Please help to identify

Started by Jacques Pienaar, October 16, 2009, 04:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacques Pienaar

Hi All
I received this rifle as a gift from a friend of mine.  All I know is that it is a Parker-Hale Rifle in claibre 308 Win.  There are no model numbers on it.  
Can anyone please help me to identify the model and perhaps where I can get more information about the model of rifle as well as the year of manufacture, etc on the net.  Pics available at the link below on my photobucket page. Oh yes, I deleted the first three digits of the serial number.
http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad226/bureau15/
Thanks all.

sakorick

Hello Jacques and welcome to the forum. Would a Mod please move this to the Parker Hale thread?

I recon it's a 1100 with the fancy triggerguard and floorplate. I saw no import mark so it was either brought back from Europe by a GI or imported to Canada. If you remove the rifle from the stock on the underside of the rear of the barrel you will find a pair of crossed sabers with letters and numbers in the cartouch. If you tell us the letters and numbers and what side of the saber they are in or take a picture we can tell you the year of manufacture.

Are you Canadian perchance? If this thread gets moved it will show up in the Parker Hale section. If you click on guns and ammo you will see the Parker Hale rifles thread under firearms and optics.

There is a chap named brithunter who will show up directly with more definitive information on your rifle. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteWould a Mod please move this to the Parker Hale thread?

Ok, but only because you asked so nicely. :)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Welcome to THL Jaques.

Nice looking rifle.

For future reference, folks usually block out the last three digits of the serial number as it is often the case that the first numbers define a date or manufacturing sequence. Also, I'm kind of a privacy 'nut', and even I no longer 'worry' about revealing serial numbers. It's really difficult for anyone to do anything with a number they get off of the web. I'm not trying to talk you out of hiding your serial numbers, just offering some unsolicited opinion.

Welcome aboard.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hmmm interesting, and it just goes to show when you think you know something the exception pops up :( , Firstly I noticed that the bolt knob appears to be fully round. None of mine are with the exception of the 1100M in .458 Win Mag. Hmmmm that's the 2nd P-H to show up here with that feature :eek:  but the other one has a bolt problem and I am not convinced it's the correct bolt in it :stare:  .

The stock is similar to the Midland with a slim and what looks to be hard butt plate so I am leaning towards a Model 1000. Will have  a browse through the catalogues a bit later (Tomorrow) and compare. I am embarrased to say i cannot recall what the bolt knob is like on the Model 1000 I am buying :shy:  :Banghead:  . Of course it may be a varient of the earlier Safari but I seem to recall most of those were marked on the side wall. If we can date it with the Private View mark it may help identify it but either confirming or disproving the Safari theory.  Safaris are my bug bear as I have not seen very many of them :shy:  as lot's that are advertised here as such are not actually Safari's at all.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Well Kevin, it feels good to see you are stumped!:smiley: When Jacques re-emerges I'll bet that's a Canadian rifle as there were some odd ducks exported there. My guess is that if is Canadian, it's some sort of crossbreed. What puzzles me is the fancy triggerguard and floorplate with a common trigger, no tips and no schnabel end. Not an ugly duckling..... just a good looking odd one. I wonder how it shoots?

Thanks Daryl........... Regards, Rick.

Jacques Pienaar

Hi Everybody !
Thanks for all your replies so far. I do apologise for placing my post in the wrong place, though.  I am rather new to this Forum-thing...... :)
I am from South Africa. This rifle was given to me by the wife of a client of my store after he passed away and, sadly, she was not really into firearms enough, to tell me the history of the rifle.  
The only thing that she was able to tell me was that her husband bought it about 30 years ago from a friend and that it was his most prized rifle.  
It is very accurate, has a smooth action and has excellent rifling in the barrel.  I specifically looked at the mechanism of the bolt and it fits perfectly and moves smoothly without any problems.  
It was looked after very well, as I have not been able to identify any marks or rust spots on the metal.  Only the stock has a few dings form what I would imagine would be normal handling and wear and tear from hunting in the bush.

I have loaded some more pictures on photobucket

When I get back from work this afternoon (it is 09H30 here at the moment) I will take the stock off and look for the marks that you enquired about.

I will post the pictures as soon as I have them loaded onto my pc.

Thanks, once again, to everybody that posted replies so far.  I really appreciate it.

Brithunter

Ahhh Rick,

Being stumped is nothing new :shy: and it's the reason for my quest for P-H litreture so I came become un-stumped :greentongue: It started after I did the trade for my 1100 De Luxe:-

Once I got the rifle I tried asking as to which model it is and got several incorrect replies :confused: I was told it's a Super Safari, Early 1200, De Luxe (closest) and several that I cannot recall now. It was not until I stumbled onto the P-H # 73 catalogue that I discovered that it's an 1100 De Luxe. What bothered me about this is that all had either been in the trade a long time or had actually worked at Parker-Hale :eek: .

Which has the embossed floor plate

My 1100 Lwt does not not have the embossed floor plate but a smooth one like the 1200V. Both 1100's however have black triggers and not the gold plated one like the 1200's. Another difference which is commonly encountered is on the 1100M as they were made with both the std two stage Mauser trigger AND with a P-H single stage trigger. I have not been able to find any reason for this change or if it's time related. My own 1100M which made made in 1984 I seem to recall and actually have a letter from P-H about it has the military two stage trigger.

I am wondering if there is a date relation to the smooth floor plates :undecided: and will have to check on the prodution dates of my 1200V and the 1100 Lwt however I seem to recall that the 1200V is older than I first thought. But it's worth a look and I really must open a book on these and write down the production dates and any differences. I did write the dates down on a copy of the View mark list and lost it :Banghead: .

Now correct me if I am wrong ............... but it would appear that there is a fore end tip of disimilar wood? Or looks liek the wood by the bi-pod is slightly different. is this the case?

The stock shape and style is that of a Model 1000 and I noticed that the bolt handle is slightly longer however that's  more likely due to a change in action supplier. P-H used more than one during the production period as I understand it. Now the stock style on the Model 100 changed after about 1968 to the rounded end like yours rather than the cut (slant) back style of the earlier ones. This is where missing catalogues are so frustrating :Banghead: . By 1985 even the 1200 Super had a rounded fore end tip rather than the angular style that they had earlier.

Oh the more I think of it the better I like the idea of building up a P-H data base. Looks like I will going to day college to learn how to use spread sheets and data base properly if I can get onto a course that is. Will make enquiries soon.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Well South Africa explains it. Your rifle to the best of my knowledge was never a model exported to the US.....At least I have never seen one. I like BH's reasoning as to me it looks like a hi-bred M1000/1100 deluxe. At any rate it makes not a wit as it's a great rifle and will serve you well. The date will be interesting. For BH.....spread sheets are easy...you could catalog them by year of manufacture and ad notes like Jacques' fancy floorplate. There are many more variations of Parker Hales than I ever realized. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Rick I think part of the problem is that P-H would make special runs that don't appear in the catalogues, like my 7.92mm marked 1200 Super, it's a chambering that's not listed in any that I have seen as yet! So it's entirely possible that the importer ordered the specifications they wanted if the order was large enough to make it worth while of course.

Unfortunately the idiots at Bremmer Arms who brought out P-H burnt all the production records along with everything else it seems so unless the importers are forthcoming with information that's going to be a dead end :Banghead: .

The date provided by the Private View mark is all we have for now once we get it that is :greentongue: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Jacques Pienaar

Thanks so far to everybody for your inputs.  I really appreciate it.  I have looked for the stamp that you mentioned but, alas, no such mark anywhere on the rifle.  I have uploaded three more pictures on my photobucket site.  These are the only three markings i could find underneath the stock.  The first was on the trigger assembly, the second on the magazine casing and the third a mark that was imprinted on the inside of the stock, underneath the rifle's barrel.  I hope this will help in our plight with this rifle.  my link for the photos, once again:
I thank each and everyone that has posted a reply here, to date, for your kind assistance.

branxhunter

Hello Jacques, welcome aboard. You will find the regulars here are a wealth of information and ideas.

On my Parker Hale the view mark is on the barrel just in front of receiver - you can see it in the attached photos. The important details are the numbers, letters and their location,

Marcus

Brithunter

Hmmm well the proof marks on that .243 are what I expect to find on the BSA's as all my Parker-Hale rifles have the proof marks on tha bottom of the barrel under the wood and only showing the "Crown over BNP" stamp on the side of the barrel and reciever ring with a calibre/chambering marking on top of the barrel.

The private view mark on the .243 in the photo looks like is NB which is from 1962 and the proof mark is of the older type which to some appears to be loading data which is why I think they stopped using that format.

Now back to Jacques rifle .................... Is that an electro etched numer on the bottom of the bolt near the handle root? The more I look at it the more it looks like one and that "IS" the way P-H marked their bolts :) with the last three digits of the serial number. If they are digits etched there and they match you serial number it's the correct bolt, if it's etched and the numbers are different then it's a mis-matched bolt.

Doh! just to proove the point that once you think you have something about P-H rifles nailed down it breaks lose :Banghead:  I just got my P-H rifles out to check this and on my 1200V the bolt has the last "FOUR" digits etched on the back of the bolt handle stem right next to the body rather like the Lee Enfields had :confused: whilst all the others have just the three digits and they are all read with the bolt handle pointing towards you.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jacques Pienaar

Brithunter, I checked and the three numbers etched by engraver (it seems) on my bolt are "674".  My serial number ends in "674 D", obviously emphasizing your point about matching numbers.  Apart from that, I took the rifle apart and the last three images I uploaded this morning had the only other numbers on the whole firearm, except for the serial number, the manufacturer and the calibre that are evident in the previous images.  And the etched number on the bolt....of course.  I looked everywhere (even took off the scope to look under the mounts)  but there are no other marks or numbers on the whole firearm.  What is my next course of action to assist you with the identification?:confused:
Thanks again for everybody's help so far.

Brithunter

OK it sounds like the bolt is the right one :biggthumpup:  and I still think it's going to be a a Model 1000.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: