Philosophical ponderings

Started by LvrLover, September 01, 2008, 08:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

I was listening to a book on CD with my kids today. It was called The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. The last book in his Narnia series. Anyway the reason I'm posting is a line one of the characters had that got me very philosophical. I believe it was something like this," No man is so poor that he cannot buy a noble death." Why is it no one talks like this anymore? We (as a society) have all become so afraid of death that we will do, or not do, anything we can to keep our skins. We have forgotten our pioneering heritage of men and women who risked all for the benefit of their children, fully knowing they would be dead before they reaped all the harvest of their work. I remember reading a book on Stonewall Jackson when I was in school. The reason he was called "Stonewall" was he would sit out in the open in a battle and not even try to take cover. He believed that his life was in God's hands and nothing he could do would prolong his life if God called him home. Oh, to be that trusting and have that much faith. We have forgotten Christ's words,"Greater love hath no man than this, than he lay down his life for his friend." My friends, and that is how I think of a lot of you here, have we forgotten there are things much worse than death?
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

babbyc1000

hmm ive never been afraid to die, in fact ive put myself in a few situations where it looked like it was a dead cert (excuse the pun) that i was going to be at least seriousley injured, simply because i refused to back down. maybe im just pig headed, maybe its just part of my breeding, but i dont worry about it. in fact i have a tattoo of the grim reaper on my right bicep, its not for show (even if im wearing a tshirt you cant see it) it was far more personal than that. if people ask me what its for i just say my right arm is my shooting arm and that its there as a kind of lucky charm, but the real reason is a bit deeper. i got it done just after the 1st anniversary of my grandmothers death. when i look at it it reminds me that everyone has their time to go, no matter what. the only control you have is how you go.
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

bowhunter 51

(No man is so poor, he cannot buy a Noble death)...Hmmm......interesting.
I'm partial to the concept; ( To know life is to plant a tree, knowing full-
well, you'l ner' sit it's shade).....to be out in the open, in battle seems
reckless and selfish to those who seek your guidance in life, in my opinion,
as is the S. Jackson  senerio...I must admit, I'm not looking forward to
the day...I love life...death can take us without preparation...I reckon I
don't  fear death so much that I fear the pain in the hearts of those who
love me, the result of my passing......There is reason for life.............BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

LvrLover

BH, I agree that life is a wonderful thing and I will enjoy every minute I'm here. I see what you are saying about SJ, but in his case I don't think he was being selfish. He served as an inspiration to his men and was being true to his beliefs. Would I do that in a battle? Probably not without a very good reason. My point was he believed his life or death was in Gods hands and acted on that belief. One of my favorite sayings is," I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees."
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: