6.5-'06 Ackley is back

Started by sakorick, September 22, 2009, 01:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Finally after more than a year my 6.5-'06 Ackley is reborn.  For the newbies, I wrecked the old FN action and had to install a new action, reblue and on and on. Specs are as follows: Brno commercial post war action, K98 bottom metal and bolt, A&B 24 inch med sporter with one in 10 twist, Walnut stock, 4x16x50 4200 Bushnell Elite scope, Burris mounts and Signature rings. Load data: 57 gr RL22, Winchester 25-06 brass necked up and fireformed, CCI200 primer, 120 grai Nosler BT at 3220'/sec. It's a laser to 300 yards and fun to shoot. I was going to do some more long range testing but it started to rain. This was my second build some 5 years ago and my primary long range deer rifle. Group is 3 shots at 100 yards. Enjoy......Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Fieldmor77

22hornet

That rifle has turned out to be a good looker and shooter. Well done Rick.

How did you manage to wreck the last action?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Did you get that group witnessed???

Just kidding. It's SO nice when a rifle shoots like that. That 120-grain bullet weight is right in the 'sweetspot' for delivered energy for the .264 caliber.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;97190That rifle has turned out to be a good looker and shooter. Well done Rick.

How did you manage to wreck the last action?

It is well documented here on THL. I had 2 kinds of powder on the reloading bench at the same time and was in a hurry.....a sure disaster waiting to happen.:Banghead:  I loaded 55 gr IMR4064 instead of 55 gr RL22 and pulled the trigger.....bye bye nice mauser bolt and action. I had my glasses on or may have damaged my eyes from the blowback. Thank you Paul Mauser. Please read this but don't ever say it can't happen to you. Don't reload amist distractions, when you are in a hurry or have other things on your mind......focus!!!!!:smiley:  Regards, Rick.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;97192Did you get that group witnessed???

Just kidding. It's SO nice when a rifle shoots like that. That 120-grain bullet weight is right in the 'sweetspot' for delivered energy for the .264 caliber.

Paul

Actually, I was shocked.........we'll see how the long range shooting goes. Thanks for the kudos, regards, Rick.

Jorge in Oz

Beaut rifle and excellent shooting you must be very satisfied witth the final product.

Well done.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;97209Beaut rifle and excellent shooting you must be very satisfied witth the final product.

Well done.

Yes I am....exceeded expectations. I love it when a plan comes together! Regards, Rick.

Jamie.270

Wow Rick, that rifle is a beaut!  And what more could anyone ask for groups.
How many rounds have you put through it since the rebuild?
Or is that the barrel from the first build????
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Hello Jamie. I've put about 12 rounds down range. I am going to do some 250 yard testing soon. Yes, it's the same barrel with a new bolt and action. Regards, Rick.

Fieldmor77

Rick, there's a 338-06 Ackley imp Mauser just been listed on usedguns.com.au.
There asking $6,500.00 for it, thought you might like to have a look.:biggthumpup:

It's in the whats new section, cheers.

sakorick

Quote from: Fieldmor77;97291Rick, there's a 338-06 Ackley imp Mauser just been listed on usedguns.com.au.
There asking $6,500.00 for it, thought you might like to have a look.:biggthumpup:

It's in the whats new section, cheers.

It must really be a dog if it's only 6.5K.:biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

sakorick

250 yard update. Yesterday was a disaster at the 250 yard range with the Ackley. I shot a 6 shot group that was horrific. I emailed Paul. I was already soaking the bore in wipeout. He suggested that I re-torque all the scope mount and guard screws which I did this morning. The front scope ring was loose, the windage screws were not snug and the barrel was full of copper. Just now, I shot a 2 inch 5 shot group with a 7MPH L. to R. Xwind. The last shot was just off the target edge. Whew!!!!! I was convinced I had a problem. Some times the KISS approach fixed things that aren't really broken. I am confidently ready for deer season! Regards, Rick.

gitano

That's a shooter for sure! I really didn't have anything to do with it. Rick, had already decided to check the sighting system. My suggestions just mirrored what he was already onto.

That particular cartridge, the 6.5 AI, really has to be considered one of the absolute "best" cartridges for whitetail deer. I don't wanna start anything about "mine's better'n yours". I'm just saying that cartridge 'answers a lotta mail' with regard to a good whitetail cartridge. It helps that this particular rifle/shooter combination produces nice tight little groups. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Very, very nice. We have a saying over here in Aust along the lines of "more show than go". Well, looking at the photo of your rifle in the lead sled it certainly has the "show", and those targets prove that it also has the "go". Beautiful job. After the trials you have had with this one it must be very satisfying to have perservered and get those results.

BTW, what is the finish on the stock?

I have only one complaint, and I (and I assume many others here on the forum) sincerely hope that you can address it Rick - can we have a right side photo of the rifle out of the lead sled? I definately want to add one into my "album"!

Marcus

Tags: