Speaking of 8x57s.....

Started by gitano, October 08, 2009, 04:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I've been investing some of my inheritance - and I mean that genuinely - and found something I simply could not let escape my grasp.

Some time ago, I'm not sure when, Remington started a marketing program in which they made a one-year's production of some "classic" chamberings on a Model 700 action. Surprisingly, they called it "The Classic". :hat: I didn't find out about it 'til the 8x57 Mauser "Classic" year had already passed. :stare: Since then, I haven't been able to find one that was in the condition I wanted, or at the price I wanted. I can no longer say that. I am now the pleased owner of a "New in Box" Remington Model 700 Classic chambered in 8x57 Mauser.

All you Remington haters do not feel inhibited from expressing your derision for Remington. I have no umbilical loyalty to Remingtons. I like 'em. You not liking them doesn't bother me one whit. So let fire if you feel the need, I will not be offended.

To me, this rifle represents an American classic - walnut and blue - in classic lines. And while not in an American classic chambering, it is without doubt my "favorite". That said, there was a .308 Win of the same description - NIB. It was touch and go whether I was going to get that one or not. In the end, I opted for other choices. So you can see, 8mm really IS my favorite caliber, and the 8x57 is my favorite cartridge.

Here are the pictures from the auction site. I'll post "real" ones when I get it in my hands. Oh yeah... With shipping to AK, I paid $535. If I could find 10 of them at that price I'd buy them all...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

I love those deep chocolate wood stocks, she is really pretty Paul
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Wierd.... I said "Thanks, Al" about an hour ago and now it's gone...

Oh well... Thanks, AL.
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Nice, BDL bottom metal, but no cheesy black caps on the forend and pistol grip.
Kinda like an ADL with a hinged floorplate, but a better looking shape on the forend.

Nice gun Paul.  With little or no work it's accuracy will win you over the rest of the way! ;)
I hope to try out an 8x57AI one of these days, and  I hope it'll be a M700 when I do.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Brasco20

Looks great.  Theres nothin wrong with m700's, they might not be the best gun on the planet, but man are they accurate, and they just work.  A huntin buddy of mine says that the bolt is too sloppy.  On mine, the bolt is smooth, sloppy or not, it fires everytime, and it is the most accurate rifle i own. So wheres the problem?

I couldnt tell ya

Brasco

Nelsdou

Pretty nice one there Paul.

I too have heard of the special edition 8's but never seen one.  Is the barrel twist one in ten?  Six groove?

The 8mm Husky I just got was advertised as an "excellent" condition bore and the seller was true to his word.  Surprisingly it has no freebore and the throat is tight.  Hornady 195s can't be seated out much past the cannelure before hitting the lands.

I'd be curious how Remington cuts their chamber throats for the 8.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Thanks Jamie and Brasco.

Nels - The twist is 1:10, but I don't yet know the number of lands/grooves. As soon as I get my hands on it - probably late next week - I'll let you know the chamber length and groove count.

I own a few Remington 700s, and they all shoot very well. I'll be greatly disappointed if this one doesn't shoot like it's predecessors.

Still, it's the looks of this rifle I like. It's lean without being austere. The lines are simple without being plain. There aren't any curliques or "seksy" curves. It's walnut and blued steel. To my eye, and with the exception of the Ruger M77, you gotta step WAY up in quality and price to best it.

Of course I will want to try the 125-grain bullets, but I'll be looking at the Hornady 195 for the 'heavy' end, and expecting it to shoot the straighter of the two. I just haven't been able to get that blasted 125 to shoot straight... yet. I really like the 220 Sierra in the 8mm SLT, but I think it may just be a bit too heavy for the Mauser case. We'll see.

More goodies to come...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi Gitano,

Now this might surprise you but I happen to think that particular rifle is the best of the Remington line up. If I was to weaken it would be the only Model 700 allowed in my home and I believe my distaste of the 700 is well known :stare: .

It even looks like there is some nice grain under that factory finish. If it was me I would have to be having a look and applying a hand oiled finish. Not original I know but I do find an oiled finsh is more tactile especially when wet. However if it's brought for investment purposes then that might hurt it's value. Your call I'm afraid on that one.

It's strange how Remington must have realised that the classic look is a seller :smiley: it make me wonder why they didn't or don't adopt the styling for their mainsteam production :confused: . Me I happen to like Horn fore end tips, not plastic .................. Horn. Rosewood looks good too both are traditional material used in this application and both have been used for well over 100 years for it.

It's also a shame that you cannot get the S&B 196 SPCE bullet as I do believe you would like it :smiley: and I look forward to the range reports :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Jorge in Oz

It was love at first sight for me. Love the rifle and I love the caliber. Great find Paul. That is a gem. I'd nearly be tempted to keep it as a safe queen, but I like to shoot all my rifles.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

I too am tempted to "coddle" it, Jorge. But I love to shoot 8mm too much. Still, I have to acknowledge that if it was purchased as an investment, maximizing the value of the investment would mean keeping it unfired. I'm not sure I'm capable of doing that....

BH, I think you may change your opinion of the finish when I post some "real" pictures. It's not the high-gloss plastic finish of yore. In may even be an oil finish. You'll be the second to know. ;)

Quoteit make me wonder why they didn't or don't adopt the styling for their mainsteam production
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Because that no longer appeals to the "30-something" and younger crowd. The younger shooters want plastic and "black" looking firearms. Firearms are no longer desirable because they're "classic"; they're only desirable if they're "cool". Unfortunately, "Gangstuhs" and ignorant idiots in Hollywood now decide what's "cool". The fact is, this "Classic" marketing experiment didn't sell as well as old fogies like us would have liked. Pretty much, the only people that bought them were old fogies like us.

But I digress... ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhh I think for the old fogies like us they should have not only gone classic style but classic action, Bring back the Model 30 and was it the 725 that followed it> Sorry but I am not up on Remington model numbers:shy:
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

I've got a 7mag in 700 Classic. I really like it. It hasn't been abused, but it also has a few "character" dings.

I don't think a could have a rifle I couldn't shoot. I have a couple I don't shoot much, but I still shoot them.

Nice rifle Paul. I have a feeling I'll get to see it here  in Colorado some day. :biggthumpup:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Brasco20

I have one gun that i have never shot, and will probably never shoot.  Its a springfield side by side 12 guage, given to me by my grandfather, which was his fathers.  Not for the investment, its just so old, and kind of a relic, i see no need to shoot it.  I just enjoy looking at it, and wondering what it has been through.

For the quote about 30 and under guys liking whats "cool",  ill agree with the statement, but i dont fall in that category, and im 25.  To be honest, im sick of the black gun hype.  I used to enjoy watching guns and ammo tv, but now every show their talking about AR evolution.  I dont care about AR's and all the stuff they can put on them.  I love wood stocks, the more grain the better.  You cant beat the look of a beautiful wood stock.  My granpa killed plenty of elk with his old model 70.

I guess i just like things the old way.  My sisters husband told me i was nuts to spend 2 grand on a wall tent, when i could put the money towards a trailor.  I shook my head and told him " you just dont understand".

I like wood, i like canvas, and i like bolt actions.  Just me i guess.

Brasco

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: Brithunter;98063Ahhh I think for the old fogies like us they should have not only gone classic style but classic action, Bring back the Model 30 and was it the 725 that followed it> Sorry but I am not up on Remington model numbers:shy:

BH,

After the Model 30 came the 721 and 722, then the 725 which was a 721 with better wood and fit/finish...the 700 BDL was introduced then and there was a 78 for a short time and then the 700 ADL.  Then Remington introduced the 700 Classic...30-06,270, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55 Swede, 8x57 Mauser...etc,etc.:biggthumpup:

Ol' John..:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Brithunter

Cheers John,

I feel Remington lost the plot with the tube steel Rem 700 so much so that I am going to be selling my most modern rifle that also has tube steel reciever. I like em made the proper way :greentongue: . Need to make room for other properly made rifles :hat: .

I keep asking about a Rem Model 30  in 35 Rem that's in storage but no dice it seems :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: