Marooned on a desert Island......pick you firearm!

Started by kombi1976, December 24, 2008, 04:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which firearm would you take if marooned on a desert island?

mall calibre pistol
1 (2.3%)
arge calibre pistol
0 (0%)
ingle shot or bolt action rimfire rifle
2 (4.7%)
ump, lever or semi auto rimfire rifle
1 (2.3%)
ingle shot or bolt action centrefire rifle
9 (20.9%)
ump, lever or semi auto centrefire rifle
10 (23.3%)
hotgun
12 (27.9%)
lack powder long arm
0 (0%)
imfire/shotgun combination
3 (7%)
entrefire/shotgun combination/drilling/veirling
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

kombi1976

In response to the issues raised by the Pick Your Cartridge poll I decided to post this one.
Here we go to keep things interesting.
The "desert island" you are stuck on has some predators like crocs and native wild dogs as well as the odd people you may need to defend yourself from.
Game varies from pigeons and ducks to some medium game like hogs, goats or deer.
Now pick one of the different firearms available above.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

RustyBrass

looking over the choice, sorry, but I'd have to say none of them.  I'd prefer a modern assault rifle with full/semi select fire in 223, 6.8 SPC, or 7.62x39- no reason to be limited with semi auto when dealing with possible invading hoards !

kombi1976

Right......... :undecided:
So, how much ammo did you take with you?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

davidlt89

I picked the bolt action rifle because it is what I am most comfortable with and feel I can shoot the best. In reference to the other thread, I would still want it in 30.06 or 7mm. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

Well, my vote went for the Kreighoff Optima centrefire/shotgun drilling in 12g/12g/7x65R.
It can also be fitted with KS Insert Barrels in the shotgun bbls to shoot anything from 222 Rem to 9.3x74R.
In all honesty it would be mad to take 3 or 4 different cals with you.
A few different types of shotgun ammo including rifled slugs, some KS inserts in 9.3x74R for croc hunting and protection, and the rifle bbl in 7x65R for medium game and predators would be heaps.
You could even get a couple of KS Inserts  in 7x65R as well for the ultimate in stopping power.......a triple rifle!! :)
3 quick shots in the chute ready to knock down anyone or anything that wanted to hassle you.
Cheers & God Bless

RustyBrass

Quote from: kombi1976;87924Right......... :undecided:
So, how much ammo did you take with you?

quite a bit of 223 ammo can be carried being it's so light and handy, one of the major reasons the US Army went to the caliber- ability to carry more ammo and not run dry in a firefight.  if ammo supply on the island is an issue, just click to "semi" and problem solved !:army:

bowhunter 51

A deserted Island with odd people of unknown nationality & carnivores?
Without question....A semi-auto centerfire in 308 Win.........................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

RustyBrass

Quote from: bowhunter 51;87936A deserted Island with odd people of unknown nationality & carnivores?
Without question....A semi-auto centerfire in 308 Win.........................BH51...

i.e. a FN FAL :biggthumpup:

Allen

No one gun is perfect, but a pump 12g should handle all things needed.

Allen

LvrLover

In that situation I would like my old, reliable, shoots every time SKS. 2nd choice would be a mossy 500 or rem 870 in 12 guage as Allen suggested.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

RustyBrass

there's truth in the shotgun recommendation, my brother in law is being deployed to Iraq in January for 9 months- in addition to his modern variant of the M-16, he was issued a Mossberg pump mod. 500 fed with -00- buckshot.

22hornet

I had to go for the bolt action centre fire. I would choose a carbine. No scope, open sights, in a smaller calibre like the 7.62x39mm or even a 6.8spc. Maybe the CZ carbine.

I wouldn't be shooting any long ranges. The crocs won't be a problem unless you go near them.

Reliable, light weight, easy to transport, easy to clean, not much to go wrong.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Alboy

I would want a 22 RF in a break open single shot. Very little that can not be fixed in a pinch.

Also since Kombi is so easy going I will point this in a little different direction. I would want a minimum of one of these and several would be nice. BVeing a "MEDICINE MAN" around primitives is big voodoo and handy. Medical kits
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Steve D

What I have always thought of as my ultimate survival firearm is a combination 22 RF/12ga.  Savage made the Mod 24 in this combination although I am sure other firearms are available.  The 12 guage would handle all of the examples of critters to dispatch and the 22 RF would be available for lighter needs.  One would need to take a wide variety of 12 ga ammunition, from birdshot, to buckshot, to slugs.......   I'm used to carrying different ammo for the 12 ga.  I have a friend who hunts pheasants with a cylinder bore, 18.5' barrel 12 ga.  He loads his shells to provide a 15 ft, 15 yd and 40 yd pattern with different wads, etc.  I feel the most versatile firearm in existence is the 12 ga.  Nothing "does it all", but the 12 ga comes as close as anything.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

windywales

as long as we're dreamin', why not a nice german drilling, in 16x16x7x57.  claw-mount scope.  you can get a drop-in .22 insert for one of the shotties, and take whatever comes down the pike.  for serious, though, the original .22/.410 would be a whole lot easier to pack the ammo for--and if i had to give up one, it'd be the .410.  there's no survival gun that can compare to the .22--as long as you've got the brains to not use it when you shouldn't.
mind yer topknot!  windy

Tags: