Secrets & Tips

Started by buckshot roberts, July 29, 2008, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Some of the best ones are the ones that you figure out for yorself...or trips that were passed on to you, it's never to early in the season to talk deer hunting.
I was talking to  some of the guys at work about deer hunting spots in the wildlife management area, and I found out that one area is just like the kind I grew up hunting in.
Now I also found out that one of the hunters was taking a course on deer hunting, as first I took it as a joke, but no, it's true, a course on deer hunting  :greentongue: an "Advanced" one at that, and is going to help him be an "Expert" deer hunter.

here are a few tips i passed on..........

If possible, scout the terrain before you hunt it.

Start early and be prepared to stay late, two good times to run into deer are at the break of dawn and just before sundown....

your clothing and equipment is just as important, as your rifle.

bucks will rub an area on the side that he was coming from...

a deer eyes and brain are designed to notices movement.........

deer will often only run a short distance, if he is not sure what you realy are..........
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

Often times where they run off to is where they came from
:confused:   I just saw that and realized that I stated the obvious.  What I meant is that if you know which way it came from or went to, you may know the answer to the other part.  Comes in handy when your tracking or maybe if you jump one and he runs off, you may want to set up in the area he ran towards to catch him coming into where you jumped him.  

and NEVER EVER EVER turn your head to see what's making that noise right behind you.  You can't shoot through the tree, and if it is going to walk into your shooting lane, you don't need to turn to see it.  I've spooked a few trying to see behind me.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

I have had deer actually run off, circle around and come right back to where they were jumped! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

They're like rabbits, but the circle they run is just a bit bigger. :biggthumpup: Seriously though my dad and I have shot several deer(one nice buck) by following each other on a track. When the front guy "bumps' the deer they like to circle back the way they came to the guy waiting a couple hundred yards back. Just be sure you do this with an experienced partner, not a first timer!
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Antler3

Always hunt with the wind in your face or crosswinds of where you think the deer will come from. Listen to the squirrels they are tattle tails. Be still, don't move while on stand. During the rut when you see doe running by there is a good chance the buck is chasing them, not far behind. When scouting and you find clumped scat, there is a buck bed not far off.
ANTLER 3

marmot60

What gives me a 100% success ratio is look for a set of antlers. There's ALWAYS a deer under them. You don't have to pay me for the tip.  You all have a great season.

Antler3

Quote from: marmot60;81648What gives me a 100% success ratio is look for a set of antlers. There's ALWAYS a deer under them. You don't have to pay me for the tip. You all have a great season.
LOL !!!  Love it !!  Now that's the best sure fire tip I have heard yet !!  You too have a great season !!!  :biggthumpup:
ANTLER 3

buckshot roberts

I've found that wearing yellow-tinted shooting glasses, you can see much better in the gloom of the underbrush early and late in the day,two prime deer-movement periods..........

hunting in a lite rain, may make you uncomfortable, but it provides good weather for hunting. rain robs a crafty deer of it's two main defenses, the ability to smell or hear the hunter,

I've taken some  stalking on a very windy day,as they will move around a lot...........

and in other words, distinguish between animal and vegetable lines, in dense undergrowth, you may not see the antlers of a buck... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Antler3

I've taken some stalking on a very windy day,as they will move around alot.......

I find the opposite to be true in my neck of the woods Buckshot. High winds usually causethe deer in my area to bed down. Alot of times you can stalk hunt them and jump them from thier beds though. If they are not to scared and don't identify you, they won't go far and alot of times will circle back to seewhat you were. On windy days I find them on the lee side of hills out of the wind.
ANTLER 3

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Antler3;81710I've taken some stalking on a very windy day,as they will move around alot.......

I find the opposite to be true in my neck of the woods Buckshot. High winds usually causethe deer in my area to bed down. Alot of times you can stalk hunt them and jump them from thier beds though. If they are not to scared and don't identify you, they won't go far and alot of times will circle back to seewhat you were. On windy days I find them on the lee side of hills out of the wind.

On windy days in my area, I usually find deer on the off-side of hills/mountains.  The wind is usually somewhat still there, with enough noise from the windy side to cover small noises made while stalking.  

I like to stalk from one small drainage to the next as I work down a ridge, concentrating on the heads where the wind is still and the cover is sufficient.  Deer will gather in these areas trying to avoid the wind, and it makes them easier to find.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

Sound carries a long way....Slamming a door on a pick-up, dropping a
tail gate, cranking and running a 4-wheeler, the door chime on your
vehicle,...stuff like that will signal your presence....Makes it real tough
for any of these tips to be of any use once they are aware of your
presence....they are looking for you..and often will just move completely
away from your location in the very earliest stages of your hunt...
I've seen alot of guys actually park where deer come out to feed...They
never harvest a deer for some reason....Deer a quite comfortable where
they can detect your arrival...I have quite often, used this to my own
advantage....the foolishness of other hunters...............................BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Paul Hoskins

I usually don't have any of these problems. I get to my stand between daylight and 9 am and sit and wait. Most deer I've killed was around nine to ten am. I check things out before season opens, even on the farm we lease. We have things pretty well set up on the farm and don't have to worry much about other hunters any more.    ..........Paul H

buckshot roberts

Paul I'll be hunting on a farm this season also, were set up for this gun season, opening day is Nov, 8'th..........

to keep my sent down, I put my hunting clothing in a bag with an old sock filled with baking soda...............

I do love my coffee, but I lay off the caffeine, to much can mess up your aim................

Antler3

I've heard if you stop eating meat two weeks before season it will help the deer not to pick up on your human scent so much. Also don't eat bananas and the mosquitos won't bother you as much. I've also heard a mature buck will bed down at the heads of big hollers.
ANTLER 3

bowhunter 51

Quote from: Antler3;81908I've heard if you stop eating meat two weeks before season it will help the deer not to pick up on your human scent so much.

:undecided: I can believe that, Antler3....I'd be too weak to hunt at all:smiley: ......BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: