reloading supplies

Started by Hunterbug, November 30, 2008, 06:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse today to get some reloading stuff and the shelves were bare! The only primers were small and large magnum pistol primers. There were no rifle primers at all! The bullet selection was very slim in Hornday and Sierra, there was a decient selection of Speer. There were some 1 pound cans of powder but no 8 pound cans at all. Loaded ammunition was not much better. There was no 45acp or 9mm of any kind. There was little selection in rifle ammo. The 500 round boxes of .22 were $20 for the cheap one and $30 for Federal! People are buying everything in sight. They didn't even have very many pistols. I'm going to start buying a box of ammo or reloading stuff every payday starting with primers, if I can find any!
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Daryl (deceased)

'bug,

Rob, my buddy in Colorado Springs, called me about 2 days after the election and said about the same thing as you.  He was at Sportsman's Warehouse, and they had almost nothing.  Almost no firearms, almost no ammunitioin, and almost no loading supplies, and people were buying up everything in the store that they could get ahold of.

I hate to point this out, but before the Clintons most states didn't issue CCW permits very easily.  There are more gun owners now than there were before the Clintons, too.  The Clintons worked hard to ban certain types of firearms, and I sorta feel like we now have more firearms rights than we did before the Clintons, and Bush really didn't do much to enhance our rights, even though he didn't stand against them.

The next four years is going to be rough for us, but lets hope and do everything we can to make sure we win again in the end.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

sakorick

Hello Bug. I order all my powder from this place.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
These guys have it all and are fast shippers with prices that can't be beat. I usually wait til I need 5 pounds of RL22 and 8 pounds of IMR 4064 and some misc one pound cans plus a case of primers or two. Buying in bulk saves big bucks on the Hazmat fee and I only have to order every 2 years or so. With the fee, your cost will be less than 16 dollars per pound. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Thanx Rick. I was looking at their bullet selection, pretty good. They even have the .323 125gr SP from Hornady for Gitano. I'll have to look at placing an order.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Nelsdou

I'm not so sure about Sportmens Warehouse.

Same situation here as 'Bug described, very few bullets, low on powder.  I then stopped in at the locally owned place and he had plenty of bullets and powder; all at just the usual premium price.  He did let me fondle an exceptionally nice walnut stocked Tikka. Quite relieved it was a 270 so I could put it down without guilt.

Anywho I'm wondering if stuff is really flying off SW's shelves or if they have serious inventory problems.

I've heard good things about Powder Valley too; aiming to stop by there soon on my next "Yes Dear visit the in-laws" trip.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

recoil junky

Rumor has it that Sportsman's Warehouse has been sold and they are not reordering anything. I was at the one in Twin Falls ID over the weekend and it's the same there. No powder to speak of and a few primers and fewer bullets. I did manage to make it home with 5000 primers and 2 bags of .223 brass, I was very surprised to find the .223 brass. Ammo was plentiful in most calibers.

Again, it's a rumor I heard today about them selling out and I'm not to sure of the source.

Reloading supplies here in Craig are spotty at best. Again it's how much you want to pay and how long you want to wait. NW Pawn has a fair selection and can get whatever you want and their prices are pretty reasonable.  Craig sports on the other hand has very little as usual and prices are way over what it's worth.

There are plenty of places on line that seem to have a good supply, if you can order enough powder to make it worth the HAZMAT charge.

Let's not forget what happened when Mr. Clinton got elected. There was a big panic then as now and reloading supplies were in big demand, then everybody decided they were panicking for nothing and supplies went back to normal in a couple months.

I still have some of the powder left that I bought back then, but then again it's hard to burn up an 8# keg of Bullseye, at least for me.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Hunterbug

RJ, when we were up there I noticed that Wal-Mart has reloading stuff. Just FYI.

Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Yeah, but not a very good selection. If you try to talk to anyone there about components and can you order me some ______, it's like :huh: :stars::undecided: :o:no::confused:.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: