Have I lost my mind?

Started by sakorick, August 05, 2009, 02:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This one's for Gitano. Please spare me the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune. New 22 inch Zastava light sporter barrel, Timney trigger, Mod 98 action, Fajen stock and commercial Brno bottom metal with floorplate release. She weighs in at 7 pounds 6 ounces without the 3-9-50 Zeiss scope in the ready. I did all the metal work and the stock fits like a glove. Who says you can't build a custom for 500 bucks!:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

That's a mighty fine rifle for $500, Rick.

Great work as usual!

I have a couple of questions as you might have guessed.

The first is in regard to "I did all the metal work..." I am assuming that's putting the barrel on the action, polishing the barrel and action, removing the charging hump, rebluing action, bluing barrel, and drilling an tapping the action for 'scope'. Correct? You did a great job of timing the "Cal .308" engraving with the action. (That's assuming you didn't do the engraving after-the fact.)

Second did the BRNO bottom metal with floorplate release come with the release installed? The reason I ask, is that the last one of those I looked at cost about $450 alone - meaning nothing but the floor-plate and trigger guard. It'd be kinda tough to get the rest of the stuff (barrel, action, stock) for $50.

I don't wanna be gauche, but it'd be nice to see how the costs broke down. I think it would be encouraging to those contemplating a custom build.

When ya gonna sight it in?

Glad to see you made such a wise choice on the chambering. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: sakorick;95325 Who says you can't build a custom for 500 bucks!:D

Maybe in the US my friend but down here we'd struggle to do the same for under $1,000.

excellent looking rifle in a great caliber. Congrats dude.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the question - "Have I lost my mind?"

Prolly...:sweetheart:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteI don't wanna be gauche, but it'd be nice to see how the costs broke down. I think it would be encouraging to those contemplating a custom build.
I second that, it would be real interesting to know. Nice looking piece my friend! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Okay guys......here's how I did it. You have to realize this took 3 years in the making. First, I bought a NIB commercial Brno factory 30'06 rifle with a plastic stock for $250 delivered with FFL fee(Gun Broker). Then I stripped the rifle and sold the stock on Epay for $100. Then I had my buddy remove the barrel and used it on my son's 30-'06 and had it Acklied for 50 bucks( I have the reamer). Then I waited for a barrel...it took about 6 months and a new Zastava 308 barrel came up on Epay and I bought it for 75 dollars. Then I sold the bolt for 125 dollars on Gun Broker after polishing and Jeweling the thing(didn't like the bolt handle). Then a sale came on Boyd's for Mauser Timney triggers with the side safety and the price break was 49 dollars for five triggers. I know it's starting to get complicated. I already had at that time 10 custom M98 bolts complete and forged by RR guns that I paid 75 dollars for each. I used the triggerguard and floorplate from the original Brno and matched it up with a very nice K98 German action that came from a bubba'd mauser.....another story. The original Brno action I am using on my 6.5-'06 Ackley.  Then I polished the works and had everything blued for 35 dollars. Then I waited for a stock and last week a guy was selling Fajen composite Mauser stocks for ....... sound the drums.......59 dollars delivered!!!!!! and, get this.... in F38 barrel contour!!!!!  I did not script the 308 on the barrel.....that's factory. My cousin's son in Minnesota is a Gander Mountain Gunsmith who trued the lugs and checked the headspace......no charge. I purchased 20 or so FN shrouds some 5 years ago for 30 bucks apiece. That's about the end of the story. I just love it when a vision comes together. I kept detailed records of this project and after doing all the adding and subtracting the bottom line is $434.

Now, we'll see if it shoots tomorrow:smiley: ......brass in the tumbler now. Regards, Rick.

OOps almost forgot.......Paul it was a commercial Brno action.....no hump, and it was factory drilled for scope mounts. I wasn't going to be pickey on the caliber, however, when the 308 barrel popped up for "free"......well, there it is.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;95343Outstanding!

Paul

Thanks! Over the years, I have found that polishing saves beaucoup dollars. My buddy fires up his tank about once a month. I get everything polished and just drop by when the fun starts.......He has zero manhours in bluing my stuff and sometimes he refuses payment!!! I purchased a used Rockwell polishing wheel about 5 years ago and it has paid for itself many many times over. I have 6 different grits and with #80 can saw a 1/4 inch steel rod in half in about 10 minutes. With 550 I can polish your wifes diamond ring and not remove a fraction of gold. Wear glasses!!!! :grin:
Regards, Rick.

22hornet

You never cease to amaze me Rick! Great rifle build.....if it shoots. ;)

I'll have to second what Jorge has said. Custom rifles here cost $$$$$.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

22hornet & Jorge,

You need to change your mindset just a bit...you are getting some great advice from, perhaps, a master at being a scrounger and someone who plans AHEAD (really without a certain purpose in mind).  Buy good deals when they present themselves, put them in a box for future reference, kinda-sorta-maybe remember where and  what they are....:huh:   Start early in life doing this like us "OLD GEEZERS", sakorick and myself.  (I can make this remark as I am older than sakorick and, therefore, have seniority.):sweetheart:
Buy good deals on wood chisels, small grinders, good accurate drill press and most importantly -- a Dremel tool.

What say you, sakorick...anything I left out????:sweatdrop:   Then when you have settled in somewhere..do like gitano did and get a Lathe and become semi-proficient with it.:COOLdude:

And ENJOY!:MOGRIN:

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:

PS.  Good job 'rick...you done yourself proud amigo!:antlers:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

sakorick

The rifle shot just fine. 45 gr IMR4064 (a known load) with a 150 gr Nosler BT, Federal Brass, Win Large Rifle primer. As far as I'm concerned, Federal brass is a handicap, however, I have 100 once fired cases so it seems a waste to buy more. The rounds "squeeked" when chambered so I going to have to knock the shoulder back a little more. The second handicap are the Lee dies I'm using......the seating die is nice but the resizer is close to worthless. I'm glad I switched to Redding....they are just so easy and smooth.

For the experts and those who think they know something.....I've got 2 issues. First, the dadgum floor release pops open on firing. Everything looks fine...there is a little spring that holds the release firm. It looks like the little nipple that catches under the release slot is too short.....Hellllllp meeeeeeee! Welding time?????

Issue number 2 is the twist of this rifle. I measured it 4 times and came up with one in 11 1/2. I have never heard of this particular application but it has a 22 inch barrel so what's the deal with this strange twist rate.

Here is the first group......not bad......rifle is soaking in Wipe out for day two. I didn't run it through the chroney but estimate 2850'/sec.

For Llanojohn......you need 2 dremel tools....one to use and one to find!:grin: :grin: :grin: Regards, Rick.

TackyDriver

I am not worthy! :bowdown: Right now, I am cleaning out a garage and workshop filled with "I might need that some day" things. What I like about gun tinkering (not gun smithing) as a hobby is that at least "future" parts don't take up as much room. Is yours a dedicated polishing rig or is it a converted bench grinder?
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

sakorick

Quote from: TackyDriver;95378I am not worthy! :bowdown: Right now, I am cleaning out a garage and workshop filled with "I might need that some day" things. What I like about gun tinkering (not gun smithing) as a hobby is that at least "future" parts don't take up as much room. Is yours a dedicated polishing rig or is it a converted bench grinder?

Hello TD....it's a dedicated polishing rig......nothing else will do. Baldor and Rockwell makes/made the good ones. Check Epay and you might get lucky.....I found mine for $165 and it will last forever. The Bador is the Cadillac and the old Rockwell is just about as good. I use mine for a myriad of things......anything that needs polishing. Don't buy a cheap wheel.......they must have the HP to spin two 7 inch wheels. Brownells has all the compound. Regards, Rick.

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: LLANOJOHN;9535422hornet & Jorge,

You need to change your mindset just a bit...you are getting some great advice from, perhaps, a master at being a scrounger and someone who plans AHEAD (really without a certain purpose in mind). Buy good deals when they present themselves, put them in a box for future reference, kinda-sorta-maybe remember where and what they are....:huh: Start early in life doing this like us "OLD GEEZERS", sakorick and myself. (I can make this remark as I am older than sakorick and, therefore, have seniority.):sweetheart:
Buy good deals on wood chisels, small grinders, good accurate drill press and most importantly -- a Dremel tool.

What say you, sakorick...anything I left out????:sweatdrop: Then when you have settled in somewhere..do like gitano did and get a Lathe and become semi-proficient with it.:COOLdude:

And ENJOY!:MOGRIN:

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:

PS. Good job 'rick...you done yourself proud amigo!:antlers:

Great bit of advice John, I will take that on board. Trying to get my father's industrial drill press (but it has to come 1,800km up to where I am) and I have to get a new work bench so I can get a bench grinder/polisher. The lathe will have to wait, but I already have a dremel and I want to take a welding course for MIG/TIG welding.

Great thread Rick.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

I've been thinking about Llanojohn's wonderful comments and have some additional points to address. I started collecting Mauser parts about 7 years ago when the gettin' was good. But today the gettin' will be good 20 years from now! I picked the Mod98 Mauser for several reasons.....I like the strength, action, extractor and the standard box can take up to 30-'06 length shells for the most part. Parts are cheap and still available at gunshows, Numrich and Sarco and of course Epay. Save for the action, there are hundreds of Mauser models that were manufactured for some 70 countries and most of the parts are interchangeable. The bolts and components, floorplate, triggerguard assembly....are all standard dimension. That means there are zillions of serviceable parts out there. All the modern rifles such as FN, old Sakos, Parker Hales, Midland, Zastava, Brno, Mauser works and a host of others are nothing more than gussied up Mod98 Mausers parts that are available from Brownells and others. The bolts are strong and simple so overall they set the table for building your own rifle. I have built rifles on the Mod95, 96 and 98 action and they just work. As for barrels, IMHO, the A&B barrels found everywhere for under 100 bucks are terrific. Most basic gunsmithing ain't rocket science but for the technical stuff like reaming a barreled action and truing bolts....I ship out. Finally, if I can do it you can too and probably better. This is a fun hobby that you can have fun with for a lifetime. Even the senoir golfers have to quit sometime.....Jack Nicklaus comes to mind. I just read where an 86 year old disabled veteran just took his first Turkey in Missouri:MOGRIN: ......think about it. Regards, Rick.

Tags: