P-H Scope Mount Bases

Started by muzza9999, June 19, 2009, 11:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzza9999

Gents - been a reader here for a while and consider you to be the right group to pose this question.

How does one remove the P-H alloy scope bases with the dimple for the recoil lug ? There doesnt appear to be any screw attachments - are they actually steel and sweated to the receiver ?

Rifle in question is a Super Safari.

sakorick

How about a picture? All the Supers I've seen are drilled and tapped for FN style Mauser bases. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

muzza9999

Thanks Rick.

This rifle has the wider dovetail bases with the single dimple in the middle for the P-H recoil lug rings. Unfortunatley the ring selection to suit these bases is awfull so they gotta go.

I need to know if the bases are sweated on or d&t'ed somehow that I havent noticed. If it comes to the worst I will mill the bases off but I'm sure there is a simple way of removing them.....

Post a Pic ??? Jeez , just managing to post on here is a mission on its own - a pic - I suspect not......

Never owned a sako - do they make mausers ? - have owned a 1948 Model M John Deere...

sakorick

I really can't help you without knowing exactly what you have. If some sort of base was sweated on, it wasn't done by the factory as The Safari was drilled and tapped for FN style bases at the factory. Sounds like a trip to the gunsmith to me. If they were sweated on they can be sweated off.....however, you may end up having to reblue the rifle. I would not dare attempt milling off those bases. Are the one piece or two piece bases?

The Mod46 Sako was the first sporter and built based on the Mauser action. Over the years they have evolved to what they are today.....fancy extractors, shrouds, bolt bodies and lug modifications......no longer a Mauser. Regards, Rick.

muzza9999

Ok - if this works there will be pics of the mount bases to view.

I was wrong on my Model ID also - its a Safari De Luxe , as is the rifle that the second set of mount bases came from.

First pic shows the front mount with the single "dimple" for the recoil lug on the ring to fit into. In the bottom of this dimple is what may be an allen head type set screw???

Second pic shows the other , standard spacing front mount off the other Safari De Luxe rifle.

Third pic shows both both bases with the differance in size and nature being obvious . The front one is steel , the attached mount is alloy. Attached mount dovetail size is .778" , the other is .650".

Any thoughts before I resort to heavy machinery to remove the bases?

sakorick

Yep, I have many thoughts. IMHO, those are not factory mounts and I have never seen anything like them. You need a gunsmith as I am clueless and never seen a lash-up like that in my life. Sorry I couldn't help and regards, Rick.

muzza9999

Thanks Rick.

I think they are factory bases , I have seen quite a few P-H rifles here wearing those bases and they fir the alloy P-H rings with the dimple on them so they appear to be the genuine item.

Hopefully someone else may have some ideas too .

sakorick

That's good......I've never seen them. If they are original, I would tend to leave them that way. I never knew that PH made special bases and rings to fit them......perhaps it was a test market item???? They were in stiff competition with Sako who had their own one piece bases/rings. Keep us posted on your progress. Regards, Rick.

gitano

Those appear to me to be sweated on.

I agree with Rick that "if they were sweated on, they can be sweated off", but you'll likely have to reblue or otherwise refinish.

I would be inclined to mill them to allow the use of Weaver rings. That modification wouldn't eliminate or prevent the use of the original PH rings. As far as I can tell from the pictures, all that would be required is millling the appropriate cross-slot.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

muzza9999

Thanks guys

Milling a recoil-lug slot is an option - although Weaver-type rings are pretty ugly to my eye...

So much to ponder ...

shinz

Not sure about the base on the barrel but the one on the front receiver ring sure looks like a genuine PH base with the narrow grooves in it, also not unlike a BSA dovetail to look at. Having said that. I've only ever seen them in alloy, steel would have been much better as the hole for the recoil stud tended to elongate with any sort of recoiler on the alloy bases unless the rings were kept uber tight. I don't think they would mill for weaver rings very well, the PH dovetail lacks the top shoulder that the Weavers have & as most of the recoil groove is in this area there would be little purchase left. I'll measure some tomorrow, too cold in the basement tonight, & get some measurements. This dovetail is the same as CZ550 & brno 600 series rifles have, though the recoil set up is different, so that might be an option.
Steve

sakorick

This is just a WAG and nothing more, however, your rifle with those bases is unlike any PH I've ever seen. What was the year of manufacture? Perhaps they were made like that for other than US export? I am not particularily fond of Weaver style mounts/rings, however, they do work and it seems a viable option to mill the bases that are on the rifle.

Does you rifle look anything like this one? Regards, Rick.

muzza9999

Steve - thanks for the information.

The smaller , BRNO size dovetail is  definately steel - I removed it from my project rifle prior to rebarrelling it to 35 Whelen and fitting a  one-piece Leupold base. That base was shown to compare the difference in diamension between the alloy ones fixed to my 8mm-06 receiver  and that smaller , original P-H base.

The  wider base will accept the  alloy P-H bases with the dimple recoil lug but the choice of rings is so limited here - with that P-H recoil dimple gizmo - that they really arent much of an option. If I was using the smaller base set I could use Tikka rings , of which I have a suitable set.

Life is a challenge... but we can swap notes on the 25th over a beer anyway .......

sakorick -

My rifle does look somewhat like that  , not as pretty tho.

It carries the number AF 107 S on the left front receiver ring if that is of any help , under a Birmingham Proof BNP crown mark. The barrel is a stepped military 8mm rechambered to 8mm-06 and carries no identifying marks of note.

I will get to the bottom of this situation , persistance is one of my attributes so it wont beat me ...

shinz

So you're that Muzza, should,ve known.;) 3 weeks & counting huh, looking forward to that beer, should have enough of those tokens & frantically trying to accumulate brownie points, they just seem to evaporate so fast.:laugh:
As to the smaller dovetail, if I've got it right, there were two sizes (at least) in Brnos, about 14mm internal in Foxes & maybe their 22s & about 3mm bigger in PH/ BSA which I think is the same as the ZKK 600/CZ550s.  Plenty of rings for that size including QD, but you're back to recoil lugs again, maybe some small pins on the front base ?
Steve.

Tags: