"end of the squirrel season"

Started by buckshot roberts, March 02, 2009, 06:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:(  Well squirrel season has finqlly came to an end, and with a sadness I hated to see it go. I've been hunting squirrels since I was a kid, My first hunt escapes my memory over the past 40 years, but I remember the exeitemnt of going out into the woods looking for squirrel signs, and bringing them home and having mom fixing them for dinner.:food04:
:bowdown:  It started out as fun after school.Then it became very much a part of my life.
:grin:  It's been a enjoyment  I've looked forword to over the years, I've never lost an instrest in squirrel hunting.  
:biggthumpup: It's welcome challenge to any hunter. Buckshot
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

22hornet

The thing I find about hunting is its not the biggest quarry that is the most rewarding. Its the stuff that you cut your teeth on that keeps bringing you back. And thats the stuff to teach the younger ones on too.

There is always next season.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Dogwood Charlie

I sympathize with you. Our season closed Jan. 31. :( Opens again May 15.  :happy:

If you can consistently sneak up on squirrels, you can still-hunt other game, as well. It's a good way to keep those "woods legs" in practice. Besides, hunting squirrels is a great sport in itsself. I've killed bushytails with shotguns, .22 rifles, .22 pistol, .38 revolver, bow and arrow, .32 cal. muzzleloader, .54 cal. ML (not a pretty result, even with half a charge of powder) ... Oh yeah, and I almost forgot: hand-thrown rock.  :D  Actually, it was the broken corner of a brickbat (that's "brick" to most of you, I reckon). I'm sure some of you have shot them with slingshots.

There's nothing more relaxing than creeping through the woods, trying to get a good clean shot at a gray, unless it's sitting under a hickorynut (that's probably "hickory" to most of you) tree, waiting for game to show up.

bowhunter 51

I remember my first squirrel...couldn't have been much more than 6 or 7.
It was the 1st time I'd fired a shotgun, .410" single shot....my Dad and I
sitt'n in the hard woods, my Dad back again'st a tree...I remember my
Dad had done scolded me a couple of times for step'n on sticks & making
too much noise...Any whoo....here come an ole fox squirrel, Daddy done
pointed him out to me, coming right for us...He'd done got within 20 yrds
and hesitated on an open limb...We'd done positioned ourselves at the
hickory tree he was headed..like I said..I was seated, and had never shot
nothing but pellet rifle up till then...Bang!...little shotgun knocked me
flat on my back...Daddy laughed...I looked up,"did I git'em?" "Yep, you
got'em, son!" he laughed...It was a big perty red-orange fox squirrel..I
remember it like yesterday....Here's the last squirrel I took for the
season, just the other day...fried him up with taters & gravey.........Spring
season opens in May thru June...Fall season, late Aug...limit 10.....BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Dogwood Charlie

The first (and only) time Dad ever took me huntin was in the swamp in the Mississippi Delta just West of Yazoo City, Miss. when I was maybe 10. He set me by a tree 'mongst the palmettos and left me there while he went to find a spot for himself. I didn't see any squirrels, but I was afraid to get up and go find him 'cause he'd get onto me. Then, after what seemed like hours,I heard him shoot, and thought it was safe to go see if he got anything. I went toward the shot, and when I saw him, he was holding his handkerchief over his nose, and had blood all down his shirt front. Scared me spitless! :eek:

Turns out he fell asleep, and a fox squirrel woke him up dropping hick'ry-nut hulls on his head. He raised up his old 12 ga. and shot straight up. That old gun busted his nose, and he had to step aside to keep the squirrel from landing on his head. If it'd been anyone but Booger Red (meanest man that ever lived), I'd have laughed myself to tears. :D

buckshot roberts

I never used a .22 all that much but this fall i'm going to put a scope on my little davey crickett.
 I like using the .410 in the early part of the season.
It's always been a .12ga over the years hunting squirrel's.
I just accepted the mule-like kick, grit my teeth,closed my eyes,and hang on when I pulled the trigger, on some of those old heavy .12 ga's when I was very young.................Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

JaDub

Oh yeah,   I feel the pain.     I grew up shooting a 12 guage Winchester model 97.........with NO recoil pad.   OUCH !!      I used it for everything from ducks to snipe to quail to  squirrels.   Ever try hitting a fleeting  snipe with a long barrel , full choke ???    It did teach me to be a pretty good eye but the recoil  HURT.   8-)     As to the squirrels..........    they didn`t have a chance.........  heh, heh, heh.   :grin:

I still have the 97 and still have a very heavy respect to the action vs the trigger.............   course now that I`m older and wiser I don`t want to shoot it anymore.   I just looks good on the mantle.    :nana:

Tags: