Straight-walled, Rimmed Cases...

Started by gitano, January 16, 2009, 09:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

...that I have on hand.

Since my foray a few years back into the realm of black powder cartridges, I have developed an affinity for straight-walled, rimmed cartridges. Yesterday, while looking at the amazing 9.3x72R cases I got for the Franz Sodia Cape Gun, I began to wonder about all the cartridges I  load for that have straight walls and rims. When I assembled all of them, it was quite a collection.

I don't own firearms for all of these, but certainly most. Of those of immediate relevance that are missing from the pictures are the .25-21 Stevens, the .25-25 Stevens, the .357 Remington Max, the .32 Honest (made from the .357 Max), and the .222 Rimmed.

Here are the shotgun shell-based cartridges:

Here are the centerfire rifle cartridges:

Here are the rimfire cartridges:

Here are the handgun cartridges:

The .45 Austrian is a Wildcat with a .451" caliber bullet on a shortened 8x56R case.

And here's the bunch:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Thanks Paul! It's like going to a museum for free. Great post....certain to be a THL classic.:biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Mebe so Rick.

As soon as I stepped out of the 'fast lane', a whole new landscape opened up. One that's a bit slower and a bit more 'focused'. Plus, I gotta tell ya, if you like to 'whack 'em', there's nothing like slinging a 500-grain chunck of lead down range and hearing the whack when it hits and seeing the 'feathers fly'.

I was absolutely amazed the first time I shot the .50 Alaskan when others at the range were shooting big 'magnums' (.300s, .338s, and on up), on either side of me. They certainly threw rocks around a bit, but when that .50 hit the berm, it was an entirely different effect. BIG rocks flew. LOTSA dirt went up in the air. It's just cool. Add to that that it is easy on the shoulder and the ears, and what's not to love. Ask RecoilJunky about it. It's just cool.

I'd love to have an afternoon with a bunch of us ol' codgers sitting around telling sea stories and liesurely shooting these big, friendly, slow leadslingers. It's just too much fun.

I wasn't going to buy the .25-21s and .25-25s because they are $3 a piece, but at Buffalo Arms, I can buy them one-at-a-time, :2thumbsup: and at that price, I can get them for my "collection". Now I'll hafta start collecting the really obscure ones.

What I didn't include were my rimmed bottle-neck cases like the .303 British, .30-30 Winchester, .30-40 Krag, .348 Win.

On that note, let me make sure to invite anyone and everyone to post pictures of their straight-walled, rimmed cases in this thread. I s'pose I (or somebody) should start a thread on bottle-necked rimmed cartridges. :) Considering the Aussies, Kiwis, Cannucks, (whaduya call South Africans?), Limies, Scotties, and Micks here at THL, we aughta be able to cover the bases. I wouldn't even consider trying to list or post pictures of all of the rimless bottle-necked cases. OY!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

How about a 10 gauge brass case? Maybe a 50/70 Gov't. or 45/120/3.25 Win./Sharps? .........Paul H

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Those are cool Paul. There's no 38-55 though. That's my next purchase if I can find a Marlin like my 45-70. Even thought of the H&R, but I'd rather have a leaver gun for some reason.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;88789Considering the Aussies, Kiwis, Cannucks, (whaduya call South Africans?), Limies, Scotties, and Micks here at THL,
Paul

Springboks!:)

I don't have any straight walled cartridges not already listed but how about this one?

http://centuryarms.com.au/pics/4bore1.jpg

You are right Paul, there is nothing like sending a huge chunk of lead down range. Size and weight counts.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Paul Hoskins

Absolutely beautiful gun, Hornet but it's a shame it's not a 260 Rem. AI or something like that.   .......You have a cruel streak don't you? I love nice break actions like this.    ............Paul H

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;88805There's no 38-55 though.RJ
Actually RJ, there's a lot missing. If you've got a .38-55 case, post a picture of it. There's also the popular .40-65, but that's got a bit of a neck on it to call it a straight wall.

22Hornet - That's a beaut for sure.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LvrLover

This gives me an idea. If I take a 12 or 20 gauge brass case and make a bullet that fits it and crimp it on like a rifle round and then make a barrel and chamber to match would that be a rifle or a shotgun? Better yet, find the dimensions on an already rifled barrel and make the bullet to fit the rifling and the case to fit the chamber length. Could I legally use it in a shotgun only area? Is it even possible? The insane wanderings of a lunatic mind...
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

gitano

You've just stumbled on to a very interesting and real legal issue facing many "shotgun only" states. The advancement of shotgun slug, and slug barrel technology has essentially rendered the modern "deer" shotgun, a rifle. How one can call a firearm that shoots a slug from a rifled barrel a "shotgun" is beyond me, BUT, it "works" for those folks hunting in "Shotgun only" states, so no one is making much noise about it.

By the way, you wouldn't NEED a brass case to do what you want.

Gofer it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I've been looking for a barrel with groove diameter of .625 for several years to make a 28 ga. shotgun/rifle. It wouldn't need to be made of "ordinance' steel for what I want to do. I found one barrel at Friendship last fall but it had a 1-90 inch twist and the price was much more than I wanted to pay.    ............Paul H

recoil junky

Paul, we're supposed to get a "card reader" any day now so I can downoad all the pictures off the camera. As soon as it shows up and someone shows me how to use it I'll post one of the 38-55. I happen to have a box of "Peters" :biggthumpup: Kleanbore. Don't know where they came from as they were in a box of goodies I inherited from Dad.

When we were in Dever (ptooey) taking PFC RJ Jr back to the airport we stopped in at the Bass pro shop and looked at what there was. A really neat place as Hunterbug can probably attest. They had a custom 600 Nitro Express (looked to be on a Ruger#1) that was all decked out, $38,000!!!!!!!! with a box of 10 shells!!!! As I recall, another ten shells were in the $100 dollar range. Oofdah!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Alright RJ... movin' right into the 'digital age' at virtual lightspeed.:kiss:

Lookin' forward to those pics.

Only $38k?:huh: :rolleyes::stop::no:

I'll take two, and two cases of ammo too.

Some people's kids.    

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Ever since I "dropped the camera the last time elk hunting it hasn't wanted to down load.  :o OK??! SO BACK OFF!!! :D

RJ

Tags: