but according to them same fellers my coffee making could use a just bit of improvement....too stout, they say.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

Kit

Quote from: RumRunnerI Still ain't never had one of $5 fancy things from Starbucks though. That must be some awful good coffee for them to charge that much, reckon I'll have to give it a try one of these days.
Nah, skip the "Starbucks" and go for the SBC (Seattle's Best - used to be "Stewart Brothers Coffee").  I'm partial not only because I knew the owner but because it was *better* :-)  ... Not sure if they moved off Vashon Island already but we used to be able to stop by the roaster on the way to a ferry and pick up a cup from their *front porch* for 25 cents and grab a low-priced fresh local bakery item as well.

Quote from: RumRunnerYa know....I could well be the Star Player in hunt camp if I could master those Starbucky things, the fellers all agree my cookin is passable, but according to them same fellers my coffee making could use a just bit of improvement....too stout, they say.
Awww heck.  Teach 'em how to add a bit of hot water.  Or anything else they like will do, half-n-half, eggnog...

Quote from: DragonflyI'm getting ready to put on a big pot of chili so we can eat thru the football playoffs.!
Chili sounds great!  Let's make up extra for dinner...  Crock pot here we come...  Whoever wants can sit out there by the fire - I'll supply the extension cord for the Playoffs  :-)) but some of us will be in here evading this wind that the locals call a "breeze" ...

Quote from: DragonflyIt' cold, damp and cloudy here in the mid south. Burrrr!!! We Southerners just can't take the cold!!! LOL!!!!
As for " cold, damp and cloudy" here is our version today:

Jay Edward (deceased)

I'm really late today...got in late last night from a conference in Kalispell.  Then I spent the morning dealing with the snow.  My driveway is pretty long and I needed to clean off the roof of the metal shop as well.  Someday I would like to have a small front end loader.  I've noted the small Kubota tractors with the mowing deck and bucket.  It even has a minature backhoe attachment you can purchase.

Anyway, thanks for leavin' the coffee on the rock...I always enjoy a cup of coffee after comin' in from outside.

Dragonfly

If your going for a great tractor Jay....Kabota is the best!!! No matter the job Kabota is like a stout mule...will do anything and everything!!!:D

Rumrunner I've had Starbucks coffee when we are traveling...something we both look foreward to is a great cup of Starbucks.  One cup of Starbucks is like 3 of anything else in size and taste.  Course we always go Columbian!!!

I bet you make Cowboy coffee...pour coffee in the pot, top with water and let her boil over a hot fire. :rolleyes:

RumRunner

"I bet you make Cowboy coffee...pour coffee in the pot, top with water and let her boil over a hot fire. :rolleyes:"

Actually, I am very proud of the fact that I stll own an old J.L Bean Perculator.

Bought sometime back around 1962, it holds 30 "cups", and still has the original little glass "Perc-Vue" that came with it. The "basket" has been replaced, and somewhere I have a x-tra set of wood handles, and a second basket that were all ordered while we could still get parts for it back in the mid 1990's....This Cowboy has mucho style when it comes to his coffe pot.

Every body I know has tried to "steal" me cofffee pot.

Now, if I could ever get that receipe for "good" coffee down...................:o

Kit

Quote from: RumRunner...very proud of the fact that I stll own an old J.L Bean Percolator.
My great aunt who was born in 1900 made the best coffee in those pots.  She swore that the secret was to rinse right away after use  ~~>> AND clean out the oils by wiping the insides with paper towels (which soak up the coffee oils), and never to wash it like other dishes.

She said if you don't use the paper towel the coffee tastes bad.

So there ya have it.
 :D
 ~Kit

Dragonfly

Rumrunner, I still have a top of the fire percolator too!!! Great for camping; sleeping out under the stars.   It's just a 10 cup but it makes great coffee!!!

My grandmother had an old wood stove.  A Fire King.  She also had an electric stove like everyone else but my grandfather loved his biscuits from the oven and coffee made on top of the old wood stove.

Did you ever lay a tater to fry on an old wood cook stove and let it fry?  Man I thought I was in heaven when I was at my grandpa's and grandma's!!!!:D

This thread is bringing back some great memories!!! LOL!!!

RumRunner

Kit, You and Dragonfly sound like you know a few things about coffee pots.

That's very good IMHO. Betcha yer both good old fashioned cooks too, meaning you probably know and understand a bit more than the average Home Economic major running around today, telling everybody how well they did back in school, on a particular exam. LOL!!!

That thing about the potato on the wood stove is indeed a very real thing.
Works like a charm. Also, Biscuits from the oven of a wood stove, are right up there amongst the worlds greatest wonders, and acts of tummy pleasing pleasures.
Also, looking back at my earlier post, my coffee pot is a L.L.Bean, not a J.L.Bean, but I'm sure two sharp girls like you knew that.

You folks stop by anytime for a cup. Ain't got no "Warm Morning", claw foot wood stove any more, but I got a mighty fine coffee pot, and an open fire place, and I do have lots of practice making "Breakfast Swill", as my other half calls it.....her coffee is a bit better than mine, but she uses one-o-them wind up timer thingys for letting it perc.....I just let the "good times roll" until I think it's about right, usually around seven / eight mintues perc, and three minutes to settle....works for me.

Wonderful world indeed......:)

Dragonfly

Yer right Rumrunner.  I've used every kind of coffee pot known to man at one time or another. :D  And my preference is a percolator.  I don't like the MR Coffee's one whit!!

Yep I under stood LL Beam!!!

And I do cook country style in everything I cook. :rolleyes:

Tool Dude

Alright Kit..........I was doing really good on my diet........WAS would be the magic word!!!  Sounds like you'all are or did put on a tremendous feast.  My Wife does those kinds of breakfasts probably 12 to 15 times a year and I swear, I carry the pounds most of the year.  She sure is a great cook!  The old coffee pots and all sure lend a different "flavor" to any meal.  We are one of those "Cast-Iron" families..at least I am.  I love collecting the old Griswold skillets and dutch ovens.  They made 'em really good back there in Erie, PA.  
How much snow did you folks get there?  Here in Coeur d'Alene, we have about 9" with alot of drifting because of the wind.  Gotta run cuz its my turn to cook dinner (stir-fry and rice).  
Take care!
Brian

Tags: