New Scope

Started by Paul Hoskins, December 20, 2008, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Bought a new scope today but have no idea about the quality. The junk that comes with it only says DKG Trading Inc. ....Evansville, Ill. The box says FM Optics. ??? ..........It is a neat little scope about 8 1/2 inches long and supposedly is 3-9 power with lighted Mil dot reticle. It has Weaver type rails on all four sides. Mount is included. .........I was checking it out and it defnitely isn't 3-9 power but still nice. On the 3 power setting it is obviously one X and at 9 power it appears to be about six X magnification. Possibly 7X. I was impressed with the lighted reticle. I think it has five or six diffrent brightness settings but the first one is plenty bright enough. At the higher settings the crosshairs become too bright and blurry. If it will hold together under recoil, it should be ideal for bear hunting in Maine where you're in dark timber and the bear come in late anyway. The color of the lighted reticle is what I would call indigo blue. I didn't think it would be a very good color for a reticle but I was wrong. It's an excellent color no matter what you're shooting at in the woods with the possible exception of the seat of someones jeans. Another thing that impressed me was the eye relief. At 3X it has about six or seven inches of useful eye relief. On 9X it is still around 4 inches. To my thinking the mil dots are about as useless as a milk bucket under a bull. Does anyone else on the forum know anything about these scopes? ..........Paul H

22hornet

I have never seen a scope like that before. Was it an ebay pickup? What rifle is it going on?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Paul Hoskins

Hornet, I bought the scope from a dealer at the flea market up the road. I never thought about what gun to put it on. It was just an impulse to buy it after disccovering the extra long eye relief.    ...........Paul H

gitano

Don't know a thing about them Paul, but your stated use sounds perfect for it.

It sounds like an interesting 'scope. Unless the regs have recently changed, one can't use a lighted reticle in Alaska, as the State considers that using "artificial light" - no different that using a spotlight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, that's absurd calling a lighted reticle the same as using a spotlight. There is absolutely no projected light in the scope. Your game officials must be retarded or something. It only makes sense to make the sights as efficient as possible to prevent as much wounding and loss of game as possible. Seems all our government officials are retarded tho.   .............I'll leave it at that. ..........Paul H

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;87891.... Your game officials must be retarded or something. ... Seems all our government officials are retarded tho. Paul H

Do you figure they were retarded to begin with or got that way after they got the job?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Paul Hoskins

Both. They wouldn't be politicians if they weren't retarded in the first place..    ........Paul H

gitano

They're not retarded, just highly "ethical", dontchaknow ...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: