Beautiful Area Near Canberra Australia - Roo and Fox Etc

Started by Aussie Pete, January 03, 2005, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie Pete

Went out on Boxing Day to assist a landowner with an approved kangaroo cull. This is located around two hours by road from Canberra Australia (towards Captain's Flat).

This place was awesome. I have attached pics before the night set in and before my camera battery died.

Pic 1
This is the river area with waterfalls and water pools set in rock. This shows a particularly rugged area not easily accessed.

Pic 2
This shows the pools in the river gorge. these have platypus, trout and numerous other beautiful examples of nature. Truly a great find. The other side of the river is national park.

Pic 3
Mate holding my Steyr and his Winchester 70 in 30-06. We didn't use these in the area preferring instead to look at the scenery and enjoy nature at its best.

Pic 4
A lovely full moon over the pasture areas. Rolling hills with numerous paddocks. At one end of the property the kangaroos are so prevalent a shot will almost see the entire paddock move!

We had a good night. We got around six roos choosing to follow the cull guidelines and seek out active mating animals. We also staked out carcasses for the numerous foxes (that was FUN!) and could hear pigs up the river/creek gorges. We laid one opened roo carcass on the lead to a gully and could hear the pigs but due to having to go to work the next day we split at around 2am. Next time we'll stake out this area sooner with a carcass and the 300WM.

Whilst we got the roos and the foxes, the lesson from the night was that hidden treasures like this thankfully still exist and can be enjoyed by sight, sound and smell with cameras etc. Guns not compulsory.

Regards,
AP>
Aussie hunter - if it moves and it\'s a varmint it\'s gonna die.
Steyr Tactical Elite Synthetic Stainless 223Rem
Sako P94S Finnfire Varmint 22LR Blued Oiled
Sako 75 Type V Synthetic Stainless 300WM (just sold for an upgrade...)

Antler3

Those are some beautiful pictures thank you for posting them. Sounds like a good hunt too. Never hunted roos...course we don't have them in my neck of the woods LOL. Interesting to hear about it. :)
ANTLER 3

Antler3

ANTLER 3

M. R. Byrd

Hey, one, un-named town in Kansas has those. A result of an experiment gone bad. That town does take claim to the word, "buckaroo". Bet you always wondered where that word came from---now you know.

Maynard :D
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Antler3

LOL Thanks for that info. and your right ,I did not know where that came from. I knew he was a buckaroo but not where he originated from. How many are there now ? Maybe we'll have a season for them one day.... I think I will use a long range rifle, don't think I'd ever want to be up close and personal with one LOL. :D
ANTLER 3

gitano

Good pics and thanks for sharing. What kind of fish do you find in those creeks?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: