Come sit on the porch

Started by Oldtimer, January 01, 2005, 03:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldtimer

Hi to everyone,

Pull up a chair and sit a while, you don't have to talk much, it's just nice to share the porch with new freinds.  If you want to talk about blackpowder hunting or shooting, I'm all ears, might even have something to add you ain't heard yet.
Legends die when dreams end
When dreams end there is no more greatness.

Oldtimer

Kit

Quote from: OldtimerHi to everyone,

Pull up a chair and sit a while, you don't have to talk much, it's just nice to share the porch with new freinds. If you want to talk about blackpowder hunting or shooting, I'm all ears, might even have something to add you ain't heard yet.
Welcome!

You guys crack me up!  62 isn't OLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year - blessings
 ~Kit

RatherBHuntin

Aint nothin finer than sittin on the porch with old friends is there?  Some of my best memories of home, family and friends are sittin on the porch watching the sun rise or set.  Talkin of old times and new times, with a cup of coffee or iced tea, depending on the weather.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

mole

Real nice place you have here,I have a lot of fond memories of the old front porch. The sun is going down and its starting to get a little cold. Catch you later,and thanks.

drinksgin (deceased)

In Texas, the front porch always faces South, for obvious reasons, if you are from the Southwest. The Texas Republic style house had a fire place on the west and east end, and a full veranda with roof on both the north and south sides, often with a dog walk , north to south , in the middle.
The 19th century equivalent of ch&a/c.
Don      ;)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Oldtimer

Thanks for coming Mole, The crisp air makes you lungs feel young. Always hate to see friends leave but understand.

Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Hi Drinksgin,

Sounds nice.  Old houses here generally face Northwest.  A long center hall catches the wind and blowes the heat out the back hall door.  I went hunting in the 70's in the mountains of Va. We stayed in an old mountain cabin with a front porch that the bottom of the porch was boarded in with some openings left between the slats.  At one end was a small door the the dogs were let in and out .  17 & 18th centry alarm system for intruders and bears.  

Happy New Year

Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Kit,

It's not the years it's the miles.  Change your oil every 2000, don't run back roads.  Maby we should get up with drinksgin, sounds like he has a plan.

Oldtimer

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Oldtimer--a good welcome to y'all!

QuotePull up a chair and set awhile.
Glad you found us and I will willingly pull up a chair as I am a firm believer in "porch settin'!"

Speakin' of porchs and such...I had a distant cousin who was captured by the Apaches back during the 1870's........he was fortunate for a young feller of about 8 years that about 2 weeks after his abduction, the band of Apaches that captured him got chased by the Texas Rangers and the indians horse started slowing up due to the extra weight and the brave he was ridin' behind threw him off. His older brother was not so lucky as he spent the next 9 years among the Indians before he was returned to civilization(?).

Now to get to it about the porch, it is my understanding from his daughter that her dad & mom never slept indoors...their bed was on the porch and thats where they slept in hot weather, rain/sleet/cold- you know them "blue northers" .........no matter what the weather. He became a successful rancher in Mason County, Texas and lived into his 80's. Folks was 'tough' back then!

Thought you might enjoy that little bit of Texas/Family history as we set here on the porch with our coffee, or tea, or what-ever! Y'all take care now.

Ol' John...:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Antler3

Thanks oldtimer, yea, spent alot of time on the front porch...reminds me of family and friends also. Not to many places better than the old front porch sittin and spittin and tellin' tall tales ...had alot of good laughs sittin on the front porch. And rocked alot of lil' ones to sleep in the old swing. Snapped alot of green beans sittin' on the front porch...just a whole lot of memories tied to the ol' front porch, thanks for sharing the porch :)
ANTLER 3

Kit

Quote from: RatherBHuntinAint nothin finer than sittin on the porch with old friends is there? Some of my best memories of home, family and friends are sittin on the porch watching the sun rise or set. Talkin of old times and new times, with a cup of coffee or iced tea, depending on the weather.
Actually, the group of Christian Homeschool parents which I helped to moderate for quite a while, calls their website "The Porch Swing" too.

No wonder I feel at home here...

Glad to have ya - Oldtimer - were you part of the  'old' forum (rounds 1 or 2) or did you just find this for the first time?

Blessings
  ~Kit

Oldtimer

Ol'John and Antler3,

Thanks for coming by, I love a good story about times and men of the past.  Antler3, snap beans werent to bad , it was those small butter beans that gave me a fit. Mom always liked them about the size of your little finger nail.

Remember the whippoorwill on a Summer night? I would try to count the number of time they would hollow.  Most times I went to sleep before the finished.

Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Ol'john & Antler3,

John, I love a good story about old times and the men that were men.  Antler, I didn't mind the snap beans to bad, it was those small buter beans that gave me a fit.

Remember the whipoorwill? I use to sleep on the back porch in the Summer and would count the number of time the would go without stoping.  Should say try to count, would go to sleep most of the time before he would finish.

Thanks for coming buy, I'll save your chair.

Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Kit,

My comp went down so I sent the last message twice.  

I just found the site about a week ago.  I am a flintlock shooter and started on the hunting sites. I came to the home page after a few days just tolook around. I thought a find way to meet people was to sit on the porch and visit for awhile, so I'll just sit and chat with everwho comes by.  Always room for a freind.

Thanks for the visit

Oldtimer

drinksgin (deceased)

John;

That might work in Mason Co.,but in the SE third of Texas, 6 months of warm and WET weather would leave you looking like a mummy after the buffalo gnats, deer flies ,horse flies and mosquitoes got through dining on your carcass, not to mention the fleas, ticks and chiggers!
It took a real thickskinned bunch to make it back then.
Don  :D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: