mule deer book

Started by JaDub, November 03, 2008, 04:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Being a newbie to deer hunting I`m always on the look-out for good informative books.  I live in Colorado where mulies are most abundant.  Can anyone recommend a good informative book on hunting mulies in the rockies?  I`d like to learn more about buck moods and applied tactics through-out the early ,mid and late seasons, & what calls to use if any.    I see so many different calls on the shelves that I`m a `confused buyer`. :undecided:  I see and hear the neat box calls (doe?) and many grunters but jeeeez, what should I start with OR do I really need ANY of these to start with?  :confused:  I`ve pretty much resigned myself to spotting and stalking but  also will be looking for good choke points and sitting down.

`course being a true rookie I`ve also gotta wait to draw a tag.  :Banghead:

Thanks for your help and suggestions,  hope I can return the favor!  :biggthumpup:

recoil junky

Where 'bouts here in CO??!?

The best book is the one with the blue cover :greentongue:. Just by getting out where the deer live and spending time watching their movements can be as good as or better than any book. I spend a lot of time watching deer as they pass through my property and I never get tired of it. Even with deer numbers way down and hunting season in ful swing I spend a few minutes each morning or evening looking at/for deer. You will be amazed at how little cover it takes to hide a deer. then when yu spot  one deer , you'll surely spot 2 or 3or 4 more all in the same patch of sagebrush.

A good pair of binoculars is a must for spotting deer. Not expensive ones, just good ones. I keep mine on my dresser so I can have a peek first thing then haul them down to the kitchen while I'm eating breakfast.

This feller was out by the apple tree a couple weeks ago while I poured my bowl of Wheaties!! :eek:

This feller was out in the pasture last fall the last day of third season. He was very lucky he was on my property, because several people stopped and looked at him and more than one asked if they could shoot him.

Of course the answer was , no!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

Recoil,

I live in the Denver metro area.  

I am a bit more than jealous of your morning breakfast routine!!   ...........gotta make the Wheaties taste extra special I`m sure.

I did pick-up a good ( but not terribly expensive ) Nikon 10 x 50 binoc.  I hope to do some glassing this winter and next summer to do just as you suggested.............observe, then I guess I have to wait out the process of getting a tag.  I don`t really know which area to apply for so I guess that will pretty much be a **** shoot as well.    I`m 60 years young and have had no father or any relatives or freinds  to glean deer hunting techniques from so I`m pretty much on my own.  I guess you could call it a `bucket list` thing.  I have had fun researching a gun purchase etc with the help of folks on this forum.     I was the oldest guy by far at the hunter`s safety class!  
   One of my biggest regrets in life is not having  had any children to share the  great out of doors with.   Thanks for your pictures,  they are VERY inspiring!  Jeff

recoil junky

Well, 60 years young is pretty young, but you are still an old fart :greentongue:.

So, what caliber rifle did you end up choosing?

As for the area yuo put in for that depends on how far you want to travel, if you want to camp out, etc. Units 3, 4, 11, 13 and 14 here in NW Colorado have good deer numbers and a lot of public land to hunt on. Good numbers that is if the winter kill isn't as bad as last year.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

I settled on a TIKKA T3 lite .308 Winchester with a 4x12x50 scope.  The other one I was tempted with was the 7mm08 but the deciding factor in the end was 1: availability & 2: was ammo variety.  Not being as steady as I once was and keeping in mind my `slight` build I pretty much eliminated magnums........ ouch.
   I`m self employed so distance traveled in Colorado and time frames  aren`t  issues at all.  I have a Nissan 4X Pathfinder that will get me back in a ways........   I can sleep in it or camp out a bit.  
   As for the `old fart` thing...............    I`m gracefully accepting my role!  8-)    Jeff

M. R. Byrd

JaDub-

Glad to have you on the forum. I took up elk hunting at the age of 53 and really enjoy it. Have you considered elk hunting, since you can get an over-the-counter tag for many units for the second and third seasons?

Even though you have no children to get involved in the great outdoors, there are programs that have adult mentors for youth. One that I am familar with is Pass It On Outdoors based in Wichita. See link.

http://www.outdoormentors.org/

There are other opportunities through BBBS, 4-H Shooting Programs, conservation organizations(DU, PF, QU).
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

JaDub

Yeah,   elk hunting is certainly attractive as well.  I guess I thought I`d start `small` and work up.  At this moment I have no plans other than  the firing range .....soon.   Sure would be nice going out with a partner the first time out ..........   guess I just need to get off the fence, eh?  8-)      Now there`s that matter of a tag........      I`m not looking for a `trophy`,  just need to see critters.

Tags: