Varmint Scope?

Started by Brasco20, June 07, 2009, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brasco20

I have a remington model 700 in .243   It was my first deer rifle when i was a kid.  I haven't used it very much since i moved on to bigger and better things.  I want to start doing some varmint hunting and am wondering what kind of scope to put on it, probably between $200 and $300.  Im a big fan of leupold but it seems that for high power  they are alot of money.  Also whenever i see a varmint scope they look extremely long.  Is that a sun shade and do those help for varmint hunting?  

Thanks for any suggestions

Daryl (deceased)

G'mornin Brasco,

I guess my first question is "what kind of varmint shooting?"

For p-dogs and such at longer ranges, a higher powered scope is mighty nice.

But for shooting called-in coyotes at close range, the same scope becomes more of a problem than a help.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the higher powered scopes. I use mostly 2-7 or 3-9 Leupolds, and they serve me pretty well.

I've used higher powered scopes though; I had a 3.5-10 VXIII on a .223 once, and a 4-12 VXII on a 7mm mag. The eye relief, to me, gets harder to deal with at those powers, and I avoid them for my own uses.

I made a shot on a coues deer down in Mexico a few years back with a 6-24x Burris scope. The deer was at 472 yards, and I couldn't seem to figure out what I was looking at on 24x. I turned it down 'till I was comfortable enough to shoot, and it ended up on 15x.

All that said, I know the high powered scopes have their place. From a bench, or solid improvised rest at more or less stationary targets, they can make a big difference.

In the end, it all depends on your needs and desires.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Brasco20

Probably be mostly p dog hunting.   I wasnt sure if there was a certain type of scope that people use for that type of hunting.  Ive see a few scopes on cabelas that are labeled varmint scopes, none of which were leupold.   I have a 3-9 vxI and a 4-14 vx3L  and i love them both.  If i could put a vx3L on every rifle i own, it would be nice,  but at 1100 bucks a pop its wishful thinking on my part.  I would be happy with a 3-12 vxI.  I guess im just wondering if the scopes labeled varmint scopes have anything that a regular scope doesnt.
Thanks

davidlt89

Quotei've see a few scopes on cabelas that are labeled varmint scopes
QuoteI guess im just wondering if the scopes labeled varmint scopes have anything that a regular scope doesnt.
the only difference I have noticed about the scopes labeled "varmint scopes" is that they usually have range compensating reticles. these seem to becoming pretty popular now. There are other scopes out there that have the same type of reticles out there, like the Burris ballistic plex and others, but are not called "varmint scopes. Some brands have just stuck these range compensating reticles in the scope, jacked up the price, and called it a "varmint scope", like the Nikon coyote hunter. Personally, I don't like the range compensating reticles, at least for what I do. I owned a burris with the ballitixc reticle and used the 300 hash mark on an 80 yd shot. I "assume" I shot over the deer. However, we do have a member on here that loves that reticle and uses it to its full potential. It all depends on you. As far as power, I am with Daryl. I find 10x to be more than adequate for what I do, but I am not shooting at prairie dogs 350 yards away either.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brasco20

Thanks for the help guys

Brasco

Paul Hoskins

For "normal" varmint hunting a 15 power is about all one can handle in the field unless they have a bench set up. I used a 15X Litschert or Unertl for many years for groundhog work out to 400 yards. I always used shooting sticks while sitting on the ground. Never had much trouble hitting a groundhog's head out to 400 yards using that setup.     .........Paul H

Brasco20

A friend gave me a cabelas alaskan guide 3-12 x 50  and has a 30mm tube.  It didnt have good enough eye relief for his heavy magnum rifle, and he was getting scoped in the eye.  So, he thought it might work good on the low recoil of my .243

What do you guys think,  have any of you used this scope?  Any idea who makes cabelas scopes?

Brasco

Tags: