field test

Started by noel, November 11, 2009, 07:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noel

seems this is my year for ammunition testing.last year I tried several different sabot slugs in my mossberg 535 and found the most consistent performance was with winchester 23/4" platinum tips. the remington and federal sabots seemed to go everywhere! to quote Gitano"different guns shoot different ammunition,differently".so true! well saturday I shot my first deer from that gun an was very pleased with the results. it wasn't the nicest shot I can think of and you oldtimers might say not a good one either but I made it.75 yds,big doe going away in the bush,stopped tail to me so I rolled my can call.she turned 180 and stood staring at me.put the crosshairs at the junction of the neck and shoulders and squeezed one off.knocked her down so fast I didn't see her fall! when we skinned her we recovered the slug.to the naked and untrained eye it appears as though pretty well all of it is still there and that's after being in the bone in the spine! I would have to say that the performance claims are in fact,true! swelled out to about the size of a quarter and as paul says,"transfers all of the energy to the animal" thanks for the good tips fellas!:biggthumpup:
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

noel,

Good on ya, neighbor..!:biggthumpup:

Neck shots are my favorite and, imo, you done did it just right!  Gettum lookin' at ya..!

Another satisfied happy hunter at THL.:smiley:

Ol' John..:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

I'm not sure to what "old timers"  you refer, but for my two-cents-worth, that's a dandy outcome!

I would love to see some pictures both of the critter and of the slug if you get a chance.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Sounds like those slugs are very effective. :eek:

Never heard of a Mossberg 535.
What type of gun / rifle is it?
If you are battling to get accuracy out of a shotgun using slugs, then why not just use a rifle?
Or am I missing something here?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

TackyDriver

Does the 595 have a smooth or rifled barrel? I have a 395 that I wanted to try with slugs. Sounds like you made a good shot to me. I'm with Paul and would love to see pix.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

kombi1976

Ditto, there.
A picture's worth a 1000 words, afterall.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

noel

trying to upload pics of the slug. hope it works
gun owners of Canada

gitano

If that's the recovered slug, WOW! That's great! To me, especially for a doe, a recovered slug like that is a great trophy.

Thanks for the pics.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

That is excellent expansion.
Small wonder she dropped like she did.
Winchester would love advertising like that!
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Great expansion, delivered all it energy to the animal. Great results!:jumpingsmiley:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

noel

I really liked the results too! that slug is 50cal so it basically doubled in diameter.I have a 50cal projectile that I recovered from a doe last year which was fired from my B/P rifle.it did not expand much,just sort of rolled to one side.this year I will be using the SST sabots.they are 45cal sabotted to 50.soft tip like the leverlution.hope I get to see how they perform also!
gun owners of Canada

Tags: