A Cool Thing Just Happened

Started by recoil junky, December 17, 2009, 02:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Unless of course your hay is worth $150 a ton.

I went out to the shop/barn to feed the horses and as I was walking around the back of the Mustang, a very small mulie fawn got up from where it was bedded down by my haypile. Yes it was very cute, so cute even I called the wife at work and told her about it, but not so cute I didn't shoo it away and close the door.

I've got the "back door" of the barn open so the horses can come and go to get out of the weather, not so the deer can go in and help themselves. Apparently the deer have been coming and going to because there is a pretty good accumulation of deer poo in the stall where the horses are supposed to be taking shelter.

Sorry Bamby, your free meal ticket just got punched. Now all the horses have to do is eat faster so they don't have to share their hay with the deer.

While on the ranch we "fed" a goodly deer population and sometimes had to take "measures" to deter them. I guess old habits die hard.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Antler3

That is really neat !!   May not be too hard to put meat on the table:greentongue:
ANTLER 3

Paul Hoskins

It's bad enough to share the garden with them but your hay is getting ridiclous. .......Paul H

LvrLover

Thats why my employer has us shoot as many as we want. You can see where the deer eat in the fields. They really do the damage.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

gitano

What is that in the lower right corner of your picture, Paul?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Looks like a sunflower head to me.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

drinksgin (deceased)

NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Well SURE... Now that you SAY it. :)

When I first looked at it, it looked like a chicken head. :stars:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I never noticed it before. Probably a sunflower head tho. I have sunflowers come up all over the place. Feed the birds & squirrels around half a ton every year.  .........Paul H

recoil junky

This morning the pest was "waiting" at the door to get in, but I didn't let him/her. I was telling the missus that we should "capture" it and see if it's a buck, how big he'll get. She looked at me with that "yeah right" sorta look. It sure doesn't go very far when it leaves. Only about 10-15 yards and just stands there. From the looks of it, it lost it's mommy sometime back, because the other does and fawns that have been hanging around, the other  fawns are much bigger and fatter.

RJ

Paul Hoskins

I bet it would still taste good.   ........Paul H

kombi1976

Ahhh, Paul, ever the pragmatist. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

recoil junky

Paul Hoskins

I have one in the freezer that I shot in the back yard recently. I killed two of them but gave my girlfriend one of them. I skunt it out fer her & she did the rest. Should have let her skin it out too. She's younger than I am..... .....Paul H

Alboy

Yea go ahead abd rope that orphan. there is a story on here somewhere about how that goes.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: