Range Report

Started by sakorick, August 08, 2008, 12:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Did some experimenting with 100 gr Noslers in the 6.5-'06 AI. Shot two groups 5 shot group at 100 yards and a 4 shot group at 250 yards. Something felt very bad as I studied the vertical string. Disassembled the rifle and to my astonishment, the rear screw guard was not tight. Upon further inspection I noted the rear guard screw pillar was not installed!:Banghead: The rear guard screw in a Mauser action is critical as this locks the action with metal to metal contact. Without it, you have metal to wood contact which crushes the wood and allows the screws to loosen up.:eek: Well, I went out to the shop and found a spare pillar reassembled the rifle and shot 2 more groups with 120 gr Noslers....my deer load. The picture tells the story....rifle fixed and all is well!:biggthumpup:

Sidebar. Guard screws are critical to accurate consistent shooting. Most manufactures recommend 60 inch pounds of torque. I have a Wheeler FAT torque screwdriver available from Midway for around 45 dollars. Now I set all my screws including scope rings to the proper torque. 60 inch pounds is a lot more than you think! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

It's nice to have a rifle that puts 'em where you aim 'em. Nice shootin'.

I'm assuming you didn't adjust the 'scope between the 100-grainers and the 120s. That assumption being correct, it's also nice that both bullet hit close to the same POI.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;81811It's nice to have a rifle that puts 'em where you aim 'em. Nice shootin'.

I'm assuming you didn't adjust the 'scope between the 100-grainers and the 120s. That assumption being correct, it's also nice that both bullet hit close to the same POI.

Paul

Hello Paul. Thanks for the complement. Between the 100 and 120's I adjusted the scope down 12 clicks. From past shooting I knew the 120's were 3 inches higher than the 100's. The BC's on these Noslers is shockingly different....the 100 gr is .350 and the 120 gr is .458. I'm going to do some more testing with the 100's as a moderate load produces a mild recoil compaired to the hot 120 load. I also suspect that there is a better powder than RL22 for the 6.5-'06 AI, however, I started out with it and it groups well so I just stuck with it. the 120 load is at about 93% capacity as I recall. Regards, Rick.

Alboy

I ditto the nice shooting, impressive.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Brithunter

Hi Sakorick,

I can only say that I hope I can shoot as well. Nice going.
Go Get them Floyd!

Gmoney

Good job Rick...

If I had to pick one 6.5 pill for deer sized and under forever, it would be the 120 Ballistic Tip...

Fantastic bullet for deer...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Steve D

I've been doing a lot of thinking (coveting?) regarding a 6.5. This isn't helping to talk me out of it. :undecided: :)
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Brithunter

Ahhhh Steve,

Don't listen to the voices :shy:  what you really want is a .256" :smiley:

Ahhh but wait that's just the other name for the 6.5mm :greentongue:  The 6.5x54MS was known here as the 256 Mannlicher.
Go Get them Floyd!

Steve D

If my memory serves me correctly, the 6.5-06 was originally known as the 256 Newton.  That 6.5 might be hotter than I really need, but we discussed need, or justification, against want before.  :biggthumpup:   Need has nothing to do with anything.

sakorick

Quote from: Steve D;82164If my memory serves me correctly, the 6.5-06 was originally known as the 256 Newton. That 6.5 might be hotter than I really need, but we discussed need, or justification, against want before. :biggthumpup: Need has nothing to do with anything.

Hello Steve....not quite. The 256 Newton has a different shoulder angle and of course the Ackley version has a much different (40deg) shoulder angle with a pooched out case. Most of the history calls the Newton lacking behind the 270 for whatever reason. I don't see much difference. Regards, Rick.

Steve D

You are of course correct.  I just meant that the original 30-06 case converted to 6.5 was known as the 256 and was actually a comercial round.  It actually carries the significance of originating as a comercial round and gaining or attaining wildcat status.  Now, as for performance, it was at one time thought that 270 was the smallest one could go and get improved trajectory from the 30-06 case.  I believe it was related to the availability of powders suitable for that much case behind a smaller bore.  We now have how many more powders? to choose from, with improvements and new configurations which allow higher velocities from the smaller bores.  And, of course, a much larger bullet selection in nearly every bore size we can think of.  I have even heard of taking the -06 down to .224.  That's too far for my taste, but someone figures they need it.  As for increased performance, on paper there is an edge of the 6.5 over 270.  Enough to justify something between the 25-06 and 270?  I thought we covered that.  :biggthumpup:   Would one use a 270 on big bear.  I wouldn't.....  So, why anything larger than 25-06 for elk.  Why use a 300 Win Mag for deer?  It's all for one reason.  We want to explore the possibilities and get every edge we think we need and to match our individual hunting style or preference.  I really have no reason for any more rifle beyond my 308, but that would be boring.  So, we have about a thousand different calibers to choose from, and I am much happier for it.  By the way, how much diffenerce would you put between the 6.5x55 and 6.5-06.  I know what the differences are on paper, but I am on track on what I think is an attractive deal on a swede.

sakorick

Hello Steve. I own 3, 6.5-55 SM's. Two are the M96 and one the M38. They are easily the most affordable MILSURP out there and extremely well built and accurate rifles. As a kid, we had a M38 that was our "camp gun". Guests from Minnesota or wherever would use it while they were hunting in Colorado. It took 3 bull Elk over the years and scads of Muleys.

The 6.5-'05 is 250'/sec faster and provides better long range performance....other than that, the 6.5-55 isn't as fussy...Feed the 6.5 x 55 anything that burns at a slow to medium rate and it will sing a pretty song.:biggthumpup:  Regards, Rick.

gitano

QuoteI really have no reason for any more rifle beyond my 308, but that would be boring.

Yup.

QuoteI am on track on what I think is an attractive deal on a swede.

Get the Swede.

Based on what you have said about your hunting, and what Rick said above, (except the "most affordable MILSURP" part), I think you'll get more hunting satisfaction from the Swede. However, it may not 'scratch the itch' if you have an itch for a "wildcat".

Rick, you're not growin' wacky-weed on your place are ya? :) There are precious few non-US milsurp rifle models that I can think of that aren't cheaper than Swede 96s, and 38s are even higher.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;82306Yup.

Rick, you're not growin' wacky-weed on your place are ya? :) There are precious few non-US milsurp rifle models that I can think of that aren't cheaper than Swede 96s, and 38s are even higher.

Paul

I just purchased this M96 from Allen's Armory for 265 dollars. I call that very inexpensive for a totally matched M96 with a very good bore. A match 98K is in the 1500 dollar range....no wacky-weed here! Regards, Rick.

gitano

Wait a minute there Hoss...

In your original comment, you didn't say "totally matched" or any other qualifier other than "MILSURP". "All matching" doesn't mean the firearm is a "good" one. It just means collectors are willing to pay more for it. Why, for the most part, evades me.

I can buy a very good, fully operational k-98 for less than $265. Considerably less.

M-39s Finns run about that same $250-ish.

Turk '38s, while not purty, but still very functional, can be had for $125.

GOOD quality rearsenalled Russian Dragoons can be had for about $100.

(I'd mention the really cheap m-38s and M-45s at less than $100, but they're not really easily converted to a hunting arm in my opinion.)

M-96 Hungarians are going for $150-ish.

Heck, even Persian M-29s can be had for less than $265.

And finally, you got a good deal (as usual). It's fairly rare, (but not impossible as your purchase illustrates), to see M96 Swedes for less than $300 these days. In fact, it's fairly uncommon to see them less than $350.

Now if you wanna include US milsurps, or 'special', i.e. "all matching", "as issued", etc. the Swede is indeed a "good buy".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: