Got my trip all planned!!

Started by babbyc1000, November 04, 2008, 12:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbyc1000

Ive finally got my trip to latvia in january (to meet my girlfriends family) all planned and sorted - got the time booked off work, got the flights booked, found my passport (and made sure its still valid), made sure mum can look after the dogs for me and ive been trying to learn some russian phrases :biggthumpup:

its also given me a great excuse to stock up on winter gear as her brother wants to take me hunting elk, tho think its what americans call moose. so ive been buying non stop, mostly army surplus. so far ive got a british camo fur hat which came with a white face mask, extreme cold weather jacket and trouser liners - tho the trousers will probably stay at home, theyre designed for a lean, mean soldier, where as i have a couple of extra inches in places.... and my bestest new fangled toy (which i love and am looking an excuse to wear here) is my german winter camo poncho, folds up to fit in a bergen side pouch and means i dont have to worry about wearing green dpms in the snow and sticking out like a, well, an idiot dressed in green camo gear in a field full of white snow :greentongue: :greentongue: :greentongue:

have to say tho im secretly bricking it about the trip, my russian is limited to a few phrases and swear words that katya's brother in law taught me, so its going to be very interesting - shes got a large family with lots of young nieces and nephews and cousins, so im going to the main attraction in the circus, lets hope the 40% proof russian vodka helps me find a way through it.... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Brithunter

Hmmm good luck as I have a feeling that you might need it :undecided:

Not sure that Army Surplus is such a good idea something from the Scandinavian companies like Deerhunter might be better as they are used to that weather but good luck anyway
Go Get them Floyd!

babbyc1000

id thought that myself at the start, but ill be hunting 1 day at most (the rest of the time being taken up by meeting and greeting) so didnt want to spend major amounts of money on something i doubt id use much over here, so we'll see - if i come back with frost bite i will gladly sign a declaration saying "i am a complete plonker and bh always knows best"

:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:

Brithunter

Now Now :greentongue:  it's just that I started out using DPM then in about 1997 I brought a Deerhunter Moleskin jacket and have not got wet nor cold since even when sitting in high seats all day.. OK to get to really cold temps I have to wear something under it but the one I brought I can also use in the spring and Autumn as it's not too warm and it breathes.
Go Get them Floyd!

Daryl (deceased)

I just hope your gal friend doesn't choose this trip for a time to even the score for your halloween prank!

I can think of all kinds of fun things they might pull on you.

Good luck!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

babbyc1000

Quote from: Brithunter;85380Now Now :greentongue: it's just that I started out using DPM then in about 1997 I brought a Deerhunter Moleskin jacket and have not got wet nor cold since even when sitting in high seats all day.. OK to get to really cold temps I have to wear something under it but the one I brought I can also use in the spring and Autumn as it's not too warm and it breathes.

heh heh im only messin with u mate, sorry, u know i always appreciate any advice u give me - especially as i could be facing -40 degree temperatures :eek: :eek: :eek:

i do intend to stock up on proper gear if this becomes a regular thing but i thought this time id do it on the cheap - plus, and this sounds really really stupid, but im going to be feeling like a complete fish out of water (first time in latvia, cant speak russian, hunting elk and wild boar, using soviet weaponry,etc) so i wanted to take my regular gear with me to make me feel a bit more comfortable - having something im familiar with, if you know what i mean? so using the liners (hopefully) allows me to do that :shy:

oh daryl cheers for that, i can just imagine the fun things she can arrange - getting her brother in law (a cop) to get me locked up, or getting me drunk on 40% proof vodka at her brthday party... oh wait, no i can normally manage those things all on my own... lmao!!!! :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:

Tags: