The downside of living in the 'naki

Started by jesusgecko, January 09, 2010, 12:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusgecko

For about 2 - 3 months now I've had a whole heap of reloads with varied charges sitting in my drawer waiting to be test fired in order to see where I'm going.  
Trouble is the Taranaki is notorious for high winds,  and as we are in an "El Nino" year,  it's pushing ridiculous!!!
We have had some beautiful weather except for the wind - which only seems to drop under 20kph when I'm at work.

Call me impatient,  but how badly can wind affect bullet performance?  I desperately want to see how I'm grouping with the various loads,  and then do a sight in on the best option.

I kind of HAVE to be impatient as well - I have about ten rounds of Winchester 140gn super X (factory load which I'm sighted in for) left,  no sign of any coming into the country,  and a big shoot up happening later in the month.

OPINIONS PLEASE!!!  :Banghead:
Normality is for the weak.

gitano

If you shoot in the wind, you will be greatly frustrated.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Shooting in high wind can and has caused excessive use of alcohol.:eek:   You have a much better chance with straight downwind shots......don't know why, so don't ask! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

jesusgecko

So basically what you're saying is either go christian and get praying,  or get bootlegging and restock the top shelf?

*sigh*

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: jesusgecko;101818So basically what you're saying is either go christian and get praying, or get bootlegging and restock the top shelf?

*sigh*

works for me..:biggthumpup:

Ol' John...:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

jesusgecko

.....and I'm on the hard stuff right now.  Not because I tried shooting and ended up getting picked up by a tornado and having to test my reloads on a scarecrow,  tin man,  and a lion;  but because it is perfect shooting weather.

Yes,  perfect shooting weather.....and the guy whose property I have access to has a whole heap of calves in the paddock he uses as a range!!!

Mind you,  they are fresian,  so I may be able to find one that has a two inch black dot inside a white patch.....

gitano

Patience pays off. Try to maintan that patience at the trigger.

At 58, I still, now and then, let myself get 'excited' about a new load or cartridge and 'rush' things at the bench. It does satisfy the "need" to pull the trigger, but doesn't do much for the "science" of the matter. ;)

I do not drink coffee on the day I intend to shoot - hunting or at the bench. I had to learn that "the hard way". (Unfortunately, the way I have to learn many things. :))

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jesusgecko

QuoteI do not drink coffee on the day I intend to shoot
Trust me - you don't want me NOT drinking coffee on any given day,  whether shooting or not.  By lunch time I start getting headachey and a bit grumpy,  by early afternoon I'm feeling nauseous and REALLY grumpy.

I also start going green and muscley.

Tags: