An Irish Lassie!

Started by sakorick, March 31, 2009, 06:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

One of the last of the mighty Enfield bolt action rifles was built by Fazakerley back in the mid 50's for the Irish....they ordered 49,999 of them. For whatever reason they were never shipped to Ireland and were stored as war reserves/issued as training rifles. I have a friend who I trade guns with on occasion who was looking for a war time Long Branch and offered the unissued Faz in trade. When it arrived I was shocked when I read the serial number....PF320744. The range of serial numbers for the Irish contract rifles was 309348 to 359347. These don't turn up often. I present the Irish lassie and a beauty she is indeed!:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

What a nice piece! :biggthumpup:

I'd even be tempted by that one. ;)
Congratulating you on milsurp aquisitions is getting old, Rick.:nana:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Ditto what Paul said. To both things!

How you fall in to all those deals is beyond me.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

22hornet

We had some of these Irish rifles come to OZ about 15(?) years ago. They were being sold off quite cheaply. I didn't have the foresight to buy one. Wish I had now though.
Great find.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;91419We had some of these Irish rifles come to OZ about 15(?) years ago. They were being sold off quite cheaply. I didn't have the foresight to buy one. Wish I had now though.
Great find.

That's about the time they showed up here. At the time they were selling for 150 to 200 dollars. I wished I would have bought them all! They have great collector appeal and it really doesn't make any sense as they were never used by Ireland....they are just referred to as "Irish Contract rifles". It's never ceases to amaze me what becomes rare and collectible vs what is not desired. What comes to mind are the beautiful M24/47's that Sarco is selling for $175 bucks. These rifles are superior to any other Mauser in fit, finish, bore condition and beautiful wood. Take this one for example........regards, Rick.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

sakorick,

I am with you on the Yugo's...I have 2 of the Model 24's and they are superb!..:COOLdude:

BTW, great find on the "Irish Lassie"...I am not particulary fond of shooting any of the SMLE's as the stock design is a real "punisher", IMHO.  :huh:  But I wouldn't mind have one or two in the collection....back in the late 50's, you could pick up the no. 5's, "jungle carbine" for about $40 if memory serves me correctly.  It was a real "ouch" upon pulling the trigger!

Regards,

Ol' John:Banghead: :sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

I'll add my voice to the praise of the 24/47, and add that the M-48 ranks right there with it in my opinion. Get 'em now folks, or in 20 years you'll be saying;

QuoteAt the time they were selling for 150 to 200 dollars. I wished I would have bought them all!

Paul

PS - Nice upholstery, by the way! ;)
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Are you listening out there? Where can you purchase a high power accurate rifle in excellent condition for 175 dollars? When these things dry up, I reckon the secondary market will double these rifles in less than 5 years.....and that nay be conservative. As a side bar, the first 50,000 M24's were made by FN......and they are popping up in the batch currently being sold by the importers. Make sure you purchase one that is SN matching to the action, bolt and stock and always chose the hand select option if offered for 10 dollars. You will get a beautiful bore. The current batch looks like the Serbs saved their best rifles in war reserve and look unissued. There I've vented. Regards, Rick.

Tags: