45-120 information - help!

Started by roadkill, December 26, 2004, 06:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkill

I just bought my husband a 1874 Hartford Sharps 45-120 made by Pedrotti & Sons in Italy.  Although we have reloading knowledge, we are in a quandry as to whether to use black powder or smokeless powder loads.  We would greatly appreciate any opinions/advise.  If we use black powder, we were thinking of using the Triple 7.  Any recommendations on bullet types ie..jacketed vs lead would be great also.  We have read a few pros and cons on both methods and are thus undecided at this point as to which process to pursue.  Thank you in advance for any information.  Our e-mail is roadkillcardens@aol.com or you can instant message us at the same local.:)

Jay Edward (deceased)

I am not a believer in smokeless powder loads for the really big cartridges Roadkill.  I feel that it is much better to stick with black powder.  Now as to which it should be...black powder or black powder substitute, granules or pellets...that will have to be a matter of experimentation and final decision by you two.  Some folks don't like to do that much cleaning and so they base their decision on that.

I use lead exclusively in my singleshot rifles and cannot speak to the jacketed bullet issue.  To me the whole point of the Sharps, Rolling Block, Falling Block, Martini, etc. is to experience the blackpowder and lead hunting lifestyle.  No offense, but why not own a Ruger No. 1?

I will repost the blackpowder loading data from SPG and to be perfectly candid, I've never seen smokeless powder listings for the .45-120 cartrige.  I think I heard somewhere that  Accurate Arms has a smokeless powder they are pushing for these type of cartridges but I haven't bothered to look at them since I am after the real thing.

quigleysharps4570

Here's the Accurate data for the 45-120 in case you decide to go the smokeless powder route. Their 5744 is good powder for those big ole straight cartridges.

quigleysharps4570

Here is the Accurate data for the 45-120 in case you decide to go the smokeless powder route. Their 5744 is pretty good powder for those big cartridges. Hard to beat that ole blackpowder though.

quigleysharps4570

Here is the Accurate data for the 45-120 in case you decide to go the smokeless powder route.

roadkill

Thank you for the data...I'm working on that as our option...but I'm just the wife who bought it...LOL

Jay Edward (deceased)

For the benefit of others who visit this thread, here is the Hodgdon data:

Jay Edward (deceased)

Please note that the blackpowder loading is very similar to the smokeless loading. Couple that with the education you get from putting a lubricated lead bullet or paper patched lead bullet to work (and the overall lower running costs)...well you get the picture.

Ref for SPG as a lube:
http://www.blackpowderspg.com/history_body.html

http://www.lonestarrifle.com/spg.htm

http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

And here is my prefered data from SPG:

RumRunner

I'm quite sure I can't add anything to what has already been said, but I would like to mention that black Powder should be compressed just a bit...either by the use of wads, or the bullet it self. In other words a full case of powder with just enough room to seat the bullet FLUSH on top...NO air space.

Roadkill mentioned "Tripple Seven" (777) IMHO. I would not use this powder in that large of a case. But, at the same time... I must admit to never having tried it.... I do think I would stick to real black, and Accurate Arms 5744, along with cast bullets and a good lube for a while, at least until I got familar with the rifle.

The 45-120 is a killer on both ends, even when treated with respect. Tripple seven is considered much hotter than regular FFg Black powder. I would also check Hogdons web site to see what have to say about loading that powder in that case.

Another consideration might be "Cartridge" grade from Goex. It is considered by many to be a 2.5Fg fitting neatly in the scheme of things with Fg, FFg, Cartridge, and FFFg.

Just my thoughts, along with the thought that it takes one "Jim Dandy" wife to give this rifle as a present....Me hats off to ya mamm!
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

Tags: