interesting day on the range

Started by sakorick, July 25, 2008, 01:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I've been trying to dial in my 7Mag at 250 yards and tried 3 bullets today. The 140gr Sierra Pro Hunter, the 140gr Game King and the 160gr Game King. All 100 yard groups were within 1.25 the 160gr Game King at .8.

At 250 things got interesting. The 140 gr Pro hunters were at 4 inches while the Game Kings were at 5 inches! The 160gr Game Kings stole the show at 2.2 inches. Unfortunately, I can only get around 3000'/sec with them which puts the 400 yard shot 15 inches low zeroed at 250. It was a tricky wind today and I'm not sure what to make of this mess. Looks like it's back to the Accubonds. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Pretty good shootin' Rick. 15" low at 400 isn't too bad. You might have to aim off hair at that range, but only by a few inches. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the 160 is carrying more energy at 400 than the 140s are, BUT, at that range, impact velocity matters too. I like the 160.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;81277Pretty good shootin' Rick. 15" low at 400 isn't too bad. You might have to aim off hair at that range, but only by a few inches. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the 160 is carrying more energy at 400 than the 140s are, BUT, at that range, impact velocity matters too. I like the 160.

Paul

Hello Paul. Yes, 200 more foot pounds at 400 but 1500 or 1700 is still dead. I may try at 400 and see what happens as this rifle has a history of tightening groups at longer ranges. I'm also going to test some 150 gr Nosler BT's. I'm going to do some shooting with the 6.5-'06AI today too. Need coffee now....later, Rick.

subsonic

I'm surprised your groups "blew up" that much at only 250.

When I was a member at the 600yd range, my 6.5x55 was shooting around 1.25" at 100 - shot around 2.5" at 200 and was around 5" at 400. Pretty much what you'd expect "mathematically". I shot the 400yd groups prone with a sling too. These were 5 shot groups.

I should have made the journey to the 600yd backers just to see, but never did.

Check your prallax adjustment if your scope has one? See any mirage?

That's weird.

Steve D

I use a Lee Shooter program that includes a ballistic calculator.  I assume you have that or something similar.  I have a 280 Rem loaded with some Barnes 160 XLC BT's that look good on paper.  I have yet to see how they shoot as I have had problems with my scope.  I can't remember numbers here at work, but they are listed by Barnes as suitable for moose (minimum 2000 ft/lb by their standards).  It seems to me that if you are comfortable with any possible increased felt recoil from a 160 vs 140 gr bullet, I would use the 160 and be happy.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

sakorick

First, thanks for the tips and encouragement. Yes, my scope has paralax adjustment and I use it. Second, all this up to here is moot as I tried the 150gr Nosler BT this morning and shot a 1.43 250 yard group. The Sako obviously likes the 150 grainers.....whew after 7 different bullets the cream rose to the top. I'll have to do some scope tweaking then on to the 400 yard target. This rifle has a habit of improving over range....I sure hope that trend holds at 400....if it does, my long ranger is ready for season. Regards, Rick.

gitano

About 0.6 MOA - I'd say that oughta do it!.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

SHOW OFF I would call you a whipper snapper too but you got me by a couple of years.:biggthumpup:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: