Don't tell me I can't....

Started by gitano, July 11, 2008, 10:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

swage .510" bullets in a reloading press.

This is the first bullet I made from the swaging die I cut. I am pleased with it. It's a bit heavy at 550, but that's easily remedied. Dave Corbin, and others, have repeatedly told me that it is not possible to swage bullets larger than about .30 caliber on 'regular' reloading presses. When I pressed for reasons, the 'weather' suddenly got hazy. Continued pressing on my part lead to reasons like, "It takes too much pressure" and "The strokes are too short on reloading presses".

Both those justifications may be true for some kinds of swaging operations, but I was very clear - repeatedly - that my needs were simple. Of course "simple" often doesn't sell hardware. I need neither great force, nor a long stroke to make these bullets. The jacket - the forward part of a 'magnum' cartridge case - is nearly pre-formed, and the core is too, as it is simply the Lee 458 Postell 3R cast bullet. Here's a picture of the starting components.

On the left is a .338 Win Mag case. Next is the case with the head parted (I use the rear of the case as a jacket too after turning the belt off), and the neck turned off the shoulder. The forward part is what is used for the jacket in these bullets. In the middle is the Lee .458 3R Postell (507-grains from my mould). I simply insert the Postell into the front of the Mag case, and press into the swaging die.

Of course, I haven't shot them yet, but my previous experiments using the case heads as jackets was very promising. I expect these to do at least as well. Consistency will be necessary for good precision shooting, but I think I can get all the consistency I need in final weight by weighing each 'jacket' and core prior to swaging.

I also like the long nose on these bullets. That turns out to be purely serendipity (blind good fortune) as it is the profile of the "reamer" I used. That reamer cost me $21.99 (13.90 for the reamer, 6.10 for shipping, and 1.99 for "handling") off EBay. Custom reamer-making shops either said they couldn't make one, or quoted a price of at least $140 (some MUCH higher). The "reamer" is actually a 1/2" "tree burr". Here's a picture of one exactly like what I got. http://cgi.ebay.com/TITAN-1-2-SG-5-DBL-CUT-POINTED-TREE-CARBIDE-BURR-NEW_W0QQitemZ200135383124QQihZ010QQcategoryZ12578QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

While the reamer is only 0.500" in maximum diameter, it occurred to me that I could mount it in my tool-holder and offset it the necessary 0.010" to ream the ID I wanted. (Actually I reamed it to 0.515" so I could run it through my .510" Lee bullet sizer for an exact final diameter.) Worked like I knew what I was doin'.

Reaming the die is tedious, as the whole surface of the burr is cutting. In order to make the cavity as smooth as possible, I was only able to take 0.020" cut between clearing chips from the cavity and the burr. Since the cavity is 1.5" deep (deep enough to make a 600-grain bullet), that was 75 cuts (1.500"/0.020" = 75).

It wasn't 'easy' to get to this point of actually making bullets, but it wasn't 'hard' either. It just required a hard head. Once the burr was found, the process went like this:

1) Thread a 3" piece of 1" diameter steel rod to 7/8-14 to fit a standard reloading die.
2) Drill a 3/16" pilot hole (later to become the hole through which the bullet is removed from the swage) through the threaded billet.
3) Ream to 1" depth with the burr mounted in the tail-stock.
4) Ream (with 1/2" drill) "shank" to 0.5" deep.
5) Install burr in tool-holder - off-set desired amount for exact diameter.
6) "Cut" (as opposed to "ream", as now the burr is only cutting on one side) into full depth of 1.5".
7) Polish.
8) Make a 'ram' that fits in the reloading die ram, for pressing the unswaged components into the swage.

Making the core should be obvious - it's just a cast bullet. Making the jacket is a bit more complicated, but not too big a deal.
1) Chuck the magnum case (.338, 7mm, .300, etc., any 'standard' magnum case) in the lathe with the head out.
2) Turn off belt.
3) Remove and chuck case in lathe with mouth out.
4) Turn off neck.
5) Part case at predetermined length for specific bullet weight.

At that point, it's just a matter of inserting the nose of the core into the 'jacket', applying a little lube, and pressing into the swage. A tap on the nose through the top hole drops the bullet out of the swage. It pops out at about 0.5145" in diameter. I then run it through the Leee sizing die, and it is 0.5103". Voila'.

And it didn't cost me $2000 dollars, which is what it would have cost me (including shipping) to get Corbin's complete set-up. Of course his equipment might very likely make 'better' bullets. However, if these shoot as straight as the seriously clunky ones I made "by hand" before shot, I'll be happy as a clam.

I'll post a 'photo essay' on the whole process later. It's a bit dificult to work efficiently on a lathe and try to take pictures too - especially if you're a novice. :confused:

Paul

PS - Calculated BC for this bullet is .454 - :D
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul, just like I told you before, we are not qualified to do this hi tech work without at least 20 years serious training, just keep that in mind the next time you want something and the experts say to forget it.
;D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Daryl (deceased)

Sounds like quite an operation Paul.  I've never attempted anything like that, but it sounds interesting.

Looking forward to the picture show. :)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:
I am impressed!:bowdown:   Now you just need to figure out how to "bond" them.  Do you have any guesses as to how high an impact velocity they can take and still hold together?  

You might have to draft your daughter as "photo journalist" so that those of us with less than average understanding of tooling can follow along.

Can't wait to see the results on game with these.  They're for the Alaskan right?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Wow... My earlier reply just vanished in to the 'ether'. Anyway...

Thanks Glenn.

These are indeed for the Alaskan.

As for the 'bonding', I'm not too worried about it. Even if the jacket peels away, the .458" core will still make some serious hurt. Also, the earlier ones I made "by hand" held together well even after hitting some big rocks. To me, and especially for this rifle, the primary purpose of the jacket is to prevent leading of the bore.

That said, Paul Hoskins told me how he bonds his jackets and cores, and it sounds like a good idea. Essentially, it is soldering the core to the jacket by "tinning" the jacket, inserting the core, swaging the bullet to size, then heating just enough to melt the solder - voila', bonded jacket and core. If that doesn't hold it together, not much will.

If these end up shooting as straight as the Northwest Custom Projectile 500s do, (6" groups at 300 yds), I'll be bringing these to Colorado this fall for elk. I'd love to plug an elk with the .50 using home-made bullets.

I'll see if I can get one of my daughters to be the photographer when I make the die for the Lachmiller press.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

A big BOOOM!!! I can't wait:MOGRIN:

Are you going to reload a few that might even make me regret shooting it :greentongue:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteAre you going to reload a few that might even make me regret shooting it

I didn't realize that was possible...  ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

subsonic

Definitely interesting now that a box of factory ammo for the lowly .30-06 is $40.

The first thing I thought of was starting with .223 or .22 Hornet cases and some appropriately smaller cast bullets. .30-30 brass might make for some nice .35 cals.

I have an assortment of "trees" already - but no lathe. I have used mine in a die grinder for port work on manifolds.

recoil junky

NOt really Paul, I just want to test you. :biggthumpup:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

M1Garand

Interesting procedure...I'd be interesting to watch you make one....maybe you can make a video and post it on you tube...:D

gitano

Well...

I spent a few hours today working on getting consistent weights, using difference parts of the mag case, and generally getting to know how things work. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the "good, the bad, and the ugly". I learned a lot today.

I won't be videoing it, but I will be creating a photo-essay. When I broached the subject of one of my daughters being the photographer, I was pleasantly surprized when when both volunteered. I'm going to continue to get educated for the next week or so before I put a "how to" together. Hopefully by then I'll have most of the kinks worked out. I figured out how to make a good boat-tail, but there were several "uglies" before I got it right. Looks like I can easily keep the BC above .400 if I stay at least 500 grains. If they shoot straight, I'll have an elk and buffalo bullet that should let me shoot as far as I care to.

More later.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

It's later so...

Attached are a couple of pictures of my latest attempts.

The first order of business was to get the components weighed so that they can be assembled into a specific weight. That involved a lot of trial-and-error. The 560-grainer is bigger than I thought I wanted, but if I can live with, (literally), 3450 ft-lbs at the muzzle, (1675 f/s MV), this bullet will deliver 2000 ft-lbs to 300 yds and drop only about 27" at 300 when sighted in dead on at 190 (+6" at 100). That's a thumper for sure. Unfortunately, it 'thumps' at my end too. My current 500-grain load produces about 3216 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

The 500-grainer drops about 32" at 300 and retains "only" about 1750 ft-lbs.

I suspect that the true BC of the flat-base 536-grainer won't really be .416. (Which reminds me, I have the BCs swapped on the two right-hand bullets. The boat-tail should be .416 and the FB .414.) There is no practical difference between .416 and .414. The variability in muzzle velocity between shots will generate greater point of impact differences than 2-one-hundredths of a unit in BC. And that boat-tail angle is the one that yields the highest BC for that bullet.

I learned a couple of things in this exercise so far. First, ALL of the bullet MUST be in the swage, regarless of whether it is touching the walls or not, before the real swaging commences. Otherwise you end up with the left and middle bullets below.

Also, the swage probably needs a little "easing" at the mouth, lest you end up with the bullet on the right.

Swaging a .50 caliber bullet on a handloading press DOES require some definite muscle. However, I figured a way to do it that minimized the groaning. I seat the swage 'til the lever 'cams over' fairly easy. Then I retract the lever, rotate the die 1/4 turn deeper, and 'cam over' again. I repeat that until it's all I can do to cam over - so far about 4 times. Then I rotate only 1/8th of a turn, and use some 'extra' muscle. Usually, the second 1/8th rotation completes the forming.

It should also be noted that the core material here is NOT pure lead. Pure lead will make a BIG difference. I simply wanted to see what I could do using a lead alloy with a BHN of about 22-ish. I MAY be able to do all of the forming in one stroke with a pure lead core. I am annealing the jackets, but I really don't think that matters too much with regard to the swaging.

I've decided to make a 'jackscrew' swaging press. (The kind of screw represented by a vice.) With a jackscrew with a pitch equal to the pitch on my lathe's leade screw (8 turns per inch), and a 15" wheel/lever, I can get about 40 tons of pressure on the base of the bullet. I like a jackscrew better than either a lever like a reloading press or a hydraulic-driven one. Just seems like I'd have more "feel". While the hydraulic-driven ram might deliver more force, the jackscrew will definitely deliver more than the lever-driven ram.

More as more comes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I hate to rain on anyones parade but the core should be swaged into the jacket before the point is formed. This will eliminate air pockets. Even cores that have been bonded to the jacket should be swaged with a punch in a die before forming the point. This will bring the bullet to the finished diameter. Then the point can be formed. The point forming die has to be a couple tenth's bigger than the core seating die. This will allow the bullet to enter the die with no trouble. I always make my point forming dies with a body long enough to allow the entire bullet to enter before any forming is done. If not, you will wind up with something akin to the wrinkled bullets you show. Those grease grooves in the original cast bullets shouldn't be there for good performance. The outside of the core should be smooth and solid. This will minimize air pockets. Swaging the core in the jacket will bring the bullet to the proper diameter AND eliminate air pockets. I suspect the cause of the wrinkles is because the die cavity and the bullet are the same diameter. You CANNOT put a pin in a hole of the same diameter. You need at least .0001" clearance. Lube on a core or in a jacket is a defnite no no.   .............Paul H

gitano

I'm not sure I'm following Paul.

Quote...the core should be swaged into the jacket before the point is formed. This will eliminate air pockets.
I'm assuming you refer to air pockets between the jacket and core. With the grease grooves in the core, that would appear to me to be a non-issue, or conversely, the issue of "air pockets' would be so big that anything trapped during swaging would be trivial in comparison.

Even cores that have been bonded to the jacket should be swaged with a punch in a die before forming the point. This will bring the bullet to the finished diameter. Then the point can be formed.
I don't follow this. Do I understand you correctly to be saying that the core and jacket should be swaged to a cylinder first, then a point swaged?

The point forming die has to be a couple tenth's bigger than the core seating die. This will allow the bullet to enter the die with no trouble. I always make my point forming dies with a body long enough to allow the entire bullet to enter before any forming is done. If not, you will wind up with something akin to the wrinkled bullets you show.
This I understand. :)

Those grease grooves in the original cast bullets shouldn't be there for good performance.
I understand that is the conventional wisdom, and it makes some sense. However, I've got a hard head, and I can see where it may be "theoretically sensical" but a non-issue in actual practice. Here's my thinking. First, what we KNOW based on past experience and fundamental physics of rotational motion:

1) Bullets with grease grooves can be "super-accurate". (Over a hundred years of experience.)
2) The "issue" with "air pockets" is gyroscopic imbalance due to the center-of-mass (CoM) not being coincident with the center-of-form (CoF). (Physics)
3) An object rotates around the CoM, not the CoF. When the CoM is not coincident with the CoF, the circle described by the bullet's rotation is larger than the circle described by the bullet rotating on it's Cof (its long axis). (Physics)
4) If a bullet's core were only half the width of the bullet's diameter, the total displacement of the CoM would only be 1/4 of the bullet's diameter off the CoF. It is true however, that as range increases, the diameter of the spiral that the bullet's path describes increases - it looks like a cone. However, fairly long ranges and fairly large imbalances have to be involved before that cone is larger than one bullet diameter. (Physics)

Of course ANY deviation from the "best possible" is unacceptable to target shooters... They're the ones that started the whole "air pocket" issue.

5) The variability in weight of lube in grease grooves is hugely in excess of the variability in CoM due to "air pockets" unless the air pockets are huge. (Reality)
And remember #1 above.

6) I've shot bullets made like this before, and they are not less accurate than 'factory' bullets. In some cases they shot better. (Personal 'knowledge')

Now to what I'm making an educated guess on:

1) The grease grooves, and their associated air pockets, are not going to move the CoM of the bullet far enough for me to measure it in the context of all of the other variables that cause the point of impact to move around (muzzle velocity, wind, operator error, etc.).
2) While I do like the best precision I can get within reasonable limits, I am not a target shooter. I'm guessing, and hoping, that the variability that I am introducing due to procedure, technique and tools, is tolerable with respect to target precision.

I suspect the cause of the wrinkles is because the die cavity and the bullet are the same diameter.
Nope, it's becaue the whole bullet wasn't in the die before swaging started. The die is 0.515" in ID, the pre-formed bullet is 0.5105 in OD. The formed bullet pops out at 0.5145". I then run it through a Lee 0.510" sizing die, and it ends up 0.5105" OD.

Lube on a core or in a jacket is a defnite no no.
That I understand.
.............Paul H

I appreciate your experienced advice here Paul, and should 'things' go south at the range, I'll be back looking for more specific guidance on how to get where I want to be.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I try not to leave anything to chance when making bullets. I always swage the core into the jacket first. Bullet jackets ,as bought, are usually around .002" smaller than the finished bullet. When the core is swaged in, it brings the bullet to proper diameter or the size of the die cavity. This will also minimize the chances of an air pocket. At the same time the jacket springs inward gripping the core even tighter. Air pockets DO happen. Especially with cast cores. They may be minimal but air pockets nonetheless. After the core is swaged in the jacket, you have a cylindrical bullet. The next step is making a point on it. This point forming die cavity has to be larger than the finished bullet diameter. This cavity also has to be long enough to allow the entire bullet to enter before ANY point forming takes place. Obviously you have determined that already. Dropping a core into a jacket and not swaging it in will not give good contact all over no matter how tight it feels. You cannot squeeze a jacket down on a core and have a good bullet either. The jacket will spring back while the core doesn't change. It may work but it's just not the best way to do it. It can shed the jacket on impact with most any hard object like bone or even if the bullet mushrooms.

Normally, (almost always) three dies are needed to make soft point bullets. The first die swages the core in and brings the bullet to final diameter. The second die forms the point. The third die forms the lead tip. The tip forming die is another cylindrical die like the core swaging die but a bit larger. The point formed bullet will have a little lead "pipe" sticking out the tip where the lead is extruded into the ejector punch hole. The tip forming die will have a punch that closely fits the die cavity and has a blind cavity of it's own that matches the point shape. The cavity in this punch can have a form that will make the point as sharp as you want it. I see little sense in making it very sharp pointed. It will batter very easy no matter how carefully you handle it if pure lead is used for a core.

I'm well aware cast bullets with grease grooves can be accurate. These grooves are concentric. A bullet with an air pocket on one side can't be consistently accurate because of being out of balance. Paul, making your own jacketed bullets is no big deal. A bullet making press just makes it easier and more consistent if you make the cores all the same weight and out of the same material. I'll send you a couple of Corbin's books on swaging bullets if you don't have them. They don't tell you a lot. It's mostly BS and patting himself on the back as king of the home bullet making business.    ..............Paul H

Tags: