An odd little Stevens Favorite

Started by gitano, January 08, 2009, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

As some of you know, I am partial to falling/swinging/tilting single shot rifles. Recently I found this little Steven advertised on Auction Arms and used the Buy It Now option to snap it up. It is chambered in "32 Long", which is a rimfire cartridge.

I had intended to modify the breechblock so I could shoot centerfire ammo, but when I got it - day before yesterday - I found a previous owner had saved me the trouble. You can see from the pictures that it has no buttstock. I'll buy or fabricate one. Some parts of the rifle are pretty ragged - like the tangs and hammer - but the receiver and barrel are almost "pristine", both have a very nice plum patina.

I was also considering rebarreling to something in .25 caliber. I have a 20" piece of .257 barrel left over from a .25 ACP conversion I made for my 1911-A1. I was thinking I might profile it appropriately and chamber in 25-20 Single Shot. When I brought this up at another firearms forum, one dedicated to single shot rifles, I got pretty soundly "boo'd". Of course for some of them, civilization as we know it would end if I had the stupidity to fire a centerfire cartridge from such a "weak" action.

Now that I have it in my hand, the "concern" by the "experts", as it almost always is, is complete baldersash. The Model 1915 Steven Favorite is a fairly hefty little arm. I am certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that it can handle AT LEAST 25,000 PSI, and I wouldn't be surpised if it turned out to handle 40k. I wouldn't try anything like that - I don't like to beat old guns up - but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it could 'handle the load'. The SAAMI max for the .25-20 SS is 28k PSI. I can get a 60-grain Hornady doing 2300 f/s at 20,000 PSI, so it highly unlikely that I'd ever put it above 20K.

So... now my intent is to keep the original barrel original, and use the A&B .257 barrel for a more 'substantial' cartridge.

You can have a look at it here :http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/paulskvorc/Stevens/?start=0

Paul

Here's what the .25-20 SS looks like:
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

So you're going to convert it to a 25-20? That would be cool for small game or lynx or just to plink with.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

22hornet

I have a new Stevens favourite in .22LR. I bought it for my daughter and its a great little rimfire. I use my, sorry, her favourite instead of my own .22's on my trips.

Anyway Paul, how about rechambering in .25-25 Stevens? It looks like a mini me version of your 9.3X72R.

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

QuoteIt looks like a mini me version of your 9.3X72R.
You got that right! 2.5" long and only .25" in diameter!:eek:

I have seen that cartridge listed in a few places, but I figured it was "too big" pressure-wise, for the Favorite. However, now seeing a picture of it, it's certainly a thought. Quickload  lists the PMax at 28,000, just like the .25-20 Single Shot. Of course, I suspect brass will be harder to come by than the 25-20 WIN. The 25-20 SS is very difficult to get from what I understand.

Hmm... 25-20, 25-21, and 25-25.

A quick check at Midway locates some Bertram 25-25 Stevens cases... at $3.10 each :eek: If I were to go down that path, I might opt for the .25-21 Stevens that's about half an inch shorter. But they're still $3.10 each.

How about a picture of your Favorite? I'd like to see it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

If you load it with black powder that would keep the pressure down. :p
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Quote from: Hunterbug;88514If you load it with black powder that would keep the pressure down. :p
'At's very true...

Another cartridge that comes to mind is the .25 Hornet. Or the .22 Hornet for that matter, but I'd prefer the .25.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

They are great little rifle. I've seen a few around in Oz chambered in 32 rimfire. Or would those rifles be a larger version? Not sure but they are very nice.

I was going to buy a 32 rimfire of a dude but my mate talked me out of it saying it would be too much work to convert it to a centrefire. Not sure how true that is but I gutted it out.

Now they are double the price. A dude on usedguns.com.au sold a whole collection of stevens single shot rifles including the tip up models.

Savage makes a modern take down version of the Stevens in 22LR and 17HMR.

Looking forward to seeing the end result Paul.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

The .32 RF is the same as the one I have and the same "size-wise" as the .22 RFs.

I would have been happy as a clam with the .32 RF if I could have found a source for .32 RF ammo, as it is obviously not reloadable. Sadly there are no sources for .32 RF at the moment in the US. At least not known to me or among those I asked at a couple of forums. The only reason I'm trying ot get to CF is so I can make ammo for it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul, you have just rattled my cage!
The first cf I helped with reloading was a Stevens .32rf *** .32-20.
My great uncle gave it to his grandson, who was about 2 years older than me.
It was marked .32 RF, but someone had braised up the firing pin hole, relocated the pin to the center and rechambered it to .32-20.
My grandpa had a.31 colt mold, mu cousin found a Lyman tong tool, he bought bulk powder from the drug store, primers from Western Auto and I made bullets from old sinkers and minnow seine weights.
It was no bench rest rifle, but it sure was a lot of fun for to teenagers, we just griped that it cost more than .22rf to shoot.
Have you checked on converting to .32 -20?
Brass is cheap and plentiful, there are plenty of bullets and a number of molds.
I have gotten 3 fellows in to loading for their .32-20 and while it is a bit of a challenge, there are not a lot of good powders, 2400, 4127, AA #9 and .410 are most popular, with Blue Dot and Herco also working pretty well.
Should be a real fun little thing, I have been looking for a Stevens in .32 RF for at least 20 years and have given up.
A friend was left  a .32 rf Remington pump but he is long dead and I have no idea where it would be now.
Oh well, If I live long enough.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I fooled around with these things years ago and even with the bigger 44 Stevens action I gave up on them as centerfire. I had Ackley rebore a 25 rimfire for me to 32/20 caliber and chambered it myself. It's my firm belief one is asking for trouble when converting one of these old mallable iron actions to centerfire. I'll agree very light loads would be ok but I'm not taking any more chances with them. Picture is of my Favorite that has been through one barrel and stock and my Stevens 44 target rifle in 22 LR. Under the 44 is the 32/20 barrel. I have a centerfire and rimfire breech block for the 44 Stevens. I restocked both of these rifles. The wood on the 44 is really beautiful and only found on high grade rifles. Both of these guns have been with me more years than I like to remember. I have another Favorite frame somewhere around here in one of the junk boxes. I was foolish when I was young. Good luck with your new project. ...........Paul H

buckshot roberts

you two have some very nice rifle's......... I saw some ammo in .25-25 stevens... from Ballard rifle and cartridge company.......it would be nice to have one.........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Hunterbug

A good friend of mine has one in 32 rimfire. I picked him up a box of ammo at a gun show. For $45 for 50 rounds! Last I heard no one is making ammo for it anymore.

Niccolo Machiavelli

kombi1976

Well, I know of at least 2 guys with Favorites converted from .25rf to 25-20 and all stood up brilliantly.
Of course, don't load it like a Ruger #1 or even a Martini Cadet but 25-20 is a mild cartridge and using a moderate powder instead of the pistol powders it should hold up well.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

Well boys, that's all great news, and information I respect far more than what I got at the other site. NONE of the Chicken Little's ("The sky is falling. The sky is falling.") there had ever DONE IT.

Paul - "Hot load" is rarely in my vocabulary any more. To me this rifle is one on which I can practice more of my 'smithing' skills. I would like to end up with a rifle that in the 'looks' department would be one my decendents would cherish, and in the 'performance' department would be good for a kid to plink snowshoes and the occassional lynx or coyote with. As I said, I doubt I would ever load to pressures greater than 20k PSI. Is there any way to "harden" that "maleable steel"? I now have a furnace that heats to 2000 F for heat treating metal. Frankly, the receiver looks like it can "handle the load" to me. If anything, I would question the strength of the front pins/screws, and the hardness of the breechblock. Both of which could be made of 'tougher' stuff. However, I understand that if the screws/pins were hardened, they could 'stretch' the holes in which they ride.

Don - Cool! The .32-20 is fine with me. I'll be looking for load data once I get it stocked and some metal work done. I need to file out the nasty marks on the tang, and possibly replace the hammer or fabricate a new one. I see that the .32-20 has a larger head (.315" vs .299") and a larger rim (.408" vs .395") than the .32 RF for which this barrel is still chambered. Meaning, that I would prolly have to modify the extractor a bit too. No big deal - just another mod.

BSR - I'll look for that ammo.

HB - Does that friend still have that rifle?

kombi1976 - Because I have a .25 caliber barrel in hand, and because it would be a good start for working on my millling skills to make it half octagon-half round, I'm almost positive that I will make a barrel chambered in some .25 cartridge ranging from .25-20 up to the .25-25.

Turns out, I'm pretty sure the birdseye maple butt that was originally on the Martini-Enfield will work nicely for the Favorite. I hope it does. I really didn't want to scrap that piece of wood. Which reminds me HB. While it's birdseye instead of tigerstripe, the "old" forearm from mine may be suitable as a new one for yours if we rebarrel yours.

My hope is that one of my daughters will carry this rifle while I carry either my SxS 28 gauge, or my 10/22, or maybe my SxS .410, while we rummage around looking for bunnies and whatever. Of course, they may want to carry their SxS 20's they got for Christmas from their grandfather. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: