"a rifle behind every blade of grass"

Started by gitano, May 09, 2009, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

The truth is ALWAYS best... regardless of the "purity" of the cause.

Due to the most recent presidential election, there is a great deal of increased rhetoric about gun laws and ownership. Among the many quotes I see, is one attributed to Isoroku Yamamoto - The Fleet Admiral that master-minded most of the Japan's naval miltary strategy during WWII, and the one that planned and executed the attack on Pearl Harbour. The quote, in its various forms, goes something like this:

QuoteJapan would never invade the United States. We would find a rifle behind every blade of grass.

This alleged quote has a variety of similar versions, but all contain the "rifle behind every blade of grass" phrase and the "never invade the United States" phrase. The quote, in its various forms, is used by proponents of gun-ownership to illustrate the value of the 2nd Ammendment in deterring foreign invasion. Sounds good, but unfortunately, it is extremely unlikely that Yamamoto every said anything of the sort IN THE CONTEXT OF WHY THE JAPANESE DIDN'T INVADE MAINLAND US. (The only reason I don't say impossible is because I did not know Yamamoto personally or any one that claims to have known him.)

There is some poorly documented evidence that Yamamoto, in an alleged interview with a small New England newspaper, when asked if the Japanese intended to invade the US responded with the "blade of grass" quote. HOWEVER, if it even did happen, it was not in the context of American gun ownership and the 2nd Ammendment. It was instead in the context of the extraordinary logistical challenge invading the US would have been for Japan. They would have had to cross two mountain ranges, a desert and have a supply line over 3000 miles long. In that context, there would be a rifle "behind every blade of grass", as there would be in ANY nation so occupied.

How do I know this? Because Yamamoto actually DID discuss the invasion of the US IN THIS SPECIFIC CONTEXT on several occasions, and those conversations are well documented. By the way, Yamamoto was trained at Harvard, and knew the United States VERY well.

Anyway, my point is, it doesn't matter how "noble" one's cause is, a lie, or as it is politically correctly put today - "spinning it" - so that some phrase or event serves one's purposes, does, in the end, more harm than good.

A lie is a lie, no matter how you dress it up, and at least for me, telling a lie for a "good cause" makes the person doing it a liar, and in the end truly does more harm than good.

The 2nd Ammendment was written for the specific purpose of providing The People with the means to defend themselves FROM THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT. ANYthing else, is at best, supposition.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

rockinbbar

The need for said protection from our own govt. is nearly at hand. I can smell it. ;)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Barry, I'd have to agree with that statement, as much as I hate to.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

buffalo bob

are there enough honerable citizens to perform the task.  too many sheep who want the government to keep giving handouts.  they dont even realize they and their children will be footing the bill.

bowhunter 51

Good point, Paul..........great write-up.........I've always been something
of a history buff....particularly concerning WWII...makes one contemplate
the accuracy and motives of the media, then, as compared to now....I'm
forever trying to read between the lines....forming my own conclusions...
I don't know what the future holds for gun-owners, but I'm certainly glad
to have had the privilege in my past....I'm sure our History books are full
of inaccuracy....yet...I can't help but believe the fact that strong gun
ownership has kept the wolves at bay......let us hope and pray it continues
to do so for many years to come..............................................................BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

QuoteI can't help but believe the fact that strong gun
ownership has kept the wolves at bay

I certainly agree, BH. And in fact, I think it is more true today than it has ever been. I just believe strongly that there is no need for "embellishment" of the truth. The truth is far more powderful than "Madison Avenue" would have us believe.

Paul[/SIZE][/FONT]
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: